Favorite things about CAA

Talk about anything in here.

Favorite things about CAA

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 pm

haven't seen one of these threads, or at least not recently.

So what are some things you like about CAA?
They can be things you thought you might like about it when you joined or things you like about it now that you've been here awhile.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:17 pm

My favorite thing about this site is the people I've met here. I could insert a lot of cheesy schmaltz here but I'll skip it for now and leave it to someone who's better at that sort of thing than I am. :P
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I have to say, the thing I love about CAA is the "C" and the "A". I've always thought the last "A" was a little redundant...never really liked it much. But the "C" and the "A" are what I like the most.

[/bad joke]

Anyway, I have to say one of the things I love about CAA is that it's like a "safe haven" for anime fans who love the genre, but do not want to run the risk of compromising their beliefs.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Hmm, this is like asking what is someone's favorite thing about their house...
Mainly, it is an enviroment I can relax in. No swearing, no lude topics, and everyone here makes for a colorful bunch of characters. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:38 pm

The people, without a doubt. XD My tastes have changed over the five years that I've been a part of this site, but the people I've met here are the one factor that keeps me coming back. XD

And I mean also the fact that I have a moderation job to do. XD But the people make me enjoy it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

I really want to post into this thread, but those who've read my Q&A thread should know how hard a time I have answering any question about favorites. I'll make a valiant effort though, and perhaps go down trying.

I've noticed that here, compared to many other places on the internet, the community on average is very mature. I don't mean about the members' ages--if anything, people here tend to be younger than elsewhere--I mean their attitude at handling problems that arise. People are more considerate when they're passionate, and they even apologize when they've been unruly.

In just the short time I've been a moderator (a month and a piece), I have been in situations several times where there was a problem, and I was about to step in and break it up, only to find that before I could, some other members had carefully guided the thread in a more edifying direction. Several times I've noticed members who have been fighting apologize and make up. It's been rough occasionally, but I still see grace almost everywhere I go. I guess that's what we get when we make ourselves a Christian community.

The majority of message boards and such almost seem foreign to me after I've been here a while. It reminds me are living in an unsaved world. Our own conflicts are often very gentle in comparison to that world. In many places, when someone posts something you disagree with, insulting them directly is standard practice. I have a thick conscience and can avoid being bothered by reading things like that, but it is something I tolerate, not something I can enjoy. It becomes apparent when I come back to CAA that having a focus on respect rather than spite really enhances everyone's freedom of expression. To have a place where you can voice your opinions softly and not get strangled in public is a very valuable thing.

At the same time, while it is wonderful we have a safe haven for anime fans, we also are not a secluded island like some websites. We do live in the world, even though we are not of the world. This is about to turn into a lecture, which is not what I intend to write. I think I've said enough for you to know what I'm saying.

In conclusion, if that was tl;dr, I love the C part of CAA.
Midori

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

I really want to post into this thread, but those who've read my Q&A thread should know how hard a time I have answering any question about favorites. I'll make a valiant effort though, and perhaps go down trying.

I've noticed that here, compared to many other places on the internet, the community on average is very mature. I don't mean about the members' ages--if anything, people here tend to be younger than elsewhere--I mean their attitude at handling problems that arise. People are more considerate when their passionate, and they even apologize when they've been unruly.

In just the short time I've been a moderator (a month and a piece), I have been in situations several times where there was a problem, and I was about to step in and break it up, only to find that before I could, some other members had carefully guided the thread in a more edifying direction. Several times I've noticed members who have been fighting apologize and make up. It's been rough occasionally, but I still see grace almost everywhere I go. I guess that's what we get when we make ourselves a Christian community.

The majority of message boards and such almost seem foreign to me after I've been here a while. It reminds me are living in an unsaved world. Our own conflicts are often very gentle in comparison to that world. In many places, when someone posts something you disagree with, insulting them directly is standard practice. I have a thick conscience and can avoid being bothered by reading things like that, but it is something I tolerate, not something I can enjoy. It becomes apparent when I come back to CAA that having a focus on respect rather than spite really enhances everyone's freedom of expression. To have a place where you can voice your opinions softly and not get strangled in public is very valuable thing.

