Does anyone in here speak in tounges?

Talk about anything in here.

Does anyone in here speak in tounges?

Postby dothackzero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:24 am

I'm interested in getting the gift tounges, and I think the main reason that I have it yet is that I have some fear about getting it. Basically, I'm mostly worried that what I like in anime and video games will either change or I'll get convicted about watching/playing them.

Mostly I'm worried about my tastes being changed about...

One Piece
Naruto
Bleach

you know major shows like them.

For video games...

Final Fantasy
Tales of Series
Star Ocean

games like them...
dothackzero

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 am

Eh, I'm pretty skeptical about speaking in tongues as it's practiced nowadays - from what I've read, it's different from what is actually occurring in the Bible when it talks about speaking in tongues (it appears to be more about speaking on other peoples' learned languages than what is now referred to as glossolalia). I believe that when you decide to become a follower of Jesus, you have the Holy Spirit already inside of you whether or not you can speak in tongues or not.

If you're convicted about something you watch or play, though, then avoid it anyway, because you'll be convicted about it no matter what sounds you can make with your mouth.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 am

Davidizer pretty much took the words out of my mouth. (I know there should be a pun in there somewhere, I'm just too tired to figure out what it is.)
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am

I've only encountered speaking in tongues in one of my friend's churches. Quite frankly, I'm skeptical of and wary of it for various reasons that are better off not being said here. PM if you're interested in details.
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:51 am

I have sometimes. and really, as the others said, if you're scared about being convicted, you're going to be anyway, weather you speak in tounges or not.

And I find it hard to believe that speaking in tounges was different than today, because it does talk about speaking in the languages of angels, as well as other languages
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am

Also, you can't really 'get' tongues as far as I've seen. It's a gift, not a learned ability.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Peanut » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 am

I've spoken in tongues and it didn't change my tastes in TV shows, video games, or other things. Like Lynna said, conviction can happen with or without the baptism in the Holy Spirit. When I was baptized in the Holy Spirit it did change me but, since I was convicted of things before that event and after, I would say that conviction exists outside of it but can be connected to it.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Okami » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:19 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1457161) wrote:Also, you can't really 'get' tongues as far as I've seen. It's a gift, not a learned ability.

Yeah, this is how I feel about it, too. I'm sitting here thinking about 1 Corinthians 12...
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

V'z cerggl fher V pna'g fcrnx va gbathrf, naq jbhyq or cerggl fxrcgvpny bs nalbar jub pynvzrq gurl jrer. Vg'f cerggl rnfl gb fcbhg bhg fbzr tvoorevfu naq fnl vg'f gbathrf. Nyfb V'z va nterrzrag gung lbh pna'g ernyyl "trg" gur tvsg bs gbathrf.

Erzrzore nf jryy gung gur Ovoyr rkcyvpvgyl sbeovqf fcrnxvat va gbathrf hayrff fbzrbar vf nebhaq gb vagrecerg. Fb gurer'f gung gbb.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Nate (post: 1457190) wrote:V'z cerggl fher V pna'g fcrnx va gbathrf, naq jbhyq or cerggl fxrcgvpny bs nalbar jub pynvzrq gurl jrer. Vg'f cerggl rnfl gb fcbhg bhg fbzr tvoorevfu naq fnl vg'f gbathrf. Nyfb V'z va nterrzrag gung lbh pna'g ernyyl "trg" gur tvsg bs gbathrf.

Erzrzore nf jryy gung gur Ovoyr rkcyvpvgyl sbeovqf fcrnxvat va gbathrf hayrff fbzrbar vf nebhaq gb vagrecerg. Fb gurer'f gung gbb.

kyuu-eff-tee
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Peanut » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Nate (post: 1457190) wrote:V'z cerggl fher V pna'g fcrnx va gbathrf, naq jbhyq or cerggl fxrcgvpny bs nalbar jub pynvzrq gurl jrer. Vg'f cerggl rnfl gb fcbhg bhg fbzr tvoorevfu naq fnl vg'f gbathrf. Nyfb V'z va nterrzrag gung lbh pna'g ernyyl "trg" gur tvsg bs gbathrf.

I also have the gift of interpretation. So I will translate what Nate has said:

"I pledge to give all of my money to Peanut because he is such an awesome, amazing guy. I also pledge to give my future income to Peanut because he deserves it all. That Peanut guy is so "cool", I try and model my entire life around him.

