Highschool~

Talk about anything in here.

Highschool~

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

So I'm starting highschool this year!... But I'm not gonna be homeschooled anymore. :P I'm going to traditional school.

And after four years of being homeschooled, I forgot what it's like to be in a public school... and this ain't elementary. Could some of ya'll tell me what highschool was like for you? Just so I can know what I'll probably have to look forward to.....
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:41 pm

It's different on each school. For instance, mine had about 3000 students and was all one floor, with a gigantic floorplan and an invasion of geese that attacked the students each year. We were really too big for 'cliques', and although there were some groups that did tend to stick together it was easy to make friends from all sort of social circles- I had a large group that was made of a girl from the trendy/popular group, another from the smart/scholarship/4.0 GPA group, another that was into sports.... Yeah. As long as I was open to meeting people and being friendly, I made a ton of friends, and it was a great experience for me.
Atria35

Postby Masquerade1412 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Atria35 wrote:It's different on each school.

My school is small. Like "Less than 500 people" small. Not a whole lot goes on, but if something DOES happen, word gets around very quickly.

But like Atria said! It really depends on the school.

But in my opinion, it also depends on how you view it!
If you think you will have a terrible time and you won't make any friends, then that is what will happen!
All you have to do is go and have fun! Sit next to people at lunch! Introduce yourself to everyone, even if they don't seem interested! Get involved with the clubs! Find someone you know and see who they associate themselves with!
But always remember...Keep a smile on your face!:grin::):grin::):grin::):grin::):grin:
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Nall » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I went to High School after a couple years home schooling. I was pretty scared my first couple days, and didn't know where to go. If you go to a big school though, you can always ask where to find a certain classroom, and what not, and you'll eventually get used to it. You'll find people to talk to, and make good friends I'm sure. I got along pretty well with the teachers at my school. Some were pretty helpful, and nice. A lot were pretty easy going too. I didn't make very good friends though. 2 that I made were the kind who complained nonstop about what kind of person I was, and how I acted, how bad of a friend I was, and what not, and put me down a lot too. After I got my driver's license they pretty much took advantage of me then. I almost dropped them one day but then they were like "wait, we're sorry, please don't go." Those are the kind of people I'd avoid even if they seem nice. Other than that it wasn't a bad 4 years. They go by quick too.
にゃ~
Nall

Postby junomoule » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:47 pm

How very brave of you!

Frightening, foolish, fantastic, fun... new experiences are usually a hodgepodge of everything. Walking into high school for the first time is no different, not to mention awkward as all get out. Fortunately it's awkward for everyone else too, even if they have a real hard time admitting it.

Your education and experiences are exactly what you make of 'em- public, private, or home schooled. If you put faith into your first steps and dare to make the best out of what you've got, you're sure to have some wonderful times along the way and be able to laugh off the bad ones.

Like a good story, how it's told and how you look at things happens to be just as important as the events that play out. Things don't generally turn out like they do in the movies, but they can be better. Best of all, it will be your own unique story.

Never attended a public high school, so not sure how much of a help excerpts from my story would be. Had a tiny graduating class of 24, and a small school like a small town breeds familiarity and sometimes contempt- the sense of community was exceptionally powerful. Got to experience all sorts of things, highs and lows in unexpected places. Corralling the "nerd herd", making a suspension bridge out of lunch meat, and 100 hours of community service are just the tip of the iceberg.

Special request for you, if you choose to accept it- if you see someone who is struggling to make friends or being bullied because he/she doesn't have many friends or because they are shy or not as pretty or not dressed in the most "in" clothes- please step up. Say hi or at least smile at them in the hallway. You never know what that person might be facing outside of school.

Your kindness might just make a big difference in someone's life!
[color="#DE979B"]j u n o m o u l e[/color]
[size="1"]manifesto - the city harmonic
[color="#D3A2A6"]"life is like a moustache it can be wonderful or terrible but it always tickles"
!random messages welcome![/color][/size]
junomoule

Postby Xeno » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

High school was kinda meh for me as far as I can remember. I was a band geek, and thusly spent most of my time with other kid in the band. I spent grades 9-11 in Alabama, where 9th grade is actually still in Junior High. Things were pretty cliquish around those schools, but I never really let it bother me since I had my own group of friends. 12 grade I had to move to Kentucky to a school of about 400 students and I was a complete outcast. I just kinda floated around that last year until I graduated. I endured some ridiculous stuff that year (in fact there is a thread somewhere on this site about what I went through), but in the end it was whatever. Inevitably high school was a means to an end for me, as it was for most of my friends from Alabama that I'm still in touch with, which isn't but a handful of them anyway.
Xeno

Postby Furen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:05 am

Ehggg... I'm currently not having a great time with high school, but the classes are good, and the farther you get, the more choices you have.