At the same time, while it is wonderful we have a safe haven for anime fans, we also are not a secluded island like some websites. We do live in the world, even though we are not of the world. This is about to turn into a lecture, which is not what I intend to write. I think I've said enough for you to know what I'm saying.

In conclusion, if that was tl;dr, I love the C part of CAA.
Midori

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Most of all, I like all of the people I've met. Over the years, I've really changed, and so have my tastes in entertainment, but I continue to come back here for the wonderful community. The community is welcoming, encouraging, challenging, and generally more accepting than any other web community I have encountered.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Swordguy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:23 am

i met my wife on it, enough said
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:42 am

I think the best thing about CAA is the fact that people here are more willing to accept me, in spite of my quirks. Since I have Asperger's, it is difficult for me to pick up social cues, so often I do and say things that I don't realize are appropriate. Here, it seems people are able to realize that I'm not really trying to be a jerk, even if I occassionally come across as one. I like the fact that there are true Christians on this site, ones who are not afraid to share their faith. In fact, I think this is the best feature. When I go to message boards that aren't Christian, I feel out of place because of all the negativity Christianity often gets in other places.(Even at Wrong Planet, a forum for Asperger's, I feel out of place because there seems to be rampant atheism and animosity towards Christianity. It's almost like they're angry at God for making them this way) I know Christianity's followers are often not the best advertisement for it, but I don't feel we should be condemned for it either. If being a Christian makes me a fool, I'd rather be a fool.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 am

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1437515) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I have to say, the thing I love about CAA is the "C" and the "A". I've always thought the last "A" was a little redundant...never really liked it much. But the "C" and the "A" are what I like the most.

[/color][/SIZE][/font]

that's awesome!

i love watching the mild debates.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 am

Even though I lurk much more than I used to, I still love coming back for the people I've met here. This is also my go-to place for new anime and I particularly love the CAA radio podcast.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 pm

It's totally the same thing as most here the people, their love for others and their love for God most importantly. It's also helped me grow and made me so much stronger a believer when I have friends that can help strengthen me, and refine me, like iron to iron. Fellowship is the second. After that I'd say that I know I'm welcome here, which is hard for me to accept in many places as I was bullied by a whole school a while ago (and if 60 people and teachers bullied you, you tend to think you aren't a great person) so to be welcomed with open arms like everyone here warms my heart. The passion people share here for everything, not just anime, (which I'm not even very up to date with to be honest, as I've said many times, I'm here cause I saw "Christian" and "Forum" in the same line) and with even my limited knowledge in it I love it here.

in short I like the "C" and the second "A" in "CAA" most, and then the first "A" is pretty nice too.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Hiryu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm

One of the things I appreciate the most is that we can hold discussions about various topics and ask for advice/prayer.

I like the people here too.
Hiryu

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:35 pm

The light text on the dark background.

Seriously it's so much easier on the eyes than a white screen with black text.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Nate (post: 1437582) wrote:The light text on the dark background.

Seriously it's so much easier on the eyes than a white screen with black text.

Agreed, I don't like CM for that reason (but why be there when I'm here :P)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Yeah I went to CM once and no offense to anyone who goes there and likes it but I took one look at the people on that board and was like "Hmm, I already don't like this place!" XD The color scheme didn't help either I guess, but yeah, this site has way better members. :p

Another thing I like about CAA is the cha...oh wait.

Oh, well there's also the fact I met a very beautiful and wonderful gir...oh wait.

Hmm, I know! It's the really awesome shoutb...oh wait.

In all seriousness though we do have a lot of great members on here, no lie.

Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Nate (post: 1437586) wrote:Another thing I like about CAA is the cha...oh wait.

Hmm, I know! It's the really awesome shoutb...oh wait.

