CAA art school - introduction discussion

Talk about anything in here.

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:58 pm

CreatureArt wrote:Oh, and what about some photo tutorials from you, Khaki? From what I've seen of your photos so far you have a nice for capturing them with great colours and composition of elements within the frame.

Ummm...sure, I can try! I'm still learning myself, but I think I can give some tips and tricks about digital photography. I haven't been downtown in a while though...guess there's no better place to start!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Photosoph » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:00 pm

In addition to the things that are already listed, I would definitely love to see a backgrounds/effects tutorial from Jaden Mental. He has become so good with that so quickly.

Definitely! Jaden should really make some tutorials; he's so good at making backgrounds and effects from Jaden.

As for linework, mainly I was wondering how to make really clean linework; how do you make it so clean when drawing onto the computer?

Sweet! Someone to teach complex shading. ^^ Though I reckon TD does some excellent pencil shading too. ^^

Hey SA, I have an old tutorial on how to make .gif animations and a little information on drawing in gif format etc. It's already in the tutorials forum where it has been resting in peace for many moons... but I could possibly revamp it, or make a new .gif animation tutorial pretty quickly and easily.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby ICE-rocks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm

Shading is a pain. I need a better computer... And a better scanner (Push's computer off desk)
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:00 pm

I just noticed this thread and read Soul Alive's post. You guys gotta PM me about this stuff XD

I'll join in I think.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Ummm...sure, I can try! I'm still learning myself, but I think I can give some tips and tricks about digital photography. I haven't been downtown in a while though...guess there's no better place to start!

That'd be sweet. After playing aroudn with my friend's digital camera I realized how much I'd like to start using one to take interesting pics.

Hey SA, I have an old tutorial on how to make .gif animations and a little information on drawing in gif format etc. It's already in the tutorials forum where it has been resting in peace for many moons... but I could possibly revamp it, or make a new .gif animation tutorial pretty quickly and easily.

A .gif tut would be awesome. I've been meaning to practice that stuff anyways.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:48 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]Definitely! Jaden should really make some tutorials]

Im plannng on making a tutorial on how to do extremely clean linework! ^^
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:41 pm

You can sign me up as commited Soul Alive, though do you think that you could PM with some details on what exactly you are expecting?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby soul alive » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm

Alright - I think I got all the additions put in - I did mark some people as committed who were a little vague in their comments - if you're marked as committed and don't want to be, or aren't comfortable with doing one of the suggestions under your name, let me know. I don't want to put anybody on the spot, and there are to be no lynch mobs if you can't / don't want to.

Mave - what I think we're looking for from you for a lineart tutorial is the basics for the method that you use. If I remember correctly, you do your lineart by hand, and scan it in and do the shading/tones digitally. I know I would like to learn your methods for keeping scanned lineart clean, as well as what materials you use, line drawing style, etc. Hope that answers your question. And thanks for the link to the tutorials over at theproject.

Photosoph - that would be fantastic if you could re-work your tutorial for next month. Is it alright if we go with your gif tutorial for February?

That Dude - PM sent.

--

If anybody is planning on doing a tutorial and doesn't know what their schedule will look like a few months from now - go ahead and make your tutorial now whenever you have time, that way, it's done and you won't be in a potential pickle later.

And just wondering - would anybody be interested in a basic architecture hand drawing tutorial from me? It is my major after all, and I'd love to share.

And, whoops. I can't believe I forgot to put up examples last post of tutorials. Here they are now:

Image Image

For the tutorials - I'd prefer an image like the ones posted above. That way people can save and reference them to their computer more easily. Don't worry about making it a masterpiece of your Photoshop skilz, lol. As long as you have good step-by-step images and clear, readable explanations, it's fine if you put it together in MSPaint.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm commited to this too soul. :D
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Mave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:03 am

Vernhal wrote:Im plannng on making a tutorial on how to do extremely clean linework! ^^

Hey, can I collaborate with Vernhal on making nice clean linearts? :grin:
Mave

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:08 pm

soul alive wrote:If anybody is planning on doing a tutorial and doesn't know what their schedule will look like a few months from now - go ahead and make your tutorial now whenever you have time, that way, it's done and you won't be in a potential pickle later.

