Anyone here into cars?

Talk about anything in here.

Anyone here into cars?

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Anyone? I just recently got interested in learning about them and figuring out how to fix up older models. Maybe that's part of my quest to get a Trans Am someday...haha. In any case, what would be the best way to go about learning about the insides of them and such? How they work and all? That is, without taking a class on it.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 pm

I'd take classes and get some Chilton manuals.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Um, befriend a mechanic?

Other than that, I don't know. Cars aren't my forte. I mean, looking under the hood of a car is like looking into a maze to me. If I messed with it the car might explode. XD
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Haha, well, it would be good to know. I seem to have an inherent touch of destroying vehicles...
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:17 pm

I guess it would be good to know. So if I ever get a car of my own, I'll get my dad to show me the important stuff I would need to know, like how to change the oil and stuff. As for now, I know how to put gas in it, drive it, and check the oil, so I'm good for now I guess. XD
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Shinja » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:33 pm

the best way to ever learn how to work on cars and the way they run is unfortunately buy an old car and learn as you go^^. my first car was a 1974 MG midget i bought when i was 19 almost 7 years ago, its still an old car but theres few systems on it i haven't worked on, it has been hard and troubling at time especially when it was my only means of transport, but it has taught me allot about work, patience, and vanity. it'll also teach you the easier way to do things, after youve already done the hardest way^^

trans am's are cool but if your going to get an old car to fix up find one that predates computers, much easier to tweak and repair
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:56 am

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1289429) wrote:Um, befriend a mechanic?

That's probably a good suggestion. They would probably have half-dismantled engines lying around so you could get a better idea of what it looks like on the inside and how it works.
And perhaps try reading up on thses things. Maybe howstuffworks.com has something? Or a decent book?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 am

Reading and learning through experience are the best methods. Either that, or like I suggested, learning from someone else who already knows a lot about what it is your trying to learn about.

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 am

I inadvertently learned a lot about cars this year. I'll tell you how I did it. First I bought the cheapest cars I could find that were still kind of cool. This guaranteed that they were at the end of their natural lives and had been run hard by wanna-be-fast-and-furiousers *shakes cane* for close to a decade. Then I moved in with a friend from church who happened to be an avid shade tree mechanic. Whenever the cars broke down and/or exploded he helped me research the problem and oftentimes tried to fix it himself on the lawn. Between trying to find ways to keep my costs down and seeing this guy tear apart my automobiles I really learned a lot! Through no fault of my own I'm actually at the point where I can do a few minor things myself. If you applied yourself I'm sure you could get even more out of this experience.
Cap'n Nick

Return to General