What, no Bump Thread? XD

Also, I totally agree about the white text/dark gray background. That was most definitely a change for the better. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm

I also like the fact that the Mods are very nice here. I was afraid at first that they'd be very stern and "cruel taskmaster-ish" but they're anything but! In fact, I knew a few of them before they even became mods: Midori, Radical Dreamer, and I think there was one more too.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby airichan623 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:15 pm

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1437515) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Anyway, I have to say one of the things I love about CAA is that it's like a "safe haven" for anime fans who love the genre, but do not want to run the risk of compromising their beliefs.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Amen. It's wonderful to have a place to talk anime without all the girls going "OMGee YAOI!!! How come you dont like [insert yaoi pairing here]?!?" and the guys having awkward hentai discussions.
GeneD (post: 1437574) wrote:This is also my go-to place for new anime and I particularly love the CAA radio podcast.

Same goes for me. I almost left FMA unread because of the 1st volume, but then people like mech told me to keep going, and well, now i am a fannie.

Most of all, I love the loving, supportive Christian circle we have here. The prayer room has lifted my spirits and helped me understand so many things about God, and about life. I initially found this site looking for christian anime reviews, and joined in order to write some myself, which is another thing i love: here I can freely ask about content without being shunned for "why do you care what's in this? Just watch it and luv it, jeez." I have also made great friends here who have helped me so much. It's so great that there is somewhere like this for Christian anime fans. I go to a Christian school, and sometimes stuff like this gets the "watch this and ur a weirdo" For the longest time, I felt like I was the only Christian who liked this stuff. Until I found this site.

In a nutshell, I love this site like a squirrel loves acorns!

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

rocklobster (post: 1437591) wrote:I also like the fact that the Mods are very nice here. I was afraid at first that they'd be very stern and "cruel taskmaster-ish" but they're anything but! In fact, I knew a few of them before they even became mods: Midori, Radical Dreamer, and I think there was one more too.

How could you forget the ever-adorable Tsukuyomi?! Actually, listing the mods frightens me because I feel like I'm going to forget a bunch of people I really like, then I'll be like, "Oh man, I'm sorry! I... I, like, knew you were a mod and stuff, and I think you're an awesome mod, but for some reason I just didn't... remember... you... :eh:"

What I love about CAA is for sure the people. Ya'll are hilarious, and sometimes you really make me think. Not having very many friends where I'm at right now, CAA has been really great as a support system for me during my lonely times. You're all very encouraging.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 pm

rocklobster (post: 1437591) wrote:I also like the fact that the Mods are very nice here. I was afraid at first that they'd be very stern and "cruel taskmaster-ish" but they're anything but!

again quoted for truth

I love the mods here, they are interactive here!
Furen

Postby timothy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Furen (post: 1437607) wrote:again quoted for truth

I love the mods here, they are interactive here!

i am new here
timothy

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm

XD hey welcome, but this isn't the area to post a "hello, I'm new" place, that's for this area here
Furen

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:43 pm

I like it because it's so active. People come up with the best threads, and you're free to make your own, and you'll ususally get at least one person to respond- which is more than I can say for many anime forums!
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:26 pm

I agree with absolutely everything everyone has said!

It's really awesome how there's such a strong sense of unity and friendship here. Everyone is so warm and welcoming, and willing to be friends. Every member is welcomed with...Almost the assumption that they're awesome and we'll be great friends. I really love all the people here I'm so glad I came!!
Goof of has made my Day loads of times lol!
And It's really great that there are other Christians who like Anime! Just like everyone else has said, lol. I love the reviews, which have made it so much easier to find out the content of the anime, especially from a christian point of view. I have had so many reccomendations from here it is awesome!
In otherwords, I like the "C', the "A' and the "A"!!!!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Swordguy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:06 pm

i actually loved the bump thread back in the day, sad it became what it did
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:What, no Bump Thread? XD

Crap, forgot about that one... :l

Nate

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:15 pm

If there were to be a bump thread, it should be in general as it has a purpose.
Furen

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Furen (post: 1437677) wrote:If there were to be a bump thread, it should be in general as it has a purpose.

They are talking about an old, dead thread. It was well before your time, as it was closed about four years ago. If you are interested in the history, you can always use the CAA time-machine/search-engine and look it up.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Next

Return to General