Energy Drinks and caffeine addiction

Talk about anything in here.

Energy Drinks and caffeine addiction

Postby king atlantis » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:52 pm

anyone else love energy drinks/coffe/addicted to caffeine?

around here, we refer to caffeine as 'christian crack'...
i was thinking about this, drinking my large expresso at 10 at night, and thought it would be something to write about.

so here is the thread to post your favorites, why, and discuss. even discuss the negative effects.

i love:
ultimate mocha from the coffe bean (iced mocha with choclate covered expresso beans in it)
dark roasted back brazilian roast
Monster
Monster Khaos and MX-118
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby Shilohan ninja » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I wouldn't say I'm particularly addicted to any of those (although I'm still trying to break my Mountain Dew habbit), but one energy drink I've grown fond of is called XS. It's an evergy drink without the caffine; WHAT A CONCEPT!
:lol:
Finish Strong - 2Tim. 4:7,8
"[color="SeaGreen"]Speak up for those who never get a chance to choose life rather than those who have rights and use them improperly."[/color] - A good friend of mine
[color="Purple"]Normal is a setting on a washing machine[/color]. -A youth pastor of mine
[SIZE="5"]JESUS IS LORD![/SIZE] End of descussion.
[color="Red"]Farewell to false pretention
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell tomorrow burns[/color] - Demon HunterMy Blog
Shilohan ninja

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:08 pm

I'll take Tea over Coffee but I love both.

The only Energy drink I'll drink is AMP! 8D

I can't stand any of the others... >x<

but I don't drink either of them very often..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Neither. Tea FTW.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby indyrocker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:30 pm

try combining 5 hour energy and a 12 oz red bull and its like liquid crack you will be up for hours.
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:35 pm

I hardly ever drink anything with caffeine in it now.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:19 am

I avoid both drinks because I care about my health. =p

Edit: The only time I get coffee with caffeine is if I have to be up in the morning for something and I don't get enough sleep. Otherwise, I always get decaf.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:42 am

Good call Ryan.
I sometimes have coffee and I've only had one energy drink ever in my life. I don't qualify.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:42 am

I'm a Mt. Dew lover ^^ Especially, the new flavors <33

To tell you the truth.. I never really thought of Mt. Dew as an energy drink o.o;

Monster taste good too ^^ Never took that as an energy drink either ^^

EDIT: Umm, not saying I drink Monster on a regular basis, but they are good o.o
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mave » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:37 am

I never take energy drinks. I'm an avid coffee drinker, alternating with green tea.

The good thing is I never drink it too regularly enough for me to be addicted to it. I have no problems taking a break from it during weekends. XD
Mave

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:01 am

I drink maybe 2 or 3 cups of coffee a week. Coffee in moderation has actually been shown to have health benefits (of course with the cream and sugar, it probably isn't as healthy anymore XD ) What's weird is that hot coffee doesn't keep me awake (in fact, it makes me feel a bit sleepy with the warmness) --but cold coffee does a bit.

I rarely drink energy drinks. I used to drink some Rockstar when I worked the night shift at the library and needed an extra boost for a few hours (shelving books and pushing carts is hard work), but then there would always be the crash a few hours later --I would get so tired. XD
The energy drink with cactus water --I think it's called Meteor Rain or something --was also good --tasted like juice --drank it before I took my driving test to get by license (I had to be waiting in line when the DPS opened).
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:01 am

Tsukiomi, Forget Monster! DRINK AMP! (it's kinda like Mountain Dew.. XD)

I tried Monster once, and like... It tasted like Beer....(or at least how Beer smells, I can remember being a kid and some of my realitives drank once in a whle and EWW..) Monster is awful...

But yeah, I'm not addicted to anything really either.. XD I drink Coffe RARELY (pretty much because my Dad drinks it like a camel, and its' REALLY strong... I'm afraid to drink more because that's a LOT of caffine...)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby RobinSena » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:09 am

I mostly stick with coffee. At most, 4-5 cups in a day. Seldom more, sometimes less. :P
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:38 am

I prefer coffee over energy drinks any day.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 am

Energy drinks taste nasty and are bad for you. They don't work on me anyway, plus they're practically just high fructose corn syrup, water, and caffeine. At least coffee is somewhat natural. Plus, I think it tastes better. XD

However, my coffee-drinking is pretty occasional. I prefer tea and drink it way more often.

Apparently, that 5-Hour Energy stuff works pretty well-- or at least, it works well on my fiance. It comes in a really small bottle and I don't think it has much sugar in it, but it does have a lot of vitamins and stuff.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:05 am

[font="palatino Linotype"]Why isn't there a selection for people who can't physically drink caffiene...?
XD

Ah, if I HAD to drink some type of caffiene, it'd be coffee, prolly.
(Starbucks, FTW)[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 pm

I gave up caffeine a few weeks ago. The first day was fine. The second day I was tired and had a headache. The third day I could barely move and my own heartbeat was pounding like a hammer against the inside of my skull. This lasted until the fifth day, when I was basically fine except for the gaping void in my personality.

