CAA art school - introduction discussion

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Photosoph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:59 am

I'd love to be part of it, and would definitely be able to be committed (at least to the extent that you described, SA).
Not sure what my strengths are... but I could teach some basic classes on:

Tri-colour shading (probably in pencil)
Sprucing up lineart by varying the thickness of the lines (Creatureart taught me the first steps of how to do this, and I've been developing it for a while now ^^ )
The basics of shading
And a simple cute characters tutorial or The Basics of Cute ;)

Maybe I could also take a subject animal and then introduce drawing that specific subject. For example, some tips on 'how to draw cats' or something similar where we could look at some of the basic features that define that animal.

I'm not on DA, so I'd like to see the tutorial formats if that's okay, or a link to an example.

(Wow... someone must have deleted my double post. Thank you, mods! ^^)
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby EireWolf » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Ack! I just deleted the first one. I will try to restore it...

EDIT again: Nevermind.

TAG! You're it! :grin:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Photosoph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:08 pm

Rofl! Okay, so that's what happened. XD Thanks for the quick, onto-it post editing, Eire. ^^ :hug:
Lol, so confusing. XD
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Pinecone Tortoi » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:My only strength I know of is coming up with unusual creatures etc. Maybe I could do a tutorial on that?

Oh please do! At least two of my little plot bunny herd are going to need some exotic wildlife, so this sounds like a very opportune jump start for the ol' odd-creature-creative-juices. ^^

Piney.
Pinecone Tortoi

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:05 pm

soul alive wrote:This is from an idea spawned in this month's Coloring Contest thread.

As you may have noticed, we have more talented artists here at CAA than you could shake a stick at. Everyone has their own talents that make their art special - a good eye for anatomy, beautiful ink or pencil technique, a unique coloring style. I thought it would be fun to discuss amongst ourselves problems that we may have, artists whose technique(s) we would like to learn, special methods we've learned that we would like to share, etc.

My thought was to round up a group of artists willing to participate, and for everyone to bring up problems they have been having or things they'd like to learn, and after compiling a list, choose a particular topic and an artist or artists who have solved it well. The artist(s) would then put together a tutorial and make a discussion thread to answer additional questions - and those participating would post projects that they did utilizing that technique.

This could be done every month or every other month - depends on what everyone thinks would be a good time span. And at the end of each time span, the tutorial would be put up at the dA CAA club with a compiled image of all the projects everyone did for the tutorial.

One of the better tutorial formats I've seen is the format that dA uses, if you don't know what I'm talking about let me know and I'll post an example or two.

----

Anyway, to kick it off - I'd love to learn some colored pencil techniques, as well as coloring techniques for hair.

----

Technique Requests (General):
-Manga style art
-Colored pencil technique
-Coloring techniques for hair
-Digital coloring
-Inking (digital and traditional)

Specific Requests / Volunteers:
Shao Feng-Li:
-Character creation
-Clothing folds
Esoteric:
-Backgrounds
-Composition
Mave:
-Ink (lineart technique)
soul alive: (committed)
-Cell shading (digital)
-?Anatomy (not quite sure what Vernhal's request is specifically for)
chibiphonebooth:
-?General technique (again, not sure what the request is specifically for)
dduck:
-General techniqe (specific requests?)
EireWolf: (committed)
-Sculpture
Ultra Magnus:
-Mechs
That Dude:
-Pencil shading technique
ChristianRonin: (committed)
Vernhal:
-Digital inking

I could do a little bit of the basics of manga art style, specifically faces. And someone also mentioned facial structure which I'd be willing to do. As far as the pencil shading techniques that is on the list I'll do it but I honestly don't feel to qualified for that.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:
That would be amazing! I would SO love to see you do a tutorial on those subjects, because they're a few of my worst (namely, emotions and hands)! XD

thanksss. :D
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:53 pm

A tutorial on complex shadow on characters, creatures etc would be great if we have someone here who is good at that field of art.
I know I have a lot of problems in that area.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:32 pm

soul alive wrote:Vernhal - not quite sure what you're requesting tutorials from for chibiphonebooth and myself. Also - would you be willing to contribute/revamp your digital inking tutorial?

wow everyone is getting fired up for this... thats awesome!

For you its realistic faces and hair mostly... you make them look realistic while still stylizing!

Chibiphone boot its the same thing really... she has it realistic while still sylizing... how do you do that???

EDIT-

I can definitely redo my tutorial to be CAA appropriate! so yah you can mark me as commited!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Complex shadow? Do you mean when you have two light sources or something?
I would definitely love to see someone do a tutorial on that. I'm used to doing shading with just one light source, so I'd love some tips on how to do shading when you've got more than one light source. Or perhaps even dynamic shading like how to do it when you've got light coming up from below your character. I'd like to learn more about how to do that.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:13 pm

You've got it in one Soph. But I also mean drawing shadows of more complex characters, poses, things in general.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ICE-rocks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:23 pm

I would love to help but... I'm still learning (as you can see my avatar) I would love to help when I learn more though. :)
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:30 pm

ICE-rocks wrote:I would love to help but... I'm still learning (as you can see my avatar) I would love to help when I learn more though. :)

Isnt everyone learning... ??

thats a good thing heh... and maybe if you dont feel skilled enough to make tutorials the you will be able to benefit from the tutorials!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby ICE-rocks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:35 pm

Yeah that's true.
(Biggest problem I have is taking a character and turning him left or right and make it look right.)
ICE-rocks

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Drawing your character from different angles and so forth? Yes, that is a bit of a doozy.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Drawing your character from different angles and so forth? Yes, that is a bit of a doozy.

