favorite character type

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Edward » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:53 pm

TopazRaven wrote:Hm, so much villian love here. I can't say I've ever rooted for the villian, though I do find some of them rather interesting. I don't usually find the hero 'boring' either, so I'm not sure why people always say that.

Probably because the typical Lawful Good hero has been done over literally thousands of times. Having an anit-hero or a villain as a protagonist is relativly fresh and new, though even anti-heroes have been around for quite a while. But I think even a Lawful Good hero can be interesting if the person or people writing a book or movie script are good and original enough.

I think everyone likes heroes. It's just that some people like different kinds of heroes. But I don't really know what I'm talking about, so you should just ignore this post.
Edward

Postby akorecki1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:16 am

I sometimes fall in love with the villain I have to admit but not in FMA I like Edward and Alphonse although I do like Greed he is funny.
You can die at any time living takes real courage. - Someone of FMA

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.

Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn then always be a unicorn.:rock:
akorecki1

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Edward (post: 1503491) wrote:Probably because the typical Lawful Good hero has been done over literally thousands of times. Having an anit-hero or a villain as a protagonist is relativly fresh and new, though even anti-heroes have been around for quite a while. But I think even a Lawful Good hero can be interesting if the person or people writing a book or movie script are good and original enough.

Yes, the Good hero who defends Good because Good is Good is Good gets boring. The motivation is usually either drably executed, or makes the character flat. People like anti-heroes or unexpected heroes because their motivation to vanquish evil differs from the norm, and thus makes them more interesting to us.

The same goes for villains (with me at least). I really dislike villains who are evil because "Whee, evil fun! Because... evil! Yeah! And I'm going to go kill everyone you love, for the sake of proving how evil I am!" When evil for the sake of evil is the only motivation, it's every bit as boring as good solely for the sake of good. For some reason, it's often villains who have more unorthodox and unusual motivations. (Perhaps because they tend to die/get imprisoned, so the author doesn't have to properly deal with their story's ending.) When done well, they're either a specific, quirky, interesting brand of insane, or just average people who have logically adapted to horrible things and become villains as a side effect. Both are pretty cool. B)

[/longdryboringramble]
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Sanji07 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:57 pm

I would probably be a cross between "The Heart" and the character who seems emotionless but is very caring (that is, until you get to know me...I'm not so 'emotionless' then ^^;; ).
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:05 pm

The Paragon, the Sentinel, the tried and true Champion of Valor, the man who can look in the face of evil and spit in its eye.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Kerusso » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Changed and updated list. Here's my top five, in approximate order of favorite-ness:

1. Chessmasters
2. Genre Savvy characters
3. Shrinking Violets
4. just about any character that's Crazy Awesome
5. Cloudcuckoolanders
Heaven is only Heaven because God is in it.

[color="YellowGreen"][/color]There's only one good thing about Mary Sues... they don't exist in real life.

Forcing religion, or any ideology for that matter, down someone's throat, is not that different from doing the same with a physical object: it's an unpleasant experience to the recipient, who will likely dislike you for it afterwards.
Kerusso

Previous

Return to General