I'm mostly okay now, but I'll never forget that week!
Cap'n Nick

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm not really addicted to either, but I do love coffee. When I took a Maymester course this past year, I had coffee every morning (14 classes), but I can only stomach coffee if I have something on my stomach (something with protein is usually the best choice)--otherwise I get a bit nauseous/lightheaded. Cold coffee is usually less harsh on me though, which is why I think I'm the only person who will get a frapp at Starbucks in January. XD

I never drink energy drinks though. I think they'd kill me. XD

Also, tea FTW.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:25 pm

So that's what happened to you, Nick XDD

Just playin ^^ Glad the caffeine cut worked out ^ ^

Lol, I think I know which one you're talking about, Kit-chan ^^ Well, maybe not the name, but I've seen it/smelled it xDD It does smell like beer ^^ I think the one I like is the berry tasting one ^^ It's pretty good ^^ I'm not sure if it's the original one or not.. There's too many @___@

I never really had straight up coffee before ^ ^ Well, does one sip count o.o? And even that was a Monster drink :P It was my nephew's 8D
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1242393) wrote:Also, tea FTW.

QFT

I love English Breakfast and Earl Grey tea --just add a touch of milk, and they're perfect --I have a big box of English Breakfast in my dorm right now.

I said that I drink coffee, but the funny thing is that I only drink it at work or at church --at home, I drink water, tea, and Crystal Light --I have a coffee pot, but I'm not using it --the last time I bought a small container of Maxwell's House, I wound up having to throw it away --it was, like, moldy --I don't make coffee at home often enough. XD
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:26 pm

I never had any energy drinks before. I don't remember, but if I had, it was one time. most of the sodas I drink have no caffeine. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like to drink frappicino at starbucks sometimes. I haven't had frappicino in a long time, so I wish had that right now.:drool:
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:02 pm

I cannot stand energy drinks, though I do drink too much soda on the side.
Fish and Chips

Postby silver_wolf454 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:07 pm

Tea

Rockstar

Amp

Volt

Monster

Red Bull.....I drink it all....XD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"][color="Green"]Banner art by: Shao-Feng-Li[/color][/SIZE]

"I am but mad north-north west. When the wind is southerly....I know a hawk from a handsaw."- Hamlet, Shakespeare's Hamlet

[color="DarkOrchid"] "There's rosemary - that's for remembrance. And there is pansies - that's for thoughts." [/color] -Ophelia, Shakespeare's Hamlet
silver_wolf454

Postby minakichan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:15 pm

I don't like coffee... I like coffee-flavored sugar-milk XD

I like some soda, like lemon or slightly fruity ones, but I drink it so rarely that when I do, my nose burns up like crazy and my chest gasses sooooo badly.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm glad to see so many fellow tea drinkers. It's unfortunate that we weren't included in the options for the poll, though. I think we may have had a shot at winning!
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Back before I grew unable to digest sugar and a number other ingredients in the typical energy drink, I drank Bawls by the case. Its a UNIX geek thing...

Now, it's Coffee, straight (can't have milk or sugar) or Tea. Green, Oolong, Orange Pekoe, Black... I love 'em all. I keep a bag of Matcha in my refrigerator. If I'm at Starbucks, I get an Iced Americano or a hot Americano, based upon outside temperature.

My only canned drink is Boss Black. It's one of the wonderful canned coffees from Japan, and the only one I know of that's simply perfectly brewed coffee (actually, they mix brewed coffee and espresso) without any additives. If you aren't a drinker of black coffee, it tastes bland. You have to really appreciate the subletities of coffee flavor to get why people love the stuff.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Straight up coffee is one of the more benign things you can drink, and two cups contain all the ceffeine your body will be able to use. Plus I likes teh taist! I associate bad stuff with the energy drinks since unless I'm in a gas station the only time I see them are in the hands of tweener walking in to my store to trash it. And I don't mean like "oh, I'm gonna not put this merchandise back where I got it" trash it, no I mean "Oh, I'm gonna claw through the drywall and have peeing contests in the bathroom" trash it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby king atlantis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:37 pm

[color="Red"]i love tea as well, but it just doesnt have the caffeine needed for this thread!

personaly:
monster>amp.
amp just tastes like...idk, mountain dew...and Vault>Mt.Dew

i <3 coffee, and those double shot things are good!

about energy drinks being bad-
thats a load of carp. most of them only have 200-300 mg of caffeine, and that only hurts you if you arnt use to drinking ANY caffeine.
i just read this whole article, and basically, thwe worse doctors ever get are patiants 'feeling bad'....
the only time their truly hurtful is if you drink like, 3 or more in one sitting.[/color]
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:01 pm

which is what I most often see the 10-15 crowd doing. hehe.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 pm

king atlantis (post: 1242479) wrote:[color="Red"]about energy drinks being bad-
thats a load of carp. most of them only have 200-300 mg of caffeine, and that only hurts you if you arnt use to drinking ANY caffeine.
i just read this whole article, and basically, thwe worse doctors ever get are patiants 'feeling bad'....
the only time their truly hurtful is if you drink like, 3 or more in one sitting.[/color]

Yeah, but there's also loads of taurine and guarana in them. And 200-300 mg of caffeine, while not really fatal, is no way good for your health. Top it with the loads of sugar and/or other artificial sweeteners and it's like you're drinking more soda a day than the average individual in the US. If you're drinking thes frequently, don't be surprised to run into many health problems later on.

Oh yeah, and caffeine addiction. Something is wrong with you if you think it's cool to be dependent on caffeine. So many people drink coffee to get rid of headaches due to their dependency. I think it's dumb, and that it would be better to deal with the headaches for a few days to let it get out of your system.

With all due respect, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to not know that those things are pretty bad for you. I know two people, one who had to go on a strict water-only died because he drank way too many energy drinks. The other had to drink water as well as take salt pills because she almost died of dehydration for drinking soda too much.

And seriously, energy drinks is such a retarded fad anyway. You don't look cool for drinking them and nobody cares if you're a Monster-connoisseur or whatever. In all seriousness, energy drinks are now beer for children.
Mr. SmartyPants

Next

Return to General