"Your life soley on this"

Talk about anything in here.

"Your life soley on this"

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 pm

SO
Here is my... almost admittance of defeat.

I have no idea what I'm getting into.
I'm applying for University on thursday, with a really great chance of getting in (I'm an honours student, well composed active member of the community blah blah blah).
My mother asked me today "So, you're going for your bachelor of arts, right?"
and I go "Yes."
and she goes "With a major in psychology?"
and I go "Probably"
And she goes "... so, once you graduate you know you'll probably be working a dead end job, right?"
And I go "... I know."
And she goes "So. We need a better plan then, don't we? I'm not paying $70,000 for your education if you're going to be nobody."

It's really got me thinking.
I'm going for my bachelor of arts, for certain, with either a major in:

a) Philosophy and Religion
b) Psychology
c) Computing Science (This is really a last resort kind of option)

The thing is, the first two are the things I really see myself being happy studying, and pursuing- my career choices. But, I don't see myself going to school for 8 years to get my PhD, so going into psych is pointless unless I plan on pursuing it fully.
Philosophy and religion I can't really do, well, ANYTHING with. I'd love to be a theological professor, or scholar of some sort, but the chances of that happening are extremely unlikely.

So, this is me really really asking for help.

What jobs can I get with a) and b) , realistically. I know so many people who have a bachelor of arts with a major in psychology, and they work at retail stores or as secretaries somewhere.
I have no idea what I could do afterward, after I'm out of school. There are really no solid job oppertunities waiting for me on the day I graduate- nothing will be open that 400,000 other students won't be grabbing for- and I don't think I'll be in that 2% that'll get lucky.

My question, I guess, is: What is there for the options I've listed? It's too late for me to change what I plan on doing- it's truly what makes me happy and interested, aside from art and music, but I've given up on that one. I'm wondering what I can do with what I'm going to be taking, what I can achieve after I've gone through the schooling- what oppurtunities are out there, how I can get them, success stories, failures... anything really would be... great.
I just feel like I'm at a dead end when I haven't even started, and it's really messing me up.
I'm talking to the school counciller tommorow about what I can do, so hopefully that'll clear some of this up.

Thanks for... bearing with me.

Bee.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby ADXC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 pm

Well for Psychology, you could (And I know this sounds redundant.) become a Psychologist. This will require you to work with some people(Your customers.) who are "beside themselves".

And for Philosophy and Religion, you could end up teaching it. But ultimately Im not sure what else there is.

Oh man, Im so sorry for my limited help. I was, a few years ago, thinking about becoming a Psychologist. But now Im just not sure what I want to become.
ADXC

Postby sharien chan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Well psych is kind of a broad major...theres industrial/organizational psych, behavioral, cognitive, abnormal, research etc.
What about a counseling or a social work degree? You would probably need a masters, but there are some jobs with DCF etc where you don't need a masters.
sharien chan

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Yeah, I was just thinking either psych- as in researching the human condition and behavior, working with literature on the subject, etc, etc.
Or being a psychologist, which I would LOVE to do, but again, I'd have to go to 8 years of schooling. Tough to do =\

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:31 pm

I've heard that an abundance of psychology majors is one of the reasons France can't get out of the economic gutter.

It sucks. It's a hard decision. But I think poverty is much, much worse than a lack of job satisfaction. Not even poverty, but there are a lot of things you just can't do without money. For some people, compsci is really boring, but it's probably a question of whether you have the luxury to appease your boredom.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Helloooo. Resident Psychology major here! =) (Well... and Carla too XD)

Usually if you're a Psych Major, Graduate school is a must. To finish Grad school you will need at minimum 5-6 years of schooling. If you're really special, you can get your Masters in one and Doctorate in the next, but you have to be exceptionally awesome (and maybe Canadian) to do so.

You'll need at least a Masters degree if you want to do any kind of professional counseling work. However, I believe that if have a Bachelors (and generally jobs prefer you get a Bachelors in Science as opposed to Arts) in Psychology, and you have a minor/concentration in sociology or some type of social work, it's possible for you to engage in social work jobs, which generally require less credentials. It would be best to double-check with professors and adviser on this though. Such jobs are like... working with abused children and stuff. But in terms of money, you will make more if you get at least a Masters.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby goldenspines » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 pm

First, before you do anything(even breathe), pray about it. God has a plan in mind for you and even if something seems impossible, if that's the direction God is calling you, it will definitely happen.

Psycology does seem like the most profitable choice in this case, just because so many things can be done with it, like Sharien mentioned. (you can do an internet search of "jobs for bachelor psychology majors" and see what you could find. You can also do the same for Philosophy majors as well).

Something worth looking into while you're in school is an internship involving your major. That might be one of the best ways to learn skills for a job and perhaps locate what jobs you can get after school.

