Can a person really be possessed by a demon?

Talk about anything in here.

Can a person really be possessed by a demon?

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:23 pm

I know I said I wasn't going to post any more threads for awhile, so this will really be my last one for a bit. I'm just really kind of curious. Especially when you look at all those scary and freakish movies like The Exorcism and such. I'm just kind of wondering if people really do get possessed by demons? I mean, it did happen in the bible to didn't it?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:27 pm

Yes, it did happen a lot in the Bible, and I believe it is still possible even now. There's a lot going on in this world that we can't see or begin to grasp and explain, but I won't deny the possibility and occurrences of it happening still today.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:28 pm

*Shudders*. Terrifying thought isn't it?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Indeed. I wouldn't panic, though. If we have the Lord on our side, nothing can prevail against us :). Even demons know Who He is (citing the verse in James 2), and they know their ultimate fate.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:34 pm

I was just thinking about this. We may not be completly safe, but the Holy Spirit lives within us so no doubt God would help us pull through a demon attack. I worry a lot about people who don't know God though to. To put it simply, I worry about everything you could imagine. Another reason I need therapy.

TopazRaven

Postby Lynna » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:34 pm

I've heard some people suggest that some mental disorders (such as Multiple Personality Disorder) are the result of demonic activity, but I wouldn't say we know for sure...
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Short answer "Yes" with an "if," long answer "No" with a "but."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:35 pm

According to the bible, yes, but they're nothing like in the movies. The movies try to make the demons as scary as possible, because they're movies. Demons as depicted in the bible are much more like psychiatric and neurological disorders. They do not exist in physical space and cannot just suddenly possess you as you're walking along. They are more like a disease, and Jesus can heal people of both.

In easier words: The demons in movies are NOT real. Look to the bible for answers, and if the bible does not give the answer then it's not important.
Midori

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Sometimes people are too quick to conclude that somebody is demon-possessed, I'm sad to admit. Personally, the only way I would finally determine that someone is possessed is if they're exhibiting behaviors that cannot be explained by any means available to us. I'm sorry for being vague, but aside from the stories recorded in Scripture (and no thanks to film and TV depictions), we really don't know what these beings are capable of once they reside in a human being.

K. Ayato

Postby Peanut » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Honestly, I can't say. I'm generally pretty skeptical of things like this just out of nature. I have nothing wrong with naturalistic explanations for things like this and can easily see most of the occurrences of demon possession within the Bible as being mental illnesses. I've also heard enough stories from people who I consider to be credible that suggests that there is such a thing as demon possession and it isn't pleasant so, without firsthand experience, I can't say. There are three things about this which I can and will say because I think they are important to remember:

1. Christians can't be possessed by demons.

2. Demons aren't responsible for every bad thing or ailment that happens to people.

3. Prayer is about going above the head of the enemy so when people directly address a demon or spirit or Satan in their prayer with a statement like "And Satan I rebuke you," they're giving the enemy way too much credit then he deserves.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Demon possesstion is all in the NT right? I'm still in the OT. I was going through a plan to read the bible in a year so I was only reading like 3-5 chapters a day. I really end up wanting to read more though and I want to know everything that's in the bible. Like now. Lol. So I think I'm going to read in least one book of the bible every day instead of just a few chapters. I'll have a lot less questions for you all once I actually get to read through the whole bible I should think.

TopazRaven

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:42 pm

No accounts of possession are recorded in the OT, but I wouldn't go so far to say they only show up in the NT. Just my 2 cents.

K. Ayato

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:44 pm

This, of course, could have happened during the time of the OT, they just weren't recorded I would guess. Anyway, thanks everyone for the info!

TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Though the OT doesn't have "demon possession" in those words, there are many times in the OT where it mentions God sending an evil spirit into someone (most notably Saul in 1 Samuel, chapters 16 through 19)

Nate

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:02 pm

OT: Yes demon possession is real and I believe it still happens today. I do believe its more a rarity then common compared to what you see in movies all the time.

And for whoever mentioned MPD/DID, I have head that some believe that this disorder is demon possession. Going to make myself vulnerable here and say that I am a diagnosed MPD and it isn't demonic. Its psychological.

Just my 2 cents.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby MxCake » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:30 pm

ok for one if you have the holy spirit in you there is not place for a demon to go it says it in the bible im sure of it i just dont know the passage and demon possession is in places like Africa and third world country's some say because the devil is using ignorance in America and bigger country's and still uses fear with demon possession. i also think demons use disorders as a cover for demon possession and that all are not demon possession but frankly i wont talk more about because in fact even talking about demons make me sick and i dont like it.
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:34 pm

I really don't think it's fair to say though that people with mental disorders are possessed by demons though. 0.o

TopazRaven

Postby Peanut » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:11 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1447782) wrote:I really don't think it's fair to say though that people with mental disorders are possessed by demons though. 0.o

