To all the guys of CAA

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Kerusso » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

acgifford (post: 1470098) wrote:I love all the manly men of CAA!! You guys are awesome and cool and great and i love you all!!! *hugs all the guys of CAA*

And yes Krill....real men do shave with chainsaws. *whispers* Though the cuts you get from that shave may be a little worse than if you used a razor. ]

Shaving with chainsaws? That's...awesome.

Yamamaya (post: 1470301) wrote:Mr Rogers is the true manly man. He once defeated Chuck Norris in personal combat. Because he was friends with Chuck Norris, he pledged never to tell anyone about this battle so as to preserve Chuck's reputation. Mr. Rogers then went on to become the child program host we all know and love.

Chuck Norris cried many manly tears when Mr. Rogers died.

In defense of that statement, I heard Mr. Roger used to be a sniper in the Marines, and wore those sweaters to hide his tattoos.
Heaven is only Heaven because God is in it.

[color="YellowGreen"][/color]There's only one good thing about Mary Sues... they don't exist in real life.

Forcing religion, or any ideology for that matter, down someone's throat, is not that different from doing the same with a physical object: it's an unpleasant experience to the recipient, who will likely dislike you for it afterwards.
Kerusso

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Kerusso, if you're looking to quote multiple people a helpful thread can be found here http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=582.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Mon May 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Kerusso wrote:I heard Mr. Roger used to be a sniper in the Marines, and wore those sweaters to hide his tattoos.

This is a pretty persistent urban legend, but it's completely false.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp
Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military — he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore too old to have enlisted in the armed services by the time of America's military involvement in Vietnam.

As noted above, Fred Rogers never served in the military, and he bore no tattoos on his arms (or any other part of his body). He wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to maintain an air of formality — although he was friendly with the children in his viewing audience and talked to them on their own level, he was most definitely an authority figure on a par with parents and teachers (he was Mister Rogers to them, after all, not Fred), and his choice of dress was intended to establish and foster that relationship.

So while Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister, he did not/could not have served in the military, and had no tattoos. But yeah, this urban legend does seem to be pretty popular, and I even bought into it for a time, so don't feel bad about it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:19 am

Nate (post: 1479461) wrote:This is a pretty persistent urban legend, but it's completely false.

And even so, Mr. Rogers is still a manlier man than all of us here combined. He is the epitome of true manliness, quietly possessing a formidable strength of character and using it for the betterment of humanity. That, my friends, is manlier than punching people really hard a lot, creating a galaxy-sized robot made out of skulls with how awesome you are, or traveling through time with pirates who ride burning sharks and have guns that shoot laser swords. This is the very core, the incandescant essence of what it means to be a man. Anything less is insufficiently manly.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Nate » Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 am

I agree completely. As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Rogers being a sniper would only have lessened his awesomeness. He was a truly great man...probably the epitome of manliness as far as I'm concerned.

Also, fun fact I learned after reading Wikipedia: not only did Mr. Rogers never serve in the Vietnam War (or any war, as he was never in the military), he actually gave a speech to the Senate, speaking in support of government funding for children's television rather than the Vietnam War. The speech is apparently pretty famous, and can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

Nate

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue May 17, 2011 4:21 am

Mr Rogers is nothing compared to R. Lee Ermey. A person who also has a pretty famous speech, but I think if I posted that here I would be deemed too manly for CAA and consequently banned.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Nate » Tue May 17, 2011 11:12 am

I don't think R. Lee Ermey would have won the 20 million dollars for children's television like Mr. Rogers did. I also doubt I would tear up during his speech like I did with the Mr. Rogers speech. :p

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue May 17, 2011 11:17 am

Men these days got nothing on Mr. Rogers.

