I can't believe I'm being ridiculed for donating to people in need...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Edward » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1465365) wrote:So it seems. I hope someday soon he will open his heart and his mind more to God so he can be shown why what he said was wrong.

Meanwhile, I've been strolling around on DA and have noticed there is a huge backlash going on their with support art for the diaster in Japan. A lot of people say that making support art is selfish and stupid and means you don't actually care about Japan or any of the other countries that where affected by the tsnunami. Because all your doing is making art. It made me kind of mad. Where do people get off saying it? You have no way to know where someone's heart just from seeing a piece of art on the Internet or what they have done for this diaster. If I could draw I would sure as heck would be drawing support art and my only concern this whole time has only been for the people of Japan and the other nations affected as well. I wouldn't care if another anime/manga was ever made again.

Wow...I really went into rant mode again for a minute there...

I totally agree with you. And I'm sure the people on DA making support art have donated way more money than their detractors, who probably just donated 5 bucks to feel good about themselves and then went back to their normal lives as if thousands of people aren't dying in a horrible natural disaster.
Edward

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 pm

Edward wrote:probably just donated 5 bucks to feel good about themselves and then went back to their normal lives as if thousands of people aren't dying in a horrible natural disaster.

I don't know that I agree with this statement. Even if they only donated the money to "feel good about themselves" they still donated money. It's still money that's going to help the people of Japan, and that's a good thing, even if they're doing it for selfish reasons. It's better than the people who aren't donating at all at least.

And I don't get the second part. I went back to my normal life after I heard the news. Why wouldn't I? I don't live there. Life is normal for me. It isn't normal for them. I can pray for them, I can extend my sympathies to them, I can donate money to help them...but I'm not there. My life hasn't been shaken like theirs has. There's nothing to be gained by me curled up in a ball crying on my bed because of this tragedy...especially if I have a job I need to do, responsibilities I need to take care of. I have to be able to go back to my normal life because that's what I have.

I can still be concerned and sympathetic, and still do what I can to help without it affecting my own life (outside of the money I donate which I should be giving freely anyway, so I won't miss it). It's the "If you believe in Jesus' teachings why haven't you sold everything you own and given the money to the poor?" argument with a new coat of paint.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TGJesusfreak » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:53 pm

topaz wrote:Another thing my uncle said was, "lets see if a Japanese person ever helps you in your life."
In Japan there is NO looting in the stores, and they are all trying to help eachother out. I'd like to see that happen in america! They're very nice there. and I garuntee you that most japanese people are quite nice and helpful. That's a very racist comment for him to make.

If you said that about african americans then people would explode. What he said is just as bad, only directed towrds the japanese. =/ that's just sad =(
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Edward » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Nate (post: 1465392) wrote:I don't know that I agree with this statement. Even if they only donated the money to "feel good about themselves" they still donated money. It's still money that's going to help the people of Japan, and that's a good thing, even if they're doing it for selfish reasons. It's better than the people who aren't donating at all at least.

And I don't get the second part. I went back to my normal life after I heard the news. Why wouldn't I? I don't live there. Life is normal for me. It isn't normal for them. I can pray for them, I can extend my sympathies to them, I can donate money to help them...but I'm not there. My life hasn't been shaken like theirs has. There's nothing to be gained by me curled up in a ball crying on my bed because of this tragedy...especially if I have a job I need to do, responsibilities I need to take care of. I have to be able to go back to my normal life because that's what I have.

I can still be concerned and sympathetic, and still do what I can to help without it affecting my own life (outside of the money I donate which I should be giving freely anyway, so I won't miss it). It's the "If you believe in Jesus' teachings why haven't you sold everything you own and given the money to the poor?" argument with a new coat of paint.

