Sweet Smell of CAA

Talk about anything in here.

Sweet Smell of CAA

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:05 am

A few years ago I heard somewhere that some scientists apparently are working on a small attachment for PCs that, when you visit certain websites, it will begin releasing certain smells to go with site. The smells are encoded into the webpages and they tell the attachment what combinations to release.

Sounds questionable, wether or not the story is real. But that's beside the point. If such a bizarre device ever gets produces....what smell should the CAA forums have?

Popcorn?
Coffee?
Old Shoes?

You decided. :grin:

I vote for coffee.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Scribs » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:28 am

I remember hearing that news story as well.

I think it should have the smell of a country farm house, the smell of the outdoors mixed with fresh baked apple pie, and a few mothballs.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby termyt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:03 am

piloswine wrote:I remember hearing that news story as well.

I think it should have the smell of a country farm house, the smell of the outdoors mixed with fresh baked apple pie, and a few mothballs.

Thanks for qualifying that. Those aren't the only smells associated with a country farm.

My personal choice would be for the smell of bread baking.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby shooraijin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:23 am

The faint smell of acetone as you unwrap a newly bought DVD.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:31 am

shooraijin wrote:The faint smell of acetone as you unwrap a newly bought DVD.

No thanks.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:00 am

A high school locker room.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby shooraijin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:37 am

bigsleepj wrote:No thanks.

Okay, how about the faint smell of acetone as you unwrap a newly bought CD, then?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kkun » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:50 am

shooraijin wrote:Okay, how about the faint smell of acetone as you unwrap a newly bought CD, then?

Hey, new CDs are like drugs to me, Dr. Shooby. I smell the wrapping when I buy one. >_> You put that smell on CAA and I'll be logged in here until I pass out due to dehydration.
Kkun

Postby dragonshimmer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:56 am

Fresh laundry. I think CAA should smell like fresh laundry.

But then, of course, I'd try to wrap myself up in my computer and I just don't think that would work. I would also be visiting the website even MORE than I visit now. Like Jamie, someone would have to "rescue" me from the computer.
dragonshimmer

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:57 am

Nothing--NOTHING--beats that "new videogame console" smell. Fresh outta the box. Mmmmm. ::eats DreamCast::
Joshua Christopher

Postby Kkun » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:57 am

dragonshimmer wrote: Fresh laundry. I think CAA should smell like fresh laundry.

But thenk, of course, I'd try to wrap myself up in my computer and I just don't think that would work. I would also be visiting the website even MORE than I visit now. Like Jamie, someone would have to "rescue" me from the computer.

OOH, OOH, HOPE! That's an awesome idea. But would the laundry be Downy fresh?
Kkun

Postby White Raven » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:19 am

Think it should smell like appels.
Can't you just smell them now?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby termyt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:30 am

Kkun wrote:Hey, new CDs are like drugs to me, Dr. Shooby. I smell the wrapping when I buy one. >_> You put that smell on CAA and I'll be logged in here until I pass out due to dehydration.

I feel that way about legos.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:45 am

Yeah, I have to agree with Hope on this one. It's gotta smell like fresh laundry, all homey, warm, and fluffy!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Galant » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 am

No, the smells should be seasonal. Each week changing to something else that relates to that season and any special events of the time - so spring, summer, autumn and winter, easter (hot cross buns anyone?), christmas etc.

:)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Adopted by Starfire!

OATS - for Shoobie goodness!
Galant

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:06 am

maybe it should smell like the creator of the website?

Smells like Ashley... ya either love it or hate it

me personally... i dunno... what does Ashley smell like...? other than like a human. Like fresh cut spring flowers? Or 4 week old lasagna?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Galant » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:20 am

Ooh now there's a question! However, she's a girl, creative, lively, and now at seminary - so I imagine she smells quite wonderful. I'm thinking some light but joyful perfume, perhaps the smell of healthy hair with a fruity shampoo and an ever so light presence of the smell of books.

Mmmmmm.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Adopted by Starfire!

Galant

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:42 am

Galant wrote:Ooh now there's a question! However, she's a girl, creative, lively, and now at seminary - so I imagine she smells quite wonderful. I'm thinking some light but joyful perfume, perhaps the smell of healthy hair with a fruity shampoo and an ever so light presence of the smell of books.

Mmmmmm.

Just remember not to log on when she's been outside sweating all day.