I've seen that speech before; it was indeed quite moving. I wish they'd show reruns of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, or release it on DVD. I want to show it to my future kids.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nekomimi » Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 pm

And Bruce Lee. Can't have a Man Thread w/o Bruce Lee!
Nekomimi

Postby broly146 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:14 am

this guy here (the thumbnail pic) is full of manliness
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Nate » Thu May 19, 2011 10:29 am

>see Broly's post
>click thumbnail
>browser freezes, suddenly download screen opens
>NOPE.avi

Nate

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu May 19, 2011 10:53 am

Nate (post: 1479523) wrote:I don't think R. Lee Ermey would have won the 20 million dollars for children's television like Mr. Rogers did. I also doubt I would tear up during his speech like I did with the Mr. Rogers speech. :p

I don't think he would ever earn that much money in one go. Then again, I've seen R Lee Ermey in charities before. Some for children as well. The guy was also a bit more emotional than I suspected, and has always stayed close to his troops which does take quite a bit of time. I think in neither cases character is a point to attack.

But as far as manliness is concerned? I doubt Mr Rogers has ever fired a Dillon Aero Mini-Gun in a way that would make Duke Nukem proud. Nor do I think MrRogers could be the most awesome sergeant of all time, nor re-invent insults in the most manly fashion of all time.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Nate » Thu May 19, 2011 11:06 am

Jaden Mental wrote:I doubt Mr Rogers has ever fired a Dillon Aero Mini-Gun in a way that would make Duke Nukem proud.

Mr. Rogers is so manly, he probably never fired a gun in his entire life. He never needed to.
Nor do I think MrRogers could be the most awesome sergeant of all time

You're probably right about that. As manly as Mr. Rogers is, he wouldn't be able to instill the discipline needed for soldiers in war. Thus proving war is totally unmanly.
nor re-invent insults in the most manly fashion of all time.

Mr. Rogers is so manly, he would never insult another human being. That makes him the ultimate in manliness.

Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:25 am

Jaden Mental (post: 1480018) wrote:But as far as manliness is concerned? I doubt Mr Rogers has ever fired a Dillon Aero Mini-Gun in a way that would make Duke Nukem proud. Nor do I think MrRogers could be the most awesome sergeant of all time, nor re-invent insults in the most manly fashion of all time.

"[T]o win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Sun Tzu, now there was a manly man among men. He invented fighting, then perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Forcing your opponents to give up before they actually fight you because they're already that scared of you? That is supremely manly, better than any incredible battle you could come up with.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

Mr. Rogers is so manly, he probably never fired a gun in his entire life. He never needed to.

He was so afraid of being associated with guns he sued others in a related merchandising case. He was not apathetic to the idea of harming others through financial means. It's not quite as manly as putting them in their place with a verbal barrage that will utterly destroy their confidence, but it is a step towards it. Or even better, as destroying them financially hurts them a lot more!

You're probably right about that. As manly as Mr. Rogers is, he wouldn't be able to instill the discipline needed for soldiers in war. Thus proving war is totally unmanly.

Well, lawsuits instills fear I suspect regardless of who is behind. Fear often leads to discipline. Perhaps if he sued all the soldiers they would eventually become the bravest men since Charlemagne's paladins? It's an interesting thought.

Mr. Rogers is so manly, he would never insult another human being. That makes him the ultimate in manliness.

Closest thing I could find was him referring to 'sick humor' in his lawsuit. *Satire like that might have been a big thing then when it related to his t-shirt.* Sadly, not on par with Lee's verbal barrage.

With that picture, I heard a thousand of his insults. It was beautiful and manly.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1480024) wrote:"[T]o win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Sun Tzu, now there was a manly man among men. He invented fighting, then perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Forcing your opponents to give up before they actually fight you because they're already that scared of you? That is supremely manly, better than any incredible battle you could come up with.

Sun Tzu firstly never invented fighting. He made his set of codes and a lot of them happened to make sense. Not the one you mentioned, as not all enemies are defensively oriented and will be looking to attack you before you could even make the argument diplomatically. The ring of honor and the ring of war are also two very separate things, for sacrificing honor for practical success, albeit a vice, has often brought victory. *