I wish you luck.
goldenspines

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:26 pm

Also keep in mind that with a Psych degree you are setting yourself in for a long term commitment. There is no job you can get that will not require AT LEAST a masters, and MORE LIKELY a doctorate or two.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby That Dude » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:30 pm

I agree with the praying that Goldenspines advised that you do. Also remember that it is ok to kinda wait a while to get into college and test the waters to see what you want to be doing, though college is great you can get by well enough without it and still have a happy career.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1274757) wrote: If you're really special, you can get your Masters in one and Doctorate in the next, but you have to be exceptionally awesome (and maybe Canadian) to do so.

I'm Canadian XP But not really special ><

Yeaaa....
well...
I'm so confused about it. I don't feel like God is "pulling" me towards anything imparticular. Generally, I want to be moderately satisfied with what I do, and most importantly I want to have money. If money outweighs job satisfaction (not by too much though) , I'm still fine with that.
I just want something that challenges my mind, more-so my thought and rationale. That's why psych and phil interest me so much more then computer sciences, which is also facinating.
I'll pray on it for sure.

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming if you can manage ^_^;;

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Keep in mind that it's okay to go into college undecided and you can always change majors. You don't need to have everything planned out right now.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:12 pm

But also choose your major with a career in mind. Go to learn a trade. Otherwise, you'll be hung when you graduate, particularly in the present job market.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:18 am

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1274744) wrote:What jobs can I get with a) and b) , realistically. I know so many people who have a bachelor of arts with a major in psychology, and they work at retail stores or as secretaries somewhere.

I'm not sure about (a) other than teaching. With (b) however, there are a few other options depending on how you do it. Some psychology background is useful in advertising for example. Also, if you have strong computing and mathematics skills, and have pursued courses in neural computation, some hightech firms would also be interested (a Master's would probably help though). You could also combine your psychology degree with a social work programme and do something in that direction as well.

My question, I guess, is: What is there for the options I've listed? It's too late for me to change what I plan on doing- it's truly what makes me happy and interested, aside from art and music, but I've given up on that one.

Have you considered a multimedia arts program like they have at McMaster?
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/undergraduate/multimedia.html
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Peanut » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:27 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1274757) wrote:Helloooo. Resident Psychology major here! =) (Well... and Carla too XD)

Usually if you're a Psych Major, Graduate school is a must. To finish Grad school you will need at minimum 5-6 years of schooling. If you're really special, you can get your Masters in one and Doctorate in the next, but you have to be exceptionally awesome (and maybe Canadian) to do so.

You'll need at least a Masters degree if you want to do any kind of professional counseling work. However, I believe that if have a Bachelors (and generally jobs prefer you get a Bachelors in Science as opposed to Arts) in Psychology, and you have a minor/concentration in sociology or some type of social work, it's possible for you to engage in social work jobs, which generally require less credentials. It would be best to double-check with professors and adviser on this though. Such jobs are like... working with abused children and stuff. But in terms of money, you will make more if you get at least a Masters.

Ryan basically stole what I was going to say so I'm just going to quote it again. Pay and job opportunities tend to increase with each degree you get, so getting your masters (no matter what you do) at some point is highly recommended...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 pm

How long will it take me to do this though?

I talked to some councillers at school today, and all of them told me it would be 8 years of schooling, and 2 years of internships if I say, like I do, wanted to be a therapist.
But seriously.
10 freaking years?
I don't have that kind of money to have $150,000 + in student loans, WITH scholarships. =\

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 pm

In which case, which would be better for me to go into:

bachelor of arts in psych
or
bachelor of science in psych

And what are the differences? I don't like science, and I like art, but I don't think that has much to do with my major, since it'd be the same course regardless.
The minors wouldn't be affected as well... right?

Anyway, what difference is there in the undergraduate degree I have?

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:55 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1274858) wrote:How long will it take me to do this though?

I talked to some councillers at school today, and all of them told me it would be 8 years of schooling, and 2 years of internships if I say, like I do, wanted to be a therapist.
But seriously.
10 freaking years?
I don't have that kind of money to have $150,000 + in student loans, WITH scholarships. =\

It's not *quite* that bad. As an undergraduate, your approximate tuition is $4000-5000 depending on where you study, and you can still apply for bursaries, student loans, etc. Living expenses will vary depending on your particular situation, although summer jobs will help defray this somewhat (BTW, start looking for summer jobs in september). Generally, the rate of pay will increase as you move into jobs related to your field.

After your undergraduate degree, your master's degree will take about 2 years, during which time you will be paid. You will also be paid during any internships you take on.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:19 pm

After your undergraduate degree, your master's degree will take about 2 years, during which time you will be paid. You will also be paid during any internships you take on.

What do you mean by this? Paid?

Again, I'm not sure if a bachelor of science of arts would be better. What's the difference? I hate science, but if I'm doing the same major and minor as the bachelor of arts degree, then would there even be a difference?

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:35 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1274869) wrote:What do you mean by this? Paid?

It means just that. With a standard thesis-based master's degree you will be paid to go to school. Essentially you are compensated for your research-related work as well as for working as a teaching assistant. How much this will be depends on the school and the department. For example, when I was doing my master's degree I got paid about $1,000 per month after tuition was deducted.

Again, I'm not sure if a bachelor of science of arts would be better. What's the difference? I hate science, but if I'm doing the same major and minor as the bachelor of arts degree, then would there even be a difference?