My school is very heavy on groups, and I kinda don't fit perfect with any group...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 am

Dunno if this considered grave-digging or not, but today's the first day of school for me! Wish me luck~
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 am

Good luck and have fun!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 am

You might have better luck if you weren't awake at 5:30 in the morning on a school day y'know. :p

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Maybe she was up getting ready? My high school started at something like 7:30 AM. O.O

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Nate (post: 1502464) wrote:You might have better luck if you weren't awake at 5:30 in the morning on a school day y'know. :p

Well, that's why I woke up at 4:15 in the morning. :p

The bus is at the bus stop by 6:40 and I take a while to get ready, so...

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby Xeno » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I never got why high school started so early in the morning. Studies have shown that high school students learn better when school starts later.
Xeno

Postby TheMewster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Xeno (post: 1502501) wrote:I never got why high school started so early in the morning. Studies have shown that high school students learn better when school starts later.

Maybe so kids have to go to bed earlier? If they go to bed earlier and adult shows come on really late, then they can't know as much, if you know what I mean, keeping the school from having scandals and the students innocent? I dunno...
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Xeno » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:27 pm

TheMewster (post: 1502504) wrote:Maybe so kids have to go to bed earlier? If they go to bed earlier and adult shows come on really late, then they can't know as much, if you know what I mean, keeping the school from having scandals and the students innocent? I dunno...

What is this, I don't even....

I hardly think that is the reason why. It's not like most kids in high school go to bed at 8pm (I used to frequently be up until 1 or 2), and those "adult" shows start around that time.
Xeno

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Well, that's why I woke up at 4:15 in the morning. :p

The bus is at the bus stop by 6:40 and I take a while to get ready, so...

O_O wow I wish I had what it took to get up that early, I usually get up 15 minutes before I have to go >.>
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Our district started super early because we had to specially equip our buses for ice and snow, and therefore only had a limited amount in our district, so they had to start at different times to account for transportation. HS started at 7:00 or 7:30 (I don't remember which), Elementary schools all started around 8:10, and the Jr high started at 9:30 or 10.

This caused a few issues when we had snow roll in between 8 and noon, since half the kids were in school and half weren't, and the buses were all over the mountain.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:45 pm

TheMewster (post: 1502504) wrote:Maybe so kids have to go to bed earlier? If they go to bed earlier and adult shows come on really late, then they can't know as much, if you know what I mean, keeping the school from having scandals and the students innocent? I dunno...

I'm going to echo what Xeno said- adult promgramming doesn't start until around midnight. It's also been proven that teenagers learn better when school starts later.

And besides, if parents didn't want their kids watching stuff, then they could be parents and do what parents are supposed to do- turn the tv off.
Atria35

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:02 pm

High school, for me.... Is busy. Lots of stuff going on, all the time. (Some of my teachers have the joke that I should just pitch a tent in the library, I'm there working so much.)

The days are long.

But it's rewarding.

And I graduate this year. :D
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:20 am

Xeno (post: 1502501) wrote:I never got why high school started so early in the morning. Studies have shown that high school students learn better when school starts later.

Agreed - being not-sleep-deprived actually helps learning.
My school started at 8:25. I though having to be on the bus at 7:30-7:40 was bad enough.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby DrWhoof » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:14 am

I graduated in 2009.
It was alright and I learned tons of important lessons; I honestly regret a lot of it though.
DrWhoof

Postby armeck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:38 pm

i drive to school. i leave around 8ish, i try to get up at 6:30 but often don't until 7. i usually work harder in the morning, by afternoon i am more awake and get distracted more
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I love school. C= The homework is something I'm not used to, though. Meh. Whatever. The days actually seem short me.

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby KougaHane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Well for me... Gotta be honest, high school SUCKED.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Return to General