Eating At Anime Cons

Talk about anything in here.

Eating At Anime Cons

Postby ashfire » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Some anime cons post or print in their con booklets that attendees should eat at least two good meals during the time they are attending to keep up their energy during the con.
I usually eat a breakfast say in the hotel where I am staying and then eat dinner say Subway or convention center eatery as long as its something that will meet the need for the medication I have to take.
I will take backup snacks and drinks that I keep in the room in case I don't get to eat a regular meal.
Now I stand 5'8" and weigh 160 to 165 lb.
My friend I attend one con with stands 5'8" and weighs close to 200 lbs.
The most I have ever seen him eat or drink at a con is a large bag of M&Ms and a 12 pack of Diet Pepsis warm. He will drink a Pepsi gobble M&Ms when he wakes up pack a few in his backpack. When he returns to the room drinks two Pepsis and gobbles M&Ms before bed.
Another friend at another con will bring V8 and fruit drinks and energy bars. Some hotels we stayed in only served breakfast and meals were either from fast food, restuarants carryouts, convention center eatry or provided by con staff for staff volunteers.
This friend is 5 foot and maybe weighs around 130lb.
I worry about the other friend because I know they eat better than that at home than at a con I would hope.
ashfire

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:27 pm

And you're asking..... what, exactly?

Yes, it's important to eat while at a con because the days can be long and people can pass out because they aren't eating right.

But it's up to the individual when and how they eat. It's normal for hotels to only serve breakfast- I have NEVER stayed in one that offered anything else. In fact, some hotels I've been in haven't even had that.
Atria35

Postby ashfire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:15 am

I have stayed in some hotels that do offer a good restaurant that will be open the rest of the day for breakfast, lunch and dinner and offer room service and some have offered con prices to attendees so that they can afford to buy during the con, but some will only offer breakfast which maybe just cereal, pastries, fruit, hard boiled eggs and maybe pancakes or walffles which you have to do yourself.
But I guess I am trying to say that my one friend is just getting by on time with his weight and the diet I have seen them consume.
This person is hard to get through too on their mind set. They are very knowledgeable about anime, manga and computers but when you talk to them about other things in the World they tend to shut out everything you say and stare. I have walked up to them and said something to them and they would walk off until I to shout at them to get their attention.
But eating at a con is very important and what you eat and drink is also important for nourishment and health of your body.
Since I have to take medication I have to eat correctly to work with what I have to take.
I have seen some people who will come to events at a con drunk so you have to wonder what did they do all day before they came.
Being part of a con volunteer group we have had to deal with people in this condition and had to bring in police and ambulance services to remove them.
There have been people we have seen or had to attend to because they didn't eat or drink to keep themselves up for the conditions of the con.
ashfire

Postby USSRGirl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 am

Only eating a bag of M&M's while traveling/at a con is highly abnormal and in three days time your friend will die. Sorry. My sympathies.
USSRGirl

Postby ashfire » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:33 pm

USSRGirl (post: 1501252) wrote:Only eating a bag of M&M's while traveling/at a con is highly abnormal and in three days time your friend will die. Sorry. My sympathies.

Yes! I sometimes wonder why they don't have health issues because of their size and weight.
I would like to know how others deal with having to eat while at a con? I know money is a issue for some that do attend. They want to buy items in the dealers room and pay for the hotel stay plus any parking unless its part of the hotel stay.
I would guess some will bring meals that can be cooked in a micro wave that hotels rooms have.
ashfire

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:53 pm

ashfire (post: 1501351) wrote:Yes! I sometimes wonder why they don't have health issues because of their size and weight.
I would like to know how others deal with having to eat while at a con? I know money is a issue for some that do attend. They want to buy items in the dealers room and pay for the hotel stay plus any parking unless its part of the hotel stay.
I would guess some will bring meals that can be cooked in a micro wave that hotels rooms have.

I think bob was being sarcastic.

I brown-bagged all my meals, personally- bought individual cartons of OJ, made pb&J sandwiches and cheese sandwiches, made carrot sticks, brought some fruit like bananas and apples, and was good to go. And it was infinitely cheaper than buying food at the con, and I didn't have to worry about doing it so unhealthily.
Atria35

Postby bakura91 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Oh dear... Con food Lol It seems Year after year I'll always get the ultra fattening nachos. Oh well only comes once a year!
bakura91

Postby Xeno » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 am

Ultimately I think it's based on metabolism. I know a con can take more out of a person that what I do for a living ever day (I sit at a desk for 8 hours and tell police where to go), but while I'm awake I might eat only once or twice. The meals I eat might be large or they might be small. There have been days when the most I ate was a burrito from Taco Bell, though I do consume a lot of liquids. Back when I went to conventions I wouldn't normally eat at the con, I'd go back to my friends house (since she lived in the city) and we'd just eat there. The food was more filling, healthier, and cost effective.

Either way, what people eat at cons is their choice. Make the decision that best fits your own personal needs and stick with that. Since he clearly doesn't need to eat real meals then I wouldn't worry about it too much, even if a couple large bags of M&M's and 3 Pepsi's a day is grossly unhealthy.
Xeno

Postby Nekomimi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 am

Yeah, cons take more energy out of me, so I'm not too worried when going on fast food runs or 7-Eleven jaunts. That, and snacks - sugar keeps me going enough until I absolutely must have my Real Food! Heaven help the poor con-goer standing between me & a plate lunch when I'm starving for Real Food XD
Nekomimi

Hmm...

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 am

While at an Animefest viewing room (Spice & Wolf: Season 2) a young lady sitting 2 rows back of me passed out because she hadn't eaten either all day, or for the first 2 days of the con. I think she said to the paramedics that she didn't have enough for meals as she spent a lot at the dealer's room, and on the hotel room.

Heck even I spent over $100+ on a single room for me and 2 friends for one night. So yes, it is always recommended to pack enough food in a cooler for at least 2 days (hotels have ice machines if needed), and have enough $$ for a few meals later on if you plan on staying at an event that lasts at least 2-3 days.
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share your name
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby seaglass27 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:42 am

While I was at a three-day event (not an anime con) I didn't really feel hungry the entire time. I basically just ate an orange or maybe a sandwich a day. Some people are quite capable of simply being energized by the atmosphere of a place.

I was ravenous after the event of course. :sweat:
seaglass27

Return to General