Do you believe in ghosts?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Mechana, I read my post again, it reads like a conspiracy theorist. I should've said it was more an interesting theory than anything else (I know little of the sciene behind such things). Still Atria makes a good point and your after-image idea seems very plausible to me. Cheers.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Lynna » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Impressions huh? Maybe they're something from the illusionary world! (Clannad has officially taken over my brain)
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Atria35 (post: 1503156) wrote:Well, it's been proven that high electromagnetic fields affect people in really funky ways- paranoia, nausea, skin irritation- so it's possible that those have something to do with it, since those are usually associated with hauntings.

*remembers the billion and one times I've seen those detectors show someone has something improperly insulated*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound#Human_reactions_to_infrasound
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 am

OOOO! So a second culprit enters the scene! xD I bet that these two things combined would account for a lot of supposed 'hauntings', and then you have the occasional cases of carbon monoxide poisoning that occasionally pop up on those shows (which cause hallusicinations of all sorts, plus is deadly in high enough doses).
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:18 am

Interesting. So things like The Silence in Doctor Who were possibly emitting infra soundwaves?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maokun » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:55 am

When it comes to thing like this I like not to have a pre-formed opinion on the matter. There's little physical evidence supporting it, but that is not always an absolute indication of nonexistence. And then you have the testimonies of several people, lots of whom don't appear to be too crazy. I enjoy the thought of there being more mysteries out there that explanations. Keeps thing interesting.

Atria35 (post: 1502999) wrote:Of course, the caveat is that there also wasn't any scientific evidence for the tectonic plates moving until the 50's, so it's entirely possible that we just don't have the evidence yet.

I wish more people realized how important is this way of thinking. People would be humbler and more open minded.

Lousy stupid science stealing my miracles!

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Okami » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:42 am

The impressions theory is quite interesting. If my original thoughts were not to stand, that would probably be my second thought....because the apparition I have seen was very much so there, and seen by more than just myself. It's possible, I'll give it that.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I usually just apply the impressions idea to any case where the ghost doesn't directly interact with anyone, and if something else like infrasound or CO poisoning couldn't be determined as the culprit (now that I've heard of those), which between the 3 could probably eliminate almost all cases short of something like supposed poultergeist activity.

Second thought on the CO theory. Anyone ever notice a lot of reports are in places like basements or other enclosed spaces? That could explain some of those easily enough.

The infrasound is a really interesting thoguht too because that could explain many of the less solid 'wow a person' sightings on places like ships or in some of these large stone buildings, places that could easily hold (or generate) a standing wave of the appropriate frequency. It would be interesting to see how many rooms with reported ghost sitings are half the wave length of a sound between 17 and 19 hertz, like was mentioned in the article. (I seriously don't know how long that is <.<;;)

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:06 pm

It's interesting because one of the points of argument Christians use against non-believers is "Multiple people saw Jesus after He rose from the dead, which means it couldn't have been hallucinations caused by mind-altering substances!" But yet, we have claims that ghosts that multiple people see are caused by mind-altering substances?

Can't have it both ways, all I'm sayin'. Also not singling out anyone in this thread, 'cuz I don't think I've ever heard anyone here use that argument about Jesus. So it can't be about anyone here. I'm just saying that this pretty much means no Christian can ever use that argument in support of the resurrection.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby fermy6 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 pm

I dont mind blood and gore but this thread just gives me the creeps.......And yes I just felt like commenting;)
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby GeneD » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:29 am

I have never experienced a ghostly encounter, but I think I would be less freaked out about it than the fact that my eyeballs might be resonating. Seriously that's just weird.
I am generally sceptical towards claims of ghost activity etc. but there have been some good points in this thread and just because I've never seen it happen shouldn't automatically mean that it's impossible.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:41 am

It's hard to say if ghosts are real or not....

There's the famous passage in the Bible were the disciples spot Jesus on the water and believe him to be a ghost. He only replies he himself is not-not denying the fact they exist.

Personally, the best way I can explain a ghost is like that of a negative of a photograph: when extreme emotions or events are tied to a place, I believe the "negatives" of them can still be there.

When it comes to the elaborate cases of "ghostly encounters", it generally feels more sinister and connected with something "else".....if that makes a bit of sense. It is hard to say: I have always been very "sensitive" about such things and being able to feel and interpret them. When it comes down to it, there is no definite yes or no answer.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Personally, the best way I can explain a ghost is like that of a negative of a photograph: when extreme emotions or events are tied to a place, I believe the "negatives" of them can still be there.

Is that what is known as a 'psychic imprint'?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

^ I think so. And that's a good name for it. I could believe that happening, since we're all made of energy, and we can even tell when we have different levels of it.
Atria35

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 pm

I beleave in Oni's and Angles visiting us but not ghost
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Atria. Nice, I think we're on the same wave-length.

Yes, 'Angles' are the worst because they freak you out and then make you do Mathematics in your sleep.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TGJesusfreak » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I know from experience that they're demonic. It's kinda creepy O_o ... I wont go into it cause i know it might ugly. (no boring rant this tme XD)
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Yes, in some cases they would be. But not all experiences.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 am

TGJesusfreak (post: 1504002) wrote:I know from experience that they're demonic. It's kinda creepy O_o ... I wont go into it cause i know it might ugly. (no boring rant this tme XD)

See, my own personal experience was not demonic, so the thing about personal experience is that it gives you a very limited viewpoint.

I think what I experienced was one of those 'residual hauntings', as they call them, which are moments that are played back like a recording, because something really traumatic had happened and had left an imprint.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 am

TGJesusfreak wrote:I know from experience that they're demonic.

Your experience isn't universal and doesn't apply to all cases.

That's like me saying "I know from experience that McDonald's never cleans their bathrooms because I went into one in my town and the bathroom was dirty." Just because the one I went to had that problem doesn't mean every single one that exists does.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:49 pm

*reads up*

Some would call it an imprint, but it all goes back to personal opinion. The reason I used the photo negative comparison is just the best way I can describe my view of ghosts. It's hard to say anything on the matter, especially when you have experienced the odd encounters.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby ich1990 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 pm

I won't exclude the possibility of them existing (there are certain parts of the Bible that suggest they may), but I am skeptical.

It has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but infrasound may be a cause of many sightings. I imagine that "people making up stories to become rich/popular" also covers quite a few incidents. Lastly, the brain has significant capabilities for self-delusion, especially under high stress. I wouldn't doubt that some times it really is "all in your head". If you don't think that is possible, just look at what happens to drug addicts whose addiction messes with the chemical balance of the brain.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that I don't see any reason to believe they exist and/or interact with the world.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous

Return to General