It's not, but the argument goes that in times before mental disorders were known about, they were associated with spiritual forces like demons. Now a days we look at this and have the reaction you just had but its important to remember that this was an early "form" of psychology. When it comes to the stories within the Bible, I think it is important to look at how Jesus treated individuals who were demon possessed. He did not treat them as someone to avoid or alienate and in some ways treats them as individuals with great respect. The same should be done by us to any people with mental disorders or who are truly possessed.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Midori » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:16 pm

Peanut (post: 1447788) wrote:It's not, but the argument goes that in times before mental disorders were known about, they were associated with spiritual forces like demons. Now a days we look at this and have the reaction you just had but its important to remember that this was an early "form" of psychology. When it comes to the stories within the Bible, I think it is important to look at how Jesus treated individuals who were demon possessed. He did not treat them as someone to avoid or alienate and in some ways treats them as individuals with great respect. The same should be done by us to any people with mental disorders or who are truly possessed.
I was gonna try to figure out how to say this but Peanut said it better than I ever could. :cool:
Midori

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:19 pm

It does make sense now that I think about it, so thanks for pointing that out, but what I mean was that from what some people here said then there are still some who think people with mental disorders are demon possessed. Unless I misinterrupted those post which is highly likley considering it's me we're talking about here.

TopazRaven

Postby Lynna » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Kunoichi (post: 1447766) wrote:And for whoever mentioned MPD/DID, I have head that some believe that this disorder is demon possession. Going to make myself vulnerable here and say that I am a diagnosed MPD and it isn't demonic. Its psychological.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, okay ^_^ It was just something I heard
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Peanut wrote:the argument goes that in times before mental disorders were known about, they were associated with spiritual forces like demons.

This actually wasn't limited to mental disorders. Lots of sicknesses were seen as caused by demons, curses, stars/astrological phenomenon, and so on, even the physical ones. Looking at the history of medicine, there are incantations and spells that were used to "cure" disease and illness, and the doctors of the age were also often mystics. Remember, this is before microscopes, surgery, and so on. They didn't know about viruses or chemical imbalances. Like most ancient civilizations, anything they didn't understand was attributed to the supernatural, and sickness was no exception.

Nate

Postby Dante » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:29 pm

Demons are real - and they are very nasty without taking any particular heed as to who torture for their stay. While Christians can't be "possessed" by demons from what I've heard, they can still be "oppressed" by them. And that can be a very nasty business indeed. It's not the same as a mental disorder, but having one can certainly lead to some psychological damage.

(I could certainly understand why most people wouldn't believe in them though)
Dante

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:06 pm

Just my 2 cents.
Hmm, there is a fortune lying around in this thread... n.n/)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:06 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1447745) wrote:I was just thinking about this. We may not be completly safe, but the Holy Spirit lives within us so no doubt God would help us pull through a demon attack. I worry a lot about people who don't know God though to. To put it simply, I worry about everything you could imagine. Another reason I need therapy.

My dad's a worrier. I'm a worrier. We seem to be okay.

Up to a point, don't worry about worrying. XD

Also, again you have asked a question I hadn't though of, and now I know more about something than I did before. I'm afraid I've got nothing more to add, though.

*leaves, chuckling at Rusty's post*
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm going to go with maybe since I have heard stories that seem pretty crazy.
Yamamaya

Postby Beau Soir » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:03 pm

After seeing this thread and looking through it, my first thoughts were of the story in Luke 8 about the possessed man. This man was homeless, he lived in tombs, and he was naked. You might hear it and think, "That guy sounds nuts!" But the truth was that this man was possessed by not only one demon, but many demons.
I'm not meaning to say that I think all people with mental disorders are possessed. I'm just saying that, with an example of this in the Bible, it shouldn't be entirely ruled out. That would be kind of silly to do since I don't think we can be positively sure.

So I certainly do believe that people can be possessed by demons, so long as those people have not accepted Christ as their Savior. I think of this analogy I was taught before- we're like containers, and if we're filled with the Holy Spirit, then there's no room for demons in that container, but the container can still be oppressed from the outside by demons.

Also, I second Midori's first post.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:13 am

When it comes to MPD/DID, you can't pray out a demon if there is no demon there. Chemical imbalance does not equal demon possession.

For the most part I don't really believe it exists. If it does, than sure. I don't really care though.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:11 am

I believe some of it is real, some are hoaxes and others are misunderstandings of different psychological illnesses. It would be stupid (and non-biblical) to outright deny the existence of demons though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 am

My theory as to why all those possessions happen in the NT is that Satan could feel his grip on humanity slipping and got desperate. Remember his goal is to drag as money of us down with him as possible because he knows he has already lost. TWICE! And he knows it will happen again.
I do not, however, think he always does this. This is because sin requires two things: knowledge and will. If a demon takes over you, you have no will. What can he gain? No, it's more fitting with his goal if he lulls you into a false sense of security so that you will willingly sin, and then that's where he gets you. Then he switches into his accuser role and makes you think you can never achieve God's grace again. But that is wrong. God never gives up on us, and we should never give up on Him.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to General