Yeah, I don't know when I'll be able to put a tutorial together. "Someday" is my best guess at the moment. :sweat:

It would be helpful if I could determine if there is any real interest for sculpture tutorials (so far I have seen no such interest expressed). If there is interest, what kind of tutorials would the interested parties want to see?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:56 pm

SA wrote:would anybody be interested in a basic architecture hand drawing tutorial from me? It is my major after all, and I'd love to share.
I'd love that! I'm not so good at drawing buildings and would love to be able to render good (or at least decent) architecture in my drawings. ^^"

Eirewolf wrote:It would be helpful if I could determine if there is any real interest for sculpture tutorials ...If there is ... what kind of tutorials would the interested parties want to see?
I'm a very interested party!! And as for tutorials I would like to see... well, here are some sample questions I hope may help ^^.

What materials do you use? Do you start with basic shapes? If you do, then which shapes and how do you manipulate them? Are your sculptures hollow? If so, how/why? What tools do you use and how do you use them? If you use clay, how do you fire it? Do you use glazes? (Yeah I don't know that much about working with clay ^^")
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Mave wrote:Hey, can I collaborate with Vernhal on making nice clean linearts? :grin:

I WOULD say yes but uh...

I already have my tutorial all written out and most of the pictures... I just need to match the pictures to the tutorial... (started working on my revision right away heh)

I dont know where I would fit anything about traditional inking...

Sorry! ^^"
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Mave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:19 pm

:( Aww, man! It's OK, I'll do my best then in this other tutorial. ^^

Is there some sort of deadline attached to this assignment?
Mave

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:26 pm

CreatureArt wrote: I'm a very interested party!! And as for tutorials I would like to see... well, here are some sample questions I hope may help ^^.

What materials do you use? Do you start with basic shapes? If you do, then which shapes and how do you manipulate them? Are your sculptures hollow? If so, how/why? What tools do you use and how do you use them? If you use clay, how do you fire it? Do you use glazes? (Yeah I don't know that much about working with clay ^^")

Okay! So, since my main medium is polymer clay, I'd probably need to do a tutorial called "The Basics of Sculpting with Polymer Clay." :thumb:

There's a lot to that, though. The example tutorials I saw fit on one page... How should I go about doing a longer tutorial, then?
EireWolf

Postby soul alive » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:43 pm

chibiphonebooth - I've got you marked down, thanks! ^_^

Mave and Vernhal - it might be cool to do a complete lineart session one month, and have the two of you present different methods of doing lineart, in separate tutorials. Might that work?

Eirewolf - I'd love to see how you do your sculptures. The examples I posted are actually medium length tutorials. (My computer wouldn't let me upload a larger one) Depending on the length of the entire tutorial, you could break the compiled image up into more sizable chunks.

CreatureArt - cool, I'll put that down under my name.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:30 pm

I like the idea of the CAA art U. and will try to lend support when I can! I would like to be able to help somehow so if anyone has suggestions...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ICE-rocks » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:51 pm

This is a question that has me concerned with how I draw.
Like when I start making my Manga, should I draw the characters in Pencil first? Or is Pencil getting replaced by photoshop and other drawing programs for the computer.
ICE-rocks

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:12 pm

ICE-rocks wrote:This is a question that has me concerned with how I draw.
Like when I start making my Manga, should I draw the characters in Pencil first? Or is Pencil getting replaced by photoshop and other drawing programs for the computer.

Most people draw with their traditional mediums before they scan! its easier! So I would recommend learning all you can about traditional mediums like pencils! also... If you know how to paint and watercolor and such it helps for when you start using digital mediums... if you do decide to use digital mediums!

soul alive wrote:Mave and Vernhal - it might be cool to do a complete lineart session one month, and have the two of you present different methods of doing lineart, in separate tutorials. Might that work?