Hopefully someone majoring in psychology or familiar with the programmes can tell you more about this. My only real contact with the psychology department has been on a research level (audiology, neural computation, etc).

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Check this out:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bachelor-Degree---BA-Vs.--BS&id=272581

In my school, the difference between the two are very minor. BA is essentially a few less Psychology courses and some foreign language courses. Others may be different, as you may have to focus on classes such as Research and/or Statistical methods.

Regardless, the workload will be a little harder, but one isn't more "artistic or scientific" than the other. That being said, I think it would be better that you went for the B.S.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:09 pm

I see...

Someone just told me this:

"I'll be honest with you: if you want to go into psychology and get a job, you have to take courses in medicine and be a psychiatrist. Psychologists don't get a whole lot of work, and even if you found something, there's nowhere to go after that."

Truth in this?
=[
I'm hoping not... it's really freaking me out.

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 pm

Who said that? There's more work besides Psychiatry that is available, granted having a Doctorate in general would vastly help. You could go into Clinical Psychology or Counseling Psychology. Those do not require medicine.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:15 pm

Yes...
=\
well, say I wanted to be a clinical therapist?

Could you explain what you mean by "doctorate in general"?
Normally I wouldn't ask these kind of questions, seriously, I really apologize for this =[ I just want to get my facts straight is all...

And thanks for all the help... =]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:16 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1274885) wrote:I see...

Someone just told me this:

"I'll be honest with you: if you want to go into psychology and get a job, you have to take courses in medicine and be a psychiatrist. Psychologists don't get a whole lot of work, and even if you found something, there's nowhere to go after that."

Truth in this?
=[
I'm hoping not... it's really freaking me out.

Have you spent any time talking to anyone from the universities, or attending information sessions? It would be helpful to get perspectives from those involved in the field.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:18 pm

I've talked to admissions councilors, and I've been emailing plenty of people with questions. I talked to the principal of our school today, tomorrow I'll be talking with someone else I'm sure... I'm trying to do all the research I can.
I like in a town in the middle of nowhere, so it's really hard for me to attend anything =\

-sigh-
I feel really lost on this one, it's psyching me out and ... I'm... going... to... explode...

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Your best bet would be to email and ask the psychology professors themselves. They have the knowledge and background of working within their profession.

A doctorate in general meaning... having a doctorate in anything. XD In our case, whether it be Clinical, Counseling, Experimental, Cognitive, whatever. If you have a doctorate (Ph.D or Psy.D) than you are very likely to have a well-paying job. I plan to pursue Counseling or Clinical Psychology, so I hope to one day get a doctorate in that field. =)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:40 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1274889) wrote:I've talked to admissions councilors, and I've been emailing plenty of people with questions. I talked to the principal of our school today, tomorrow I'll be talking with someone else I'm sure... I'm trying to do all the research I can.
I like in a town in the middle of nowhere, so it's really hard for me to attend anything =\

-sigh-
I feel really lost on this one, it's psyching me out and ... I'm... going... to... explode...

Don't be too worried. Most university science programmes have what is effectively a common first year (there will be some variation). There is some flexibility, but you generally don't have to make the hard decisions until the beginning of 2nd year. That will give you more time to get to know the discipline and interact with the profs.

For example the basic year 1 life sciences stream:
http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/prospective/life_sciences.html
Allows you to have a fairly wide range of options going into 2nd year. This list will be the same for most other universities. I don't know enough about the social work programmes to say much about them however.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Anyway, I talked to a professor from the University I'm attending, and he told me that it'll take me 4 years to complete my undergrad, 2 years to complete my MA, and 3-4 years for the Ph.D.
So, essentially 10 years of schooling.
Dewd.

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Yeah, I know exactly what you're going through. When I started telling people I was going to major in art, everyone was either like "You aren't going to have a very good job with that degree..." or "You're going to do graphic design? Graphic designers get paid a lot" and then when I told them I was planning on Fine Arts, they would say the first response as well.

In the end, I ended up having to just stop listening to what everyone else was saying, and really look at what I wanted to do with my future. I realized after a while that I really didn't think I wanted to do anything else but art. I also prayed about it, and I really think art is what God wants me to do.

So, I chose a major in Fine Arts, despite the fact that I might not be able to get a good job, because I felt like it was the right thing to do. Though to me, I would rather be doing something I love, something I'm good at, and not be making much money than doing something I hate and being rich.

But that's just me. You might be completely different... But I guess my main point is just pray about it, and think about what you really do want to spend the rest of your life doing.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 pm

PrincessZelda (post: 1274919) wrote: and think about what you really do want to spend the rest of your life doing.

See, that's what gets me:
why do I need to know what I'm going to spend the rest of my life doing?
Why should I EVER need to know that?

I mean, the things I like to do change with the knowledge and experience I get. I want to be able to challenge myself like that.

I'm just getting to far ahead of myself I guess.

But seriously.
10 YEARS?! To be a shrink? 10 years?! Thats... ridiculous! =\

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Next

Return to General