Do you sew...

Talk about anything in here.

Do you sew...

Postby Blacklight » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:57 pm

... or knit, or crochet, or cut things up or any other method of altercation to make an article of clothing(or similar) your own?

I've made three slit-shirts in the past, made armwarmers out of a pair of footless tights(and fishnet tights), wristbands out of socks, and aside from recycling, I've (helped) made a trenchcoat, a corset and two dresses for myself.
I also make jewelry, and stick chains and studs on my shoes, wallet, jeans, etc.

So, does anyone else make stuff they can't find in stores? (or alter things that they find in stores.)

(This seems like the right place to put this, but I'm sorry if I got it wrong.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:32 pm

I make gift bags and alter clothes that I have (sometimes, as long as it's a simple alteration). What I WANT to do is make a plushie or two. But that, alas, takes a little more skill than I have right now.
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm

I can sew, I've made a few costumes (With some help, I'm not the best at reading patterns.). My sewing machine isn't any good, though, it doesn't seem to take my bobbins...
Ante Bellum

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:47 pm

I can sew, knit, and crochet. I don't normally like sewing (and all the sewing machines that hate me don't help). Mostly I did doll dresses, though with my Mom's help I made a me-sized skirt and dress.

I've knit scarves, hats, a hairband, slippers I don't wear, and a doll sweater. I've crocheted dishcloths, a me-sized sweater, a million triangles for a project that DIDN'T WORK, a doll sweater, and a doll hat to match the knit sweater, and... more I can't remember, I think. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby sailorsaturn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 pm

I can knit on a loom, (The brand I own is called a Knifty Knitter, but I knew that there are others.) crochet, and sew a little.

I've knitted MANY hats, and a few scarves, crocheted... lots :P and and sewed a bag, and couple Halloween costumes, and... I know I've done more, but can't remember what exactly right off. :P
sailorsaturn

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 pm

I can sew, knit, and crochet. My mom's a seamstress, and pretty good at crafty things (such and knitting), and has taught me most everything she knows.

I can make just about anything, but most of the time I'm just too lazy too finish any of it. With sewing, I'm more likely to finish, for some reason. I have a lot of dresses, skirts, and a vest and jacket I made myself. I think sewing clothes is really fun once you get the hang of it. I also have made a few halloween costumes and such.

For some reason, with knitting and crocheting, I get so bored with anything I try to make that I never finish. For some reason, pretty much the only things I ever finish are scarves. Don't know why. I know how to make much more complicated things, but I just never finish them. I've got like, 5 half finished afghans, and two half finished sweaters. And a bunch of socks that I never made the match for.

Also, for some reason, I always finish knitting or crocheting something quicker if it has horizontal stripes. Not sure why. I guess because if I don't have stripes I'll get bored and give up after one row, whereas if it has stripes, I'm often like, "I HAVE TO FINISH THIS STRIPE!!! @_o"
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Furen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:53 pm

I can kinda sew, I patch up my clothes if they are nice and they get ripped, like dress pants.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 pm

I crochet ^^ I recently started up recently. My nephew wants a scarf, so I'll be tackling that lol
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:52 am

I know the basics of sewing, but I'm not that good at it. Knitting was way too hard to follow so I tried crocheting. I admit I'm a perfectionist with these kinds of crafts. I haven't gone past making a foundation chain 'cause every time I attempt to make a slip stitch, it doesn't look right, foundation chain gets loose and I have to start all over @_@.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby jadeTheshade » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:51 am

i sew a lot...mainly i make little dolls to tsell at craft firs, but i like fingerless gloves so i've made a few out of old t-shirts, i've designed and built a shirt that laces p in the back and a 'straitjacket' that somewhat resembles the real thing but is actually functional enough to wear to college just about every day...
did a friends cosplay costume one time, that was a lot of fun...^^

@ Antebellum
what costumes have you made?
@preincess zelda
what kind of clothes do you like to make? just normal stuff you make yourself, or alternative fashion, or what?
just curious ;)
[font="Book Antiqua"]two roads diverged in a wood and i
took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference
-Robert F[color="black"][color="Blue"][/color][/color]rost[/font]
jadeTheshade

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 am

Knitting is totally beyond my comprehension, but I can stitch something back up with a needle and thread if I need to. I'd like to attempt some serious sewing, and I'd LOVE to learn cross-stitch, but...all this crap costs money. ;_; I need to stick with my Perler beading for a while to justify all the money I've spent on it...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby samurai10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 pm

my sister once made a very small pillow. it was for her wedding. it was cute. i know the basics of sewing, and the basics of crocheting, but nothing else really.....
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Remembered earlier, I crocheted a pair of fingerless gloves, too. I tend to wear them when drawing something, so I smear the pencil lines less. XD
PrincessZelda (post: 1435158) wrote:For some reason, with knitting and crocheting, I get so bored with anything I try to make that I never finish. For some reason, pretty much the only things I ever finish are scarves. Don't know why. I know how to make much more complicated things, but I just never finish them. I've got like, 5 half finished afghans, and two half finished sweaters. And a bunch of socks that I never made the match for.

That is because they are boring things to do. XD

If it's something where every row is the same for a long time, have you ever tried watching a movie or TV while you knit? You just glance down every once in a while, and if you're good enough to not constantly drop stitches it's easy. And much less boring. XD

I remember knitting part of a winter hat while watching Lawrence of Arabia...

