I walked in to Barnes & Noble today, and...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:53 am

We got a comic store that carries more manga than our Barnes and Noble does, although sometimes you can get manga cheaper at Hastings. But for me it's a loyalty issue-- I always buy manga from Planet Comics. Because Rob hooks me up yo.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby madphilb » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:32 pm

I don't go near B&N, but Borders is at the closest mall, they only have 2 half-high bookcases of the Novels, they have a comic rack (with some Anime stuff) over in the magazine section... only a little less than the Walden in the mall... they have 3 bookcases, but one of them is 3/4 full of the D&D rulebooks and such.

I'm sure there are other/better places to find stuff... living in the Tampa Bay area (we've got AnimeNation about an hours drive from here, if that... they used to be closer but moved).

I wouldn't be surprised if a few bigger (dedicated) shops opened up in the next year or so with the popularity of Anime soaring. For that matter Best Buy, Suncoast, and even Walmart has a decent selection now.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby BrianC » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:22 pm

blufire wrote:Where I used to live (in florida) they had this place called Books A Million. Seriously, this was like the largest bookstore Ive ever been in. Too bad I wasnt into manga at the time.
I saw on the extras on an anime dvd this huge, multi story building in tokyo with wall to wall mangas, seemingly endless rows of shelves, stocked with manga series after series... i was like "wow."

There is one of those in the Arundel Mills Mall in MD. The manga selection at that one is decent (one bookcase), but pales in comparison to the selection at the Borders in the Annapolis Mall (three or four tall bookcases with about four or five shelves each and some places on the side that showcase new titles, though the first bookcase has some non manga GNs).
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:32 pm

Hastings is great not merely for Manga but also for Anime... Got Blue Seed Perfect Collection for like 39.95

If only they had one near where I lived now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ZiP » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:39 pm

Mike I have no clue what "manga" is
ZiP

Postby andyroo » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:31 pm

Manga is sort of like a comic book except the art is in black ink. The covers do have colour though. Also manga is made for the Japanese audiance, just incase you didn't know. The word is pronunciated mahngah. Some say it mainga. I wont name names... :rolls_eye

I have a website that explains this in full detail and a whole lot more besides just manga. It's in the Site Reviews forum titled Redone.

I hope that helps instead of confusing you or not explaining well enough.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby MillyFan » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:41 am

Hey, I was in Barnes and Noble today (in Santee), and their anime collection is getting MUCH better.

Whereas they used to have only the Evangelion box set and Excel Saga, they now have Gundam Wing Endless Waltz (-^.^- I want that) the entire Cowboy Bebop series, Metropolis, and several other titles that I don't remember.

Although they still don't carry manga or anime soundtracks ^sigh^

:thumb: anyway-and hopefully, next month (or the month after that) they will add more to their collection for sale, and I will add one new title to my DVD collection. ~.^

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:55 am

I have been to the Barnes & Noble over here once. They just opened I think. It's like a new outlet type thing..

Barnes & Noble didn't have quite as much manga as Waldenbooks. Waldenbooks is stocked with 'em. That's basically where I buy all my manga.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Straylight » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:25 pm

You guys are lucky, most bookshops in the UK don't have ANY manga at all..
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:03 pm

<Mike I have no clue what "manga" is>

Bite me.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Shinja » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:59 am

yeah but thats 2 years, in 2 years i know i would have wasted what i would have saved on somthing else like food or random guages or wire.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Return to General