I also think everyone should give their money to Peanut because Peanut's just that awesome."

ShiroiHikari (post: 1457194) wrote:kyuu-eff-tee

"I will as well."

Oh, you guys. Such awesome people :lol:.

Peanut

Postby Lynna » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Peanut (post: 1457198) wrote:I also have the gift of interpretation. So I will translate what Nate has said:

"I pledge to give all of my money to Peanut because he is such an awesome, amazing guy. I also pledge to give my future income to Peanut because he deserves it all. That Peanut guy is so "cool", I try and model my entire life around him.

I also think everyone should give their money to Peanut because Peanut's just that awesome."

"I will as well."

Was your gift of translation of tongues from Google Translate?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
Lynna

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 pm

I've spoken in tongues, but I understand it's a very controversial subject and realize that some people have different opinions, so I don't discuss it very much...

But like Davidizer said, if you're going to be convicted, you will be convicted either way. And if you feel convicted, it's probably best to act on that conviction.

mechana2015 (post: 1457161) wrote:Also, you can't really 'get' tongues as far as I've seen. It's a gift, not a learned ability.

This is what I believe, too.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby dothackzero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Peanut (post: 1457163) wrote:I've spoken in tongues and it didn't change my tastes in TV shows, video games, or other things. Like Lynna said, conviction can happen with or without the baptism in the Holy Spirit. When I was baptized in the Holy Spirit it did change me but, since I was convicted of things before that event and after, I would say that conviction exists outside of it but can be connected to it.

How did it change you?
dothackzero

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Peanut (post: 1457198) wrote:I also have the gift of interpretation. So I will translate what Nate has said:

"I will as well."

Oh Im sure. :lol:

But honestly, I have no idea about this. I tend to be kinda skeptical about this type of thing, having bad experiences with something similar to it.
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby ABlipinTime » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:31 pm

I believe in the gift of tongues. Period. That doesn't say much about WHAT I believe about it. Like mysngoeshere said, it's a controversial topic, at least for some people, but what can I say? Some people in 7 day creation and some in evolution... and then some in instantaneous creation. Whether you believe either way probably won't effect your spiritual life in the least way. IGNORING the possibility that some things you are doing you ought to feel convicted of... ... We're all in consensus that doing so is a bad idea.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby dothackzero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm not being convicted of any anime/video games right now. I think that I'm mostly worried about that once I'm able to hear the Holy Spirit better that I'll start getting convicted of the stuff I like now or start to notice about things that I'm being convicted of without knowing yet.

But I do know what it feels like to be convicted of watching/playing a anime/video game.
dothackzero

Postby Lynna » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 pm

dothackzero (post: 1457238) wrote:I'm not being convicted of any anime/video games right now. I think that I'm mostly worried about that once I'm able to hear the Holy Spirit better that I'll start getting convicted of the stuff I like now or start to notice about things that I'm being convicted of without knowing yet.

But I do know what it feels like to be convicted of watching/playing a anime/video game.

But if you're convicted, you're convicted. It's not something to be afraid of, in fact, convictions are supposed to help you.
And another thing, even though I speak in tounges, I still don't hear the holy spirit very well.
But What you're really saying is not that you're scared of speaking in tounges, its that You don't want to listen to the Holy Spirit, because you're afraid of what he/it will tell you. That is really dangerous you know? That's choosng to not listen to God.
Lynna

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, not to be rude, but it does sound as if the only reason you are afraid to speak in tounges is because you fear the Holy Spirit will tell you something you don't want to hear. I can't really talk mind you. I always have to sit and wonder if God is trying to tell me something I am doing or watching is wrong and I'm not hearing it. I'm as stubborn as they come and I sometimes wonder if my own stubborness cuts me off from Him.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby dothackzero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 pm

hmm, I've always thought that being to speak in tounges would help me hear the Holy Spirit better. Anyway, I do try to do what he says. Sometimes, it's just harder than other times.
dothackzero

Postby Peanut » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:02 pm

dothackzero (post: 1457205) wrote:How did it change you?

It sent me into a sort of spiritual growth spurt. Up to that point in my life, I hadn't really changed since my conversion (which was a few years before) and then after that I began to grow, rapidly spiritually. I'd even say that my growth and eventual call to ministry since then has its origin in that event, so it was a life changing experience.

dothackzero (post: 1457268) wrote:hmm, I've always thought that being to speak in tounges would help me hear the Holy Spirit better. Anyway, I do try to do what he says. Sometimes, it's just harder than other times.