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:44 pm

@Jade
I've made the cape and mantle...thing...for Vincent, as well as the headband. I had some help since it was the first time I was making my own. I made the shirt for a Trauma Center cosplay, as well as a mask and belt/bag. Once again, needed help with the pattern for the shirt, but the belt, bag, and mask I made myself. I've also helped make cloaks.

I tried crocheting once, couldn't get it. I do like sewing, though, and I wish I had a better machine for it. Lucky me, I can sew a little by hand. I'm not the best but it works fine, so I ignore how bad it looks.
Ante Bellum

Postby Arya Raiin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:51 pm

I can:

Sew (not very well but I can make simple things, the most complicated thing I've helped to make was an Organization XIII costume. That was HARD!)

When it comes to jewelery I can do ANYTHING! I've made so much stuff! XD

Crochet... I can but by no means can I make anything other than a scarf.

But yea, jewelery is my choice hobby if I have what I need to do it. :D
Arya Raiin

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:15 pm

I mend my own clothes and I've made a few odds and ends in the sowing department. In general, though, I don't do it, because I have to finish a project all at once or it never gets finished.

I can crochet and knit, but nothing very complicated. Most of the time I just choose not to. I enjoy making earrings.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 am

I knit, crochet and spin (using a drop spindle --haven't learned how to use a wheel yet.) I can knock out a scarf using crochet or knitting in about a week (can only work on it for a few hours a day.)

I've made a giant blanket with a huge crochet hook and 3 strands of yarn (to act as one large strand). I wound up giving it to my retired dog unfinished (the border around it was not done yet --I got tired of seeing it and feeling the scratchy Red Heart yarn of doom.)

My friend is in the process of drafting up an easy hat pattern for beginners that incorporates a lot of different knitting stitches. You learn the stitches and what they look like while you knit it. I saw the finished project (she makes up patterns in her head on a regular basis) and it looks awesome. I'm excited about getting started on it.

I started a sock with DPNs (double-pointed needles) but kept dropping the slippery things, so I'm going to make one using the Magic Loop method (with a long cable needle.) I have some very nice sock yarn that is nice to touch. I'm excited to make something with it.

I sew some by hand and machine (haven't used a machine in a good while.) I sew well enough by hand to repair clothes and put on buttons, but that's it.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Tancos » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 pm

I used to sew quite a bit -- mostly garb for the SCA, but occasionally also some practical items, like jackets and bicycle clothes. However, my good sewing machine needs repair, and there's never enough time these days.
Tancos

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Well, I just picked up crocheting this last weekend. Though I am FAR better at this than knitting, I think I'll stick to large blankets and scarfs.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah, crocheting is nice because it's faster and more forgiving than knitting. I think I learned crocheting first. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 pm

I've taken up cross stitching. It's not too bad. Only frustration is when the threads get twisted into knots from time to time. Sometimes I'm successful and free them. Other times I have to snip the thread and start anew with a much shorter piece of what remains. Oh well.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1440622) wrote:Yeah, crocheting is nice because it's faster and more forgiving than knitting. I think I learned crocheting first. XD

That was definitely a good choice- I wish I had!

So right now I'm working on making myself a blanket as a starter progect (so I can leanr the stitches), and then moving onto helping a few friends make aby balnkets. I don't know anyone who's expecting, personally, so when my friends invited me to help me on those projects I was really happy.
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:41 pm

I can sew quite well, but I just don't have the time. I can knit too, and I really want to learn to crochet
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Sheenar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1440622) wrote:Yeah, crocheting is nice because it's faster and more forgiving than knitting. I think I learned crocheting first. XD

Depends on your style of doing it and your physical abilities. For me, knitting goes along much faster --b/c it's easier to get the yarn onto the needle than onto the crochet hook. But that's just because I struggle with dexterity in my hands. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby shooraijin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:39 pm

I sew, but because of my physician training, I tend to use surgeon's knots. For example, I repaired my pillow with a line of interrupted instrument ties. Doesn't look so good, but holds very well, and what are pillowcases for?

And I spent part of Thanksgiving weekend repairing buttonholes on my dress shirts. Very domestic.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:27 am

Did somebody say sue?
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Sheenar (post: 1440700) wrote:Depends on your style of doing it and your physical abilities. For me, knitting goes along much faster --b/c it's easier to get the yarn onto the needle than onto the crochet hook. But that's just because I struggle with dexterity in my hands. :)

I guess so. Crocheting was easier for me, at least. ^^

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I can see how both could be easier under certain circumstances- but I will say that I had an impossible time trying to get yarn onto knitting needles! I'm just very bad at it :(
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm

How appropriate, I'm sewing right now! I mostly make plushies, but I have sewn a simple dress before and I made a school neckerchief for a cosplay. Sewing is fun! I used to just recycle stuff too, like socks for arm warms, but once I learned how to sew I started making other stuff.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:54 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1441126) wrote:How appropriate, I'm sewing right now! I mostly make plushies

I really want to learn to make plushies- I want to make one of my best friends a Kyo plushie for her birthday nest year! I just need to find a proper tutorial on it >.>" People plushies are so complicated....
Atria35

Next

Return to General