I concur.. that would beanother good thing to add to the list!... I guess that would be part of composition!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:00 pm

Or concept art?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ICE-rocks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Yeah It would fall under concept art...
ICE-rocks

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Actually, that would fall under 3d perspective. ;)
Esoteric

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:13 pm

and also, vernhal... i'm stilll kinda confused. It's really just my style... i dunno how exactly i do it. XD

Complex shadow? Do you mean when you have two light sources or something?
I would definitely love to see someone do a tutorial on that. I'm used to doing shading with just one light source, so I'd love some tips on how to do shading when you've got more than one light source. Or perhaps even dynamic shading like how to do it when you've got light coming up from below your character. I'd like to learn more about how to do that.

i can help with shading!! :D
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:08 pm

So I just started an account on dA. Could somebody send me the CAA ring address?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:10 pm

I will note you, That Dude, what is your name on DA?

EDIT:

IN FACT!! why didn't I think about this?

here is the link to the CAA Club on DA

www.christiananime.deviantart.com
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby meboeck » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:12 pm

In addition to the things that are already listed, I would definitely love to see a backgrounds/effects tutorial from Jaden Mental. He has become so good with that so quickly.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby soul alive » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 pm

Egads, I leave for a day and the thread explodes. Thanks for the enthusiasm guys and gals!

I went through and tried to catch all of the requests and confirmations. Check the first post for the list. I took pencil technique off of That Dude's list, since you said you didn't feel qualified to do a tutorial for it. I also put the link to the dA CAA group in the first post.

Since there is so much enthusiasm, my thoughts for the time frame have changed a bit. We'll do a trial run of one tutorial next month, if someone is willing to put together a tutorial by then.

After that, a new tutorial topic session every month. The time frame for discussion and project submission for each individual tutorial might run for a couple of months, depending on the tutor's schedule.

After all the bugs get worked out, and we have a couple sessions under our belts, we might start running a couple of tutorials a month, or a new one every two or three weeks. But let's not put the cart before the horse.

Anyway - can anyone put together a tutorial for next month? Let's see who all could do it, and we'll decide on the first topic/tutor from there.

:edit: It might also be cool to see some different tutorials on costuming.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Mave » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:10 am

WOAH! I've just noticed that I'm being mentioned.

Eh, before I address that I would like to point out that Psycho Ann, Syreth and I already have some tutorials on webmanga-related techniques on our website.

http://theproject.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=8&id=38&Itemid=60

Or you could go to the main page http://theproject.us and click "Tutorials"

As for lineart work, I'll do my best although I can't help wondering: Exactly what do you all want to know about lineart? Or better still, what difficulties do you have pertaining to linearts? That would help me to better help you. XD
Mave

Postby mssthang_1 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:14 pm

*jumps around* yaaay^^ an artist thread.....i'm glad this wuz started..now i can talk about my art problems...like my coloring (ewww....sometimes i just hate the way my pics come out)
Beware...I have an attitude and I'm not afraid to use it. :shady:

You can thank me for the warning. :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

~My Deviantart Account~
mssthang_1

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:44 pm

OOH fashion would be a fun piece!! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:14 pm

::me peeps in::

Umm...I don't know if I actually classify as an artist, because I really don't draw...But...I do have a digital camera, and I'm pretty good with it, if I do say so myself...I'm on DA, and my SN is (you'll never guess...) KhakiBlueSocks!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby CreatureArt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Heya everyone! Its good to see so many people willing to do tutorials and help the rest of us out! ^^

I'd love to do some tutorials, but so much already seems to have been covered. I can't think of any art tutorials I could do. ^^; But if anyone has seen me do things they would like to see a tutorial on that isn't already there - please suggest it because I'd love to.

Would Flash animation tutorials be ok? I haven't seen any animation or 3D tutorials up there. While I'm not a master of the program, I could do some on the things I've learned. I could do tutorials on frame by frame animation, symbol animation, adding music and sound, reproducing camera movement (pans, zooms etc), title and replay pages...

Oh, and what about some photo tutorials from you, Khaki? From what I've seen of your photos so far you have a nice for capturing them with great colours and composition of elements within the frame.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:34 pm

I can't do very much, and I do nothign when it coems ot traditional art, but I might be of a little assitance for some digital art. I use GIMP and Apophysis primarily, and I make alot of abstract art. Oh, and I make water. Only one way and thus only one style of it, but it's quick and looks pretty good, IMO.

As for what tutorials I'd like to see. Anything relating to any type of drawing. I completely suck at it, but it's somethign I'd love to be able to do.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:13 pm

[quote="CreatureArt"]Heya everyone! Its good to see so many people willing to do tutorials and help the rest of us out! ^^

I'd love to do some tutorials, but so much already seems to have been covered. I can't think of any art tutorials I could do. ^^]

Yo know flash??? OMY... I want tutorials for that!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Previous Next

Return to General