I suppose I was being too harsh here. A donation is still a donation. What I meant to say was they probably just donated some money but didn't pray or do anything else. But in retrospect, I was wrong. I shouldn't be judging someone that I have never met before, as I don't know the state of their hearts. I agree with you on how we can still be concerned without feeling like we need to go into debt to help. We should give what money we can, and keep Japan in our prayers, but no one should feel compelled to sell all of their possessions.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Agloval » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm

It shouldn't really matter whether or not the Japanese are nice, or what they've done for us in the past -- these are questions where it's not what side you come down on that matters, it's the fact that they're the wrong questions to ask. I think ideally, if it needed help, we would want to help a country even if we thought it was utterly opposed to us and was full of unpleasant people. Which I'm sure is an impossible standard to aim for, but eh.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/15/134567659/china-acts-fast-in-aiding-japan-post-earthquake?ps=cprs If China is sending help and decrying people making light of the incident, nobody should be doing anything less than following their example. China is a country that has every reason to not help, and yet there they are.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Nami (post: 1465373) wrote:Same here. It saddens me to think that people can be so hateful to their fellow humans. Yeah, this doesn't make God happy, but you can bet He will use it to guide people, prolly more missionaries to reach out to Japan and help them more than what we have been doing. I also refuse to believe that God would do that. The last part made me smile, that's exactly what I think every time I see American's talking like they are better than anyone else.

Indeed. I really hope this event will bring many people in Japan and the people of the other nations affected by this diaster closer to God. Yeah...this is why I'm somtimes reluctant to admit I'm American. I've had people from other countries flame me on the Internet as soon as they found out I was from the US. I can't really blame them for being angry with the way some Americans behave, but I wish they would know we aren't all pigheaded jerks.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1465377) wrote:Oh yeah, America is always in the right and has never done bad things to anyone else! Who was it that dropped not one, but two nuclear bombs on Japan? And even after all that, our nations became ALLIES. They're not the enemy and haven't been for an entire generation. I've heard this nonsense coming from people who weren't even ALIVE during WWII, and that to me is just ridiculous. The least people could do is move the heck on. They don't have to donate or whatever, but get over it already. This is 2011, not 1951.

Yamamaya (post: 1465383) wrote:Aye. If anyone has a right to hate us, it's Japan. They're the only country to suffer a direct nuclear attack.

I actually know a few people who are incredibly prejudiced against the Japanese just because of WWII which ended before all of them were born. *Facepalm*

EXACTLY! Japan has been a trusted and loyal friend since the end of World War II even though we dropped two bombs on them which resulted in the deaths of millions of innocent people. If someone came to America and dropped bombs on us to 'end a war' I'll bet you we wouldn't be ready to be friends with whoever did it when all is said and done. Japan is more forgiving then the US ever will be.

Pascal (post: 1465388) wrote:Tell your uncle that your saving his pitiful fixed income retirement along with everyone else on SS from being obliterated like a fat battleship at Pearl Harbor. Let's put the picture into perspective, Japan doesn't need to "beg" us for money,

-http://useconomy.about.com/od/fiscalpolicy/p/US_Debt.htm

(EDIT: $890 billion if you go with http://af.reuters.com/article/cameroonNews/idAFLDE72E0XH20110315, but hey, what's a few billion dollars?)

For that matter, they don't just have to draw from funds in the US alone, they own $7 trillion dollars in global assets, and there are already signs that it may be drawing some funds out,

EDIT: Source FTW http://af.reuters.com/article/cameroonNews/idAFLDE72E0XH20110315?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Maybe Japan owns some of South African debt and is starting to drag those funds home? And of course, as the US dollar becomes less valuable, it could start a chain reaction where China tries to pull it's debt to avoid taking a loss as US inflation shoots out the roof.

But of course, a major liquidation of their US assets is unlikely to happen. Why? Because I think the US will already try to send a huge amount of aid in this time of crisis and for them to liquidate our assets would not only cause bad feelings and reduce the aid sent, but it would also explode inflation making the aid sent worthless. It would also destroy a strong mutual beneficial economy and harm strong relations and feelings built over years. Other countries that might be more "tight-fisted" might just get the money yanked out from them - maybe they didn't like something that happened in South Africa and pulled some of their assets there, who knows?