Yah I think it would be a great idea for us to present our tutorials on the same month. Mave will answer questions on traditional inking and I will answer questions on digital inking!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby soul alive » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Mechana - I would like to see a vectors tutorial from you if you could - that cyber arm piece that you did is pretty awesome.

ICE-rocks - As Vernhal said, it's very common for people to draw sketches in pencil and scan them in to use as a base for digital inking and coloring - that's what I do. I've tried doing it all on the computer, and just don't like it as much as the other way.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:07 pm

I'd love some sculpture tutorials. I love working with clay, but find it so hard to make it clean, and knowing how to make skeletons with wire... anything along the basics would be great. I've got some Sculpey clay at home. I've made a few things with it, and would love an excuse to make some more. ^_^
It'd be great to get a tut on anything clay-related, Eire; possibly on forming figures, balancing them, etc.
<EDIT>Oh, and what's polymer clay? o_O

Our internet connection is problematic at the moment, but since it's the 14th of January I'm sure it'll be fine by Febuary. :) In the meantime I can work on the tutorial off-line. I'll let you know if I think I'll have any troubles getting a tut finished in time, but I should be fine.
And yes! I'd love a tutorial on drawing buildings as well. I find it hard, and would love to be able to make good city scenes or even just one building look good.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby EireWolf » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]I'd love some sculpture tutorials. I love working with clay, but find it so hard to make it clean, and knowing how to make skeletons with wire... anything along the basics would be great. I've got some Sculpey clay at home. I've made a few things with it, and would love an excuse to make some more. ^_^
It'd be great to get a tut on anything clay-related, Eire]
Polymer clay is not actually a clay; it's a PVC compound. It has vinyl resin, a plasticizer, and a thermal stabilizer (to get technical). Sculpey is polymer clay, though there are several different brands. (I used to use Super Sculpey but had too many breakage issues, so I switched to Puppen Fimo.) It is not earth-based clay, so you don't have to keep it moist until you "fire" it (which is done at about 265-275º in a regular oven).

Okay, good to know there is interest! I will do some tutorials on the "basics," then. Such tutorials were really hard to find when I was just starting out, so maybe this will help a lot of people who are beginners with polymer clay.
EireWolf

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:21 pm

I'm sure it will definitely help. And I was wondering it Sculpey would be under the polymer category...
I have some super-sculpey too but haven't tried it yet. Maybe if I want to make a detailed model or something someday I'll give it a go.
I love the no-water-needed clay (polymer). My pieces always broke apart when I used normal earth-based clay because I'd use too much water trying to get my pieces to look smooth and trying to stick on small detailed ears, arms or legs. :sweat:
Ah... polymer clay. ^_^ So good!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby ICE-rocks » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:41 pm

Sweet, I don't have to worry about buying expensive drawing programs for my computer.

(when dawing)
Clay, sculpting, that would be good for prespective models for Item's, people, place's, etc.
ICE-rocks

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:53 pm

That's true, I guess; having a 3D model can help you with drawing. And yet I don't tend to do it too much; generally I find it easier to sketch a pic than to try to make a model of it and then draw. Maybe because I find it hard to sculpt any characters and really define their shapes well.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:09 pm

I have made a tutorial. The end results is something like this.

I wonder if I should put the whole thing togheter and let you have a look at it. It took some time to make the tutorial, though it takes about 10 minutes for the works itself.

Here are some previus works I have made useing this technuiqe.

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=38015

So you think it will be worth posting? I am terrified if someone would think I copied their works and such. It took me a long time to develop the technuiqe and I hope it can be of use.

*It looks alot better when you get full quality*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 pm

OHH... I want to see the tutorial... but mebbe wait till there is a month designated to you... I dunno ask SOUL alive!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Alright, thanks V :)
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:41 am

Allright... I can work out a tutorial at vector drawing mechanicals in photoshop, or see what I can pull off. I guess i'm decent at vectoring... Xp.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Photosoph » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:23 pm

That's so cool, Jaden. ^_^ I'm looking forward to seeing your finished tutorial.
And I'd love to learn more about doing vector drawing. ^^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Previous Next

Return to General