Health and Fitness

Talk about anything in here.

Health and Fitness

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Hey, guys, I was wondering, what are you doing to stay/become healthy and fit?

I didn't care for a long time but I started caring in 2009 and now it's kind of interesting to me, what different people do.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:07 pm

I cared for a while but lately I just kinda do whatever. I don't drink soda, though, and I intend to adhere to that.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:11 pm

I've been working on losing weight for 2 years now, just as a way of moving myself toward a healthier body, and for about a year what really worked was to slowly cut one or two unhealthy things at a time. Soda was one of the first things to go.

Also, another thing that has gone is fried chicken, for the most part. I just don't even like it anymore.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nanao » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm

i do martial arts but i run 6 days a week as well ^_^
Nanao

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:05 pm

I do absolutely nothing. Because life is too short to worry about that kind of stuff. Man who even cares if I add ten years onto my life. It'd be the worst years, the adult diaper wearing "My hip is in so much pain" years. Man forget those years.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

I lift dumbells(and did benchpress but I've slacked off on that lately). I also love to jog. That's slacked off a bit due to dem cold temperatures.

I'd rather just do something insane in my last ten years, like skydive when I'm 80 or armwrestle a shark.
Yamamaya

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Nate, working towards healthy and fit can also make adult diapers and hip pain not happen :P

I'm trying to do more healthy things. Not a major revamp of my diet, just more veggies and less sugar. I've been trying to stick to using the elliptical thingy we have. Also, working at Walmart makes me want to lose weight even more.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 pm

I feel that an argument about diet, health, and people going "The Bible says we should take care of ourselves" is about to spawn real soon... lol
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Dante » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Finally was able to flip over to water, stopped eating meat outside of fish (and I don't eat that much fish)... Unfortunately the chefs in India invented my bane. Now I have to focus on keeping my portion size down. Losing weight, but need to stop myself from turning that around with more apples and fruit and less "normal" meals.
Dante

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm vegan by the way, because if you're vegan than you get a bunch of special powers like telekinesis and stuff.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't do much either in terms of health. :sweat: I drink a lot of water and I've been trying to eat more fruits and veggies, but what can I say? I like my soda and cake to much.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I calorie count. It's a pain in the butt, but it works, and I can have my cake too. ^_^
Yuki-Anne

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

I also don't do much- I was walking to school... right up until a girl from my university was killed in the day in the forest preserve I went by. That stopped that real quick.

But one thing that I actively do is I really only drink water at this point in life. I'll have milk with my cerial, but that's pretty much it.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I actually need to gain a little weight anyway. None of my pants fit anymore. I started getting sick last year where I was barly eating anything and I dropped a few pounds. I have a fast metabolism anyway. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1451668) wrote:I'm vegan by the way, because if you're vegan than you get a bunch of special powers like telekinesis and stuff.

*high fives* I'm a vegetarian.

And Yuki, you don't need to lose weight.
Yamamaya

Postby Lynna » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:23 pm

I walk home from school every day, go on the occaisonal hike in Scouts, do Ballet or Gymnastics, and eat my veggies ^_^
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I could stand to eat more veggies but none of them have really sounded good lately. When I start to swing into a "down" phase it really messes with my eating habits.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

And Yuki, you don't need to lose weight.

*shrugs* I want to. Officially, I'm overweight. I enjoy running, and I figure, why not try to have the best body I can while I'm still young?
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:29 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451690) wrote:I could stand to eat more veggies but none of them have really sounded good lately. When I start to swing into a "down" phase it really messes with my eating habits.

Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1451694) wrote:*shrugs* I want to. Officially, I'm overweight. I enjoy running, and I figure, why not try to have the best body I can while I'm still young?

Do it cuz you want to, not because other people think you should. That's the way I feel about it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:54 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451708) wrote:Do it cuz you want to, not because other people think you should. That's the way I feel about it.

This.

One of the reasons why Oprah irritates me is that one episode she's saying, "IT's okay to be overweight. Be who you are!" Then the next she's ranting about how to lose weight and why people need to lose weight etc.

Ultimately it should be up to you.
Yamamaya

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm

When I snack I try to snack on fruit. And I've just started running again. Without taking a break, I can only jog a mile. My goal is to make it to at least three miles.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 pm

I wish I liked fruit. I hate most fruits. Veggies yes. Fruit no. Of course, it could be because I live in Oklahoma where produce has to be trucked in from other states for the most part.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:27 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451708) wrote:Do it cuz you want to, not because other people think you should. That's the way I feel about it.

