Getting Sick: Home remedies anyone?

Talk about anything in here.

Getting Sick: Home remedies anyone?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:33 am

So I thought I'd make this thread, because suddenly I seem to have fallen victim to a freak Cold/flu thing that is going around my college town.

What are some home remedies that you guys use to make yourself feel better?

Sometimes I just sleep the whole thing away, (If I don't have any classes or homework, and this is dependent on if I CAN sleep.)

Other times, I chugairborne or emergan-C mixed with water, or eat ice chips if I have an upset stomach.

My dad has told me that drinking powerdered jello mixed with water (not allowing it to become actual jello) is also great for upset stomachs. I guess it's a lot like peptobismal?

Lol, I hope this thread is helpful, and it would be interesting to read what different little remedies you guys use. :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Okami » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am

I too have been under this cold thing on-campus. This past Saturday I spent the day hopped up on Dayquil surrounded by tissues (and awesome friends who gave me more tissues <3) but slept through most of the day where I could weasel it in. So my remedy is sleeping unless I am drugged enough to the point of functioning without sniffling/sneezing/coughing/etc. every three seconds. Otherwise I'm dragging a miserable self to class unless I have a fever or am throwing up.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Xeno » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:51 am

I print out and a eat pictures of Chuck Norris. Usually scares the germs right out of my system.

However, IF that doesn't work, I'll take some Airborne right when I'm starting to feel the effects kick in and get some sleep. If that doesn't knock it out of my system then a day or two of Dayquil in the day and Nyquil in the night will normally take care of it.
Xeno

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 am

You're wasting your money on Airborn- it's been proven that it's just a multivitamin, and that the person who made it was just making a quick buck. It's cheaper if you go for the actual multivitamins.

Ginger ale or ginger pills are good for upset stomachs- ginger is a natural remedy for nausea and/or seasickness. I keep some around for when I feel ill.

Water and orange juice to keep hydrated and for the Vitamin C.

Hot tea and honey for sore throats (and if I'm at risk for bacteria in the throat due to a runny nose, whiskey- it kills the bacteria better than mouthwash, plus it's safe to swallow).

But sleep is always number 1 for me. I have been known to fall asleep for 12 hours and wake up well at the end of it.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I've heard chicken soup can do the job. There's even research to back it up!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby blkmage » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Copious amounts of congee and Tylenol.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Atria35 (post: 1503817) wrote:
But sleep is always number 1 for me. I have been known to fall asleep for 12 hours and wake up well at the end of it.

This. Sleep is paramount to getting healthy.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Sleep, eating food (very important to eat whatever you can!), and depending on what's wrong, sinus rinses. The first time I tried a sinus rinse, I was doubtful and a bit weirded out by the concept, but I had a sinus infection and no health insurance. After doing it once, the infection was cleared and I felt better within the day. Ever since, I have made it a habit whenever I get a cold. For whatever reason, it knocks the cold out fast.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I've heard zinc is supposed to shorten the severity/duration of colds. Might be worth a shot. Nasal saline rinses are good too. Also, peppermint tea is good for an upset stomach (not to mention delicious).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Kay, this may sound stupid but it works!

For stuffy nose and/or cough caused by that stuffy nose:
When going to bed, rub Vicks Vaporub on feet and wear socks.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby TheMewster » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Really? Vicks on your FEET? Anyway I may need some of these dice I've already came down with a cold recently and may be coming down with one for te second time this month.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:56 pm

My favorite cold fighter so far has been hydrocodone. I don't spend the entire not coughing.
Shao Feng-Li

Hmm...

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:26 am

The only thing that seems to really work is honey and lemons, oranges, limes...basically any citrus fruit. Vitamin C from the fruit and honey is anti-bacterial.
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share your name
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:32 am

How on earth does a sinus rinse work? It sounds suffocating.

When I have a major cold, I drink lots of water, have some foods with Vitamin C (or the tablets), lots of sleep/rest and eat healthily. But you should really be doing that anyway.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Asuka Neko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm

I remember once when one of my friends lost her voice right before the night of the school play in which she had a major role she chugged honey all day.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1504017) wrote:How on earth does a sinus rinse work? It sounds suffocating.
If it is what I think it is, you basically breath in salt water through your nose. At least, that's my family's version of it. The salinity kills the bacteria while the water rinses out the snot.

Asuka Neko (post: 1504169) wrote:I remember once when one of my friends lost her voice right before the night of the school play in which she had a major role she chugged honey all day.

....did it work?
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 pm

On the subject of honey, it's really good on minor burns because not only is it anti-bacterial, it's also anti-inflammatory. I've used it a few times and it really does help relieve the pain and helps it heal a little bit faster.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Atria35 (post: 1503817) wrote:Hot tea and honey for sore throats (and if I'm at risk for bacteria in the throat due to a runny nose, whiskey- it kills the bacteria better than mouthwash, plus it's safe to swallow).

You beat me to this one: one of my standard cold remedies is a classic hot toddy, with hot tea, honey, and just a splash of brandy. I can't say that the brandy really does anything medicinally, but it makes the whole thing taste even better.
Mouse2010

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:24 pm

^ I completely admit to never having had a hot toddy. They sound amazing though. Would you mind PMing the recipe you use? I've seen them with slight variations, and I'm scared to make one because the liquor is so expensive.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Atria, ah, thanks, mate. I'm familiar with salt rinses then.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Asuka Neko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Atria35 (post: 1504171) wrote:....did it work?

Yup, it worked just fine!
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 pm

I've heard several people say that whiskey/brandy is good for a sore throat. I don't really like the taste of alcohol but maybe I should pick up a bottle of whiskey for the upcoming cold season. I hate having a sore throat and I've yet to find anything that actually helps (Chloraseptic is gross and doesn't work very well for me).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Return to General