Tongues has nothing to do with hearing the Holy Spirit, its merely a gift from the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. My experience with Tongues also had no connection to a voice in my head telling me to speak things or anything that I would equate to hearing the Holy Spirit better. In fact, speaking in tongues was kind of like having my mouth hijacked. Nothing mental was telling me what to say next. Now, there are other gifts of the Holy Spirit that I would say are the Holy Spirit speaking to people, like visions. But, tongues isn't one of them.

Peanut

Postby Furen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:58 pm

dothackzero (post: 1457142) wrote:I'm interested in getting the gift tounges, and I think the main reason that I have it yet is that I have some fear about getting it. Basically, I'm mostly worried that what I like in anime and video games will either change or I'll get convicted about watching/playing them.

For video games...
Final Fantasy
Tales of Series
Star Ocean
games like them...

love those games ♥

I'm skeptical about it, not for the fact of it itself, but because of the people I know that are so enthralled about it, they talk about it as if it's the core part of evangelism, I think if someone truly has the gift of tongues from God than it's amazing to have and hone it to glorify Him in the highest way they can. But because of what I am around, I don't really believe it's alive much anywhere, I don't see how God has a need for it, as he has everything commanded for us through His word.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Midori » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English.
Midori

Postby AlyssHeart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:24 am

Speaking in tongues is an amazing gift from God. Whether you choose to accept all of it or not is up to you. Yes, people have perverted it into something to be skeptical of, but if it is the real thing then there is no reason to fear it.
Personally, speaking in tongues brought me to a more intimate place with God. As for being afraid of conviction, Honestly if that is what God tells you to do it is definitely worth it. He always always always knows what is best for you. A stronger relationship with God is worth more than anything this World has to offer.
Just seek God with all of your heart and He will show up. That being said, I personally believe that when you do this, if you have a sin in your life that is in the way of you and God that you have to get rid of it before you receive God's gift.
Hearing God is done best when you are silent. Your spiritual closet should be just as intimate with God as it is in the church. When you seek being in the presence of God's face big things can happen.
"Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is."-C.S.Lewis. =)
AlyssHeart

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 am

I have to say that my experience with tongues is pretty much what Peanut has described. It catalyzed my spiritual growth, and, while I may have been headed for ministry already, it helped me along that path immensely.

In fact, I'll say that I believe that it contributed greatly to my enjoyment of Naruto and Bleach. (I haven't really caught much of One Piece.) That same spiritual growth and sensitivity toward God helped me to see the Kingdom of God in both of those shows.

Sometimes we think that if we take a step toward God we'll have to abandon everything we enjoy now, and the fact is that's not really true. Certainly we want to recognize that God is more valuable than a TV show or movie, but that doesn't mean that He'll take away your entertainment. More often, He'll want to share it with you, and He'll use it to explain Himself to you.

Now, will your tastes change over time? Of course, but that's normal. It's part of growing up, part of life in general, that your tastes will shift and evolve. That will happen whether you receive the gift of tongues or not. But as your tastes change, that doesn't mean you don't find things you love just as much.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 am

I've never spoken in tongues, but from seeing it happen it seems like more of a random onset than something one can switch on and off in any capacity. Think of it as a spirit-led, verbal epileptic seizure.

As for authenticity, I tend to believe it when I see it in a small prayer circle or some such thing that's like, semi-organized at best. But at a church service, I'm a bit more skeptical; Sometimes people fake it in front of a congregation because it looks impressive.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Lynna » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

[quote="Furen (post: 1457285)"]love those games ♥]

Just saying this, but speaking in tongues isn't really about God speaking to us. It's kind of hard for me to explain, since I've only spoken in tongues a few times, but it's kind of like the Holy Spirit inside of you is praying through you. (can maybe someone whose more familiar with praying in tongues explain?)
Lynna

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:39 am

The only thing I believe about the gift of tongues was that two people of different languages were able to understand one another. I remember my Sunday school teacher back in the day would pray over us in tongues. About the most unedifying thing ever.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 am

I gotta say I actually interpret this in a different way, but even if it's not interpreted the way I do, I think there is a stipulation that there should be someone there to interpret what's being said?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Next

Return to General