Fair Trade

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, to push this thread back on topic, I'm having a really hard time figuring out which brands (if any) are fair trade in Japan. There just isn't an awareness of the issue here. :/ I have a sinking feeling that it's going to be next to impossible to buy fair trade goods here in Japan. Even a lot of goods sold on the internet will not have the option of shipping to Japan.

If anybody finds any links or anything that'll list fair trade brands in Japan, that'd be great.

Yes, I will feel better if I buy fair trade. I want to have a clear conscience about the way I spend money. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a clear conscience. That doesn't mean it's the only thing I'm going to do to help.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Have you thought about trying to buy locally produced then? It's not the same, but it keeps your support to people in Japan or even better if you can get REALLY local, people you might actually meet. This is easier for food than other things obviously. *shrugs*

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Yeah, I have. Locally produced food is actually easy to find, since Japanese food producers tend to pride themselves on using all authentic ingredients. So in terms of Japanese food, it's not a problem. But in terms of electronics, chocolate, shoes, coffee, and clothing, same problem as everywhere else.
Yuki-Anne

Postby TheMewster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:15 pm

For electronics, buy used. That way it's cheaper and the money doesn't go to the companies. Same for clothing and shoes if at all possible. For coffee and chocolate maybe try limiting your intake so you don't spend as much? God bless and I'm so glad you're safe!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:32 am

I was hoping not to post in this thread, since I don't want to waltz in and pretend to be an expert. But for my work I am involved in issues related to this, so I hope my perspective is helpful.

In general, I think we need to approach this issue with more humility. We're not beating children by buying normal products and we're definitely not saving the world with free trade. Sure, all of us are involved in negative systems, but that's completely unavoidable and I don't think it's helpful to talk about this in terms of blame. This thread is an example of that: people who were trying to do what they could became alienated when their choices were condemned.

ich1990 wrote:On a related note, does anyone have any links to statistics on this stuff? How much does it actually help fight injustice to pursue Fair Trade purchases? I can't find much of anything through a simple google search.

I do not know of any such statistics and I would be suspicious of any I found. In general, fair trade affects this kind of injustice only very indirectly. I think the connections to sweatshops are made primarily because it is an easier emotional appeal.

Fair trade's actual benefits are more basic. I'll use a real example. In many regions of Columbia, farmers are paid so little for their coffee beans that they cannot support themselves, and these prices are kept down due to company monopoly in the region. A fair trade company enters the region and offers to buy their coffee beans for a price closer to a living wage. Usually they can only afford to buy a limited number, but if that coffee sells, they can expand operations. Working conditions remain difficult and the region is still poor, but some farmers are getting a fairer deal and are better able to support themselves.

Buying fair trade coffee isn't going to change the world, but if you picked a reputable company, you are helping someone. There are a few examples where it helps improve overall systems. For example, close to half of all bananas sold in Switzerland are fair trade and larger companies have been forced to slightly increase prices to compete. The places where Switzerland gets its bananas have an increased standard of living now.

You may also be interested to know that some fair trade companies have microcredit as a part of their business model. For example, giving farmers loans so that they can improve production or gain alternative sources of income. Fair trade has become a bit of buzzword among people who care more about appearing socially conscious than helping anyone, but there are some companies with very reasonable practices.

Note that this was all about farming. That's because food is the area where fair trade has been shown to work best. In terms of products produced unethically like shoes, the connection is less clear and the effects become more complicated. At best, you're helping some company that treats people decently hire more workers and displacing injustice elsewhere.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:35 pm

TheMewster (post: 1486674) wrote:OK thanks! Anyway I got a warning in 1 thread so I was afraid I had a strike! And you're saying that you do it over PM not just the forum righ?

Correct. When a moderator hands out a strike to a user, it's communicated over PM and communicated to the other moderators. It's neither fair nor advisable to handle things "quietly" or whatever. If someone receives a strike, it will be communicated in no uncertain terms.
Mithrandir

Postby yukoxholic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1486698) wrote:Well, to push this thread back on topic, I'm having a really hard time figuring out which brands (if any) are fair trade in Japan. There just isn't an awareness of the issue here. :/ I have a sinking feeling that it's going to be next to impossible to buy fair trade goods here in Japan. Even a lot of goods sold on the internet will not have the option of shipping to Japan.

If anybody finds any links or anything that'll list fair trade brands in Japan, that'd be great.

Yes, I will feel better if I buy fair trade. I want to have a clear conscience about the way I spend money. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a clear conscience. That doesn't mean it's the only thing I'm going to do to help.

TBS Japan, all of their beauty products are fair trade.

The Body Shop is the only place I will buy for beauty products. ^_^
yukoxholic

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Good to know! Thanks. ^_^
Yuki-Anne

Postby TheMewster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:19 am

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/

This is what I found for the non-Japanese speaking users. :D

God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~