But thing is, we don't send the help we can because we are trying to save our own shirts, but because we genuinely care about the human life in Japan. The younger generation in the US particularly almost grew up on more of a Japanese culture then an American one. My mother notes that she can tell when I finish up a transaction in the gas station simply by looking in the window - I give a light bow on the completion without even realizing it. Despite being on opposite ends of the world, the Japanese people are our brothers and sisters - we can't help but feel horrible when something happens, we would have to be inhuman to feel otherwise. For those of us who love anime - this is our culture. I'm only sad, that unlike anime, a single nights rest in bed doesn't heal all wounds and make the world better. I wish a giant gundam would have come down from the heavens and vaporized the ocean wave wave with a beam cannon, or that some magical girl turned the whole thing to ice.

I know that each of us will contribute as much as we can - some even a little more in the wake of this tragedy to us all. But for those who want to be tight-fisted, you can remind them that while we do this because of our love, their money could just as easily be taken away legally and with good reason. So they had better not think of saying "what has Japan done for us", they're doing something right now by not taking back nearly $900 billion which they could REALLY use right about now to help evacuate lives and save people.

Agreed!

KougaHane (post: 1465389) wrote:So, If America has a massive hurricane that kills thousands, injures thousands, and destroys thousands of homes, France shouldn't send us a cent. They're just not rich enough to help us. Yes, I'm sure people say that while getting into their Japanese car, texting on their Japanese phone, and later watching their Japanese TV or playing a Japanese videogame system. Those crazy Japanese never gave us anything.

My family isn't quite so extreme, but sometimes I tell them something about another culture that I find very interesting, and they either seem bored to tears or laugh and call that culture crazy. My mom is consistent though. She knows Americans are crazy too. It shocks me to see how stingy and selfish so many Americans are.

Indeed, it is a shame. I'm honestly very interested in other countries and cultures as well, I usually have a new country I read up on every week or so. My family doesn't understand why I love other nations so much. I find that kind of sad. Why shouldn't I be interested in fellow humans and their welfare?

Edward (post: 1465391) wrote:I totally agree with you. And I'm sure the people on DA making support art have donated way more money than their detractors, who probably just donated 5 bucks to feel good about themselves and then went back to their normal lives as if thousands of people aren't dying in a horrible natural disaster.

I know right? It's even possible they could be selling commisions for the art and then using the recieved money to donate! That's what I would do probably if I could draw.

Nate (post: 1465392) wrote:I don't know that I agree with this statement. Even if they only donated the money to "feel good about themselves" they still donated money. It's still money that's going to help the people of Japan, and that's a good thing, even if they're doing it for selfish reasons. It's better than the people who aren't donating at all at least.

I do have to agree with you on this though. Any money, even $5 is helpful. I mean...I honestly couldn't afford much more then that myself. I wish I could send hundreds of dollars, but I don't even have a job at the moment. Meanwhile, I try to tell myself to get on with my normal life, but I'm just really depressed and scared for all the people there.

TGJesusfreak (post: 1465395) wrote:In Japan there is NO looting in the stores, and they are all trying to help eachother out. I'd like to see that happen in america! They're very nice there. and I garuntee you that most japanese people are quite nice and helpful. That's a very racist comment for him to make.

If you said that about african americans then people would explode. What he said is just as bad, only directed towrds the japanese. =/ that's just sad =(

Ahehe...you don't even want to know the comments he directs at African Americans. Like I said, love him, really do, but his attitude drives me nuts. Meanwhile I know right? Look what has happened everytime we've ever had a major diaster in the US. Looting, rape, murder...yea, we really have room to talk.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:55 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1465411) wrote:Ahehe...you don't even want to know the comments he directs at African Americans. Like I said, love him, really do, but his attitude drives me nuts. Meanwhile I know right? Look what has happened everytime we've ever had a major diaster in the US. Looting, rape, murder...yea, we really have room to talk.