*shot*

I would say... the smell of a bookstore. Or coffee house.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby dragonshimmer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:42 am

Kkun wrote:OOH, OOH, HOPE! That's an awesome idea. But would the laundry be Downy fresh?

Is there any other way for it to be? O_o
dragonshimmer

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 am

Azier the Swordsman wrote:Just remember not to log on when she's been outside sweating all day.

*shot*

thats when deoderant and febreeze come in handy!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:15 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:thats when deoderant and febreeze come in handy!

*Azier buys several cases of Air Freshner in a can to keep near his computer...
Azier the Swordsman

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:18 am

As the originator of this thread I have to say you're going into strange territories....
bigsleepj

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:39 am

I wouldn't want such a technology. Fast browsers would be overwhelmed by scents, and could you imagine what html spam would be like?

Bob: Toodle-doodle-doo, I'm gonna check my email.
Bob: Hmm, that looks interesting...

Bob: ...oh... OH... ARGGH, D4 P41|\|! D4 P41|\|!

John (coming in): Hey, Bob, you got that report from - OH! Geez! What did you have for lunch?!
Bob: It's not me, it's the computer!
John: Look, blame the dog for all I care, but get some help! That smell is... D4 P41|\|!

Sam (coming in): Hey, Joe, Bob, excellent, I need to talk to you about that report from Accounting. As far as the budget for next year - HOLY FLIPPING SCHNICKIES OF DEATH!!! WHAT IS THAT SMELL?!?!?!

(six months later)
New guy: So who's that, I don't think I've met him yet?
Sally: That's Bob, you'll want to keep you distance from him.
New guy: Oh, why's that?
Sally: Gas. Trust me. You'll want to keep your distance.

(Later, on Bob's employee evaluation)
Note: has difficulty integrating with team

(a little later)
Boss: Bob, I'm afraid we're going to have to let you go. You're just not fitting in here, so we think it's best if you move on. *aside* And I suggest doing something about that gas.
Bob: AAARRGGHHH!!! Enough with the gas!! It was the computer!!! *goes wild and is dragged out by security*
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby White Raven » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:07 am

Kaligraphic wrote:I wouldn't want such a technology. Fast browsers would be overwhelmed by scents, and could you imagine what html spam would be like?

Bob: Toodle-doodle-doo, I'm gonna check my email.
Bob: Hmm, that looks interesting...

Bob: ...oh... OH... ARGGH, D4 P41|\|! D4 P41|\|!

John (coming in): Hey, Bob, you got that report from - OH! Geez! What did you have for lunch?!
Bob: It's not me, it's the computer!
John: Look, blame the dog for all I care, but get some help! That smell is... D4 P41|\|!

Sam (coming in): Hey, Joe, Bob, excellent, I need to talk to you about that report from Accounting. As far as the budget for next year - HOLY FLIPPING SCHNICKIES OF DEATH!!! WHAT IS THAT SMELL?!?!?!

(six months later)
New guy: So who's that, I don't think I've met him yet?
Sally: That's Bob, you'll want to keep you distance from him.
New guy: Oh, why's that?
Sally: Gas. Trust me. You'll want to keep your distance.

(Later, on Bob's employee evaluation)
Note: has difficulty integrating with team

(a little later)
Boss: Bob, I'm afraid we're going to have to let you go. You're just not fitting in here, so we think it's best if you move on. *aside* And I suggest doing something about that gas.
Bob: AAARRGGHHH!!! Enough with the gas!! It was the computer!!! *goes wild and is dragged out by security*

ROFL :lol: :dance: :rock:
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:14 am

*Laughs* Great, now the mods can be assigned smells...Lets just say some mods smell better then other mods. No names shall be used.
Stephen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:27 am

I'm sure the best smelling mod would be oldphil.... next shatterheart...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby termyt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:37 am

I'm not sure how to respond to the direction this thread is going with sounding like either a dirty old man or a sociopath, but I think I just did.
termyt

Postby Galant » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:49 am

Old Phil.......'Old Spice'?

Adopted by Starfire!

Galant

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:57 am

Galant wrote:Old Phil.......'Old Spice'?

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! And we don't mean this in a bad way, Mithr. :grin:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:55 pm

The faint smell of acetone as you unwrap a newly bought DVD.

That's exactly what I was going to say. :grin:
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Next

Return to General