Yeah. Actually, gaining weight was kind of my adolescent rebellion.

My mom put me on a diet when I was 11 or 12. That really did a lot of damage, I think. And honestly, when I was in middle school and my first couple years of high school, I was a perfectly reasonable weight for a girl my age. Sure, I wasn't a stick, but it's natural for girls to gain weight and fill out at that age. My last couple years of high school, my brothers moved away to college, so I didn't go out and exercise with them as much. I just gave up. When I went off to college, I really started to gain a lot of weight, and the more my mom bugged me to lose, the angrier I got with her and the less I cared to change. I mean, I never got over 200 pounds, yet she accused me of having a binge-eating disorder. That's just messed up.

It took me deciding that I was going to do it for me to lose the weight. I don't do it based on what other people think I should or shouldn't look like. I do it because I feel better when I exercise and eat healthier, and it's nice to feel like I look better. The only person who can tell me I need to lose weight is my doctor, because he would know, and so far a doctor has never told me I needed to lose weight.

EDIT: About my mom, we're good now, and she's forgiven. She doesn't do that stuff anymore. She was, I think, projecting a lot of her negative body image onto me. She was in ballet as a teen, and even at a reasonable weight, her ballet instructor told her she needed to be skinnier. She couldn't help that she was a little (and I stress A LITTLE) curvier than other girls, but that instructor was pretty nasty about her weight. So I think that damaged my mom's body image a lot, as well as other circumstances in her formative years that I won't get into.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Wow. I actually sympathize, Yuki- my dad loved to call me fat and stupid when I was little- I heard ti for years, from when I was as young as 6 or 7! And even when I was a healthy weight, he still insisted that I was fat. So I started eating larger portions because I was angry at him, and had (still have) an overweight aunt who saw nothing wrong in eating big portions.

I still haven't worked through that, but I think this coming semester I want to start shaping up.
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure some parents understand how awful their words can really be, and how they can affect their children in exactly the opposite way of what they intend. *hugs*
Yuki-Anne

Postby Midknight74012 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

[SIZE="5"]DISCLAIMER!!! I'M NOT A PHYSICIAN OR A PHYSIOLOGIST, THIS IS BASED ON WHAT I'VE READ FROM TOO MANY PLACES TO REFERENCE!!! So do be a dear and don't break everything about me down.[/SIZE]
From all the military sites, martial arts, and various other sites, the whole "Eat more Fruits and Veggies" is quite popular so stick with it. Something most people don't think about is that you gotta have a balance between Cardio exercise and Resistance training. Example, if you do strictly cardio but end up breaking your legs, knees, or whatever, and your out of commission long term, no doubt your gonna gain some weight. Once your back on your feet, your legs won't have the strength to carry yourself around. Vice versa, strictly resistance training without cardio, your gonna lose wind real quick if you can't handle a group of enemies that wish you harm.

Here's a salad recipe I picked up from Commando Krav Maga website.
HEART HEALTHY SALAD!

Ingredients (serving for 3-4 people):
-2-3 whole tomatoes
-4 cucumbers
-3-4 green onion stems
-1 avocado
-1/2 regular onion (optional)
-1/3 cup of olive oil
-1/2 lemon
-1 teaspoon of salt

Instructions:
-Dice all fruits and vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions and avocado) so they are very small and put into a large mixing bowl
-Add 1/3 cup of olive oil
-Squeeze the ½ lemon so that the juice is added into the salad
-Add 1 teaspoon of salt
-Mix it together (best by hand as long as you’ve cleaned them and don’t mind getting a little messy)

ENJOY YOUR SALAD!
Psalms 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Midknight74012

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I don't understand why people say such awful things to children.

Edit: That sounds like a good salad Midknight, 'cept for maybe the green onions.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 pm

I don't either. But a mix of control freak with a stroke that made hiom bnot be able to filter or think about things like he should means that while I'm angry at him for that, it was partially not his fault. He literally couldn't realize why it was wrong to say it.

EDIT: That salad sounds delish. I want some!
Atria35

Postby Midknight74012 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:37 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451733) wrote:Edit: That sounds like a good salad Midknight, 'cept for maybe the green onions.

Pretend it's not there.:thumb:
Psalms 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Midknight74012

Next

Return to General