If your uncle is like that towards the Japanese and says worse things about African Americans, I'd be a little too nervous to meet him. O_o Hopefully he isn't as bad as my friend's neighbor.

Everything aside, like everyone said before, to hold the WWII incident against them is like holding all Germans against WWI or the English against the fight for independence. Its a grudge that, of all people, this generation should not be holding. Especially because it isn't us who are directly involved.

You won't believe what many people say about the incident on Facebook.

Recently, my friend told me that one of her "friends" on facebook said that the Tsunami was "a gift from God" and that she prayed for it and that that was what the Japanese deserved. I hope that was just a troll-ish comment, but still, what a way to grind some gears.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1465658) wrote:If your uncle is like that towards the Japanese and says worse things about African Americans, I'd be a little too nervous to meet him. O_o Hopefully he isn't as bad as my friend's neighbor.

Everything aside, like everyone said before, to hold the WWII incident against them is like holding all Germans against WWI or the English against the fight for independence. Its a grudge that, of all people, this generation should not be holding. Especially because it isn't us who are directly involved.

You won't believe what many people say about the incident on Facebook.

Recently, my friend told me that one of her "friends" on facebook said that the Tsunami was "a gift from God" and that she prayed for it and that that was what the Japanese deserved. I hope that was just a troll-ish comment, but still, what a way to grind some gears.

In all honesty he wouldn't say anything to someone he doesn't know. It's because I'm his niece and that he lives in my house that I have to hear all his crap. Wow...what a terrible comment to make! That's just sad. He really can't use WWII against Japan, because like you said that would be hypocritcal. You would have to dislike all the axis powers then and my family is pretty German. My great grandmother literally moved to America during WWII from Germany and she couldn't speak a word of English. Now that I think about it, the only other countries he actually seems to like are Germany, Sweden and Norway. Meanwhile he said Holland and England are 'alright'. I'd hope so. We're Dutch to from my mother's side of the family. Also I've got English ancestry from my father's side apparantly. Even if only a tiny pinch. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah, I've been limiting where I go on the internet since this happened because seeing the heartlessness of a lot of people is really hard for me. I just can't believe the sheer numbers of people who don't give a rat's soft, furry behind about what's going on. And to say that Japan deserves this...

Well, it's upsetting, to say the least. To be so calloused about these beautiful people and the horrible things that are happening, it's just heartless, and it's almost as cruel as if you made it happen yourself. I think God will have something to say to such people when the time comes. And I don't think it'll be anything good.

This is hard for me, but I acknowledge that for most of the world, life goes on. That's not heartless; that's normal. We need life to return to normal for as many people as possible; panicking and being traumatized by this helps nobody.

It hasn't returned to normal yet for me, but it probably will, and it's going to feel too weird when it does.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:05 am

I haven't gotten any flack about Japan, mostly because I haven't mentioned it much offline, but I have gotten flack from my family for giving before. I sponsor a girl via World Vision, and my family is very disapproving, because, "I'm not going to feel bad because they had children they can't take care of." Also, the idea that I should be helping Americans, or immediate neighbors only. Never mind that people often won't accept help from a neighbor down their street.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 am

Topaz,

I'm sorry your uncle said those things to you. It shows his ignorance and perhaps own guilt, embarassment or indifference to others in need. That being said, if he has behavior for them, I have to wonder if he feels that way for Americans and other people as well. Maybe you can ask what he is doing to help Americans lately if he feels the Japanese do not "deserve" help either. Chances are he isn't helping "us" either.

That being said, as for family. I have family members who do not believe I should be getting help for myself so needless to say they don't believe i should be helping others. It's stupid of course but I can't change them.

God bless

Kuno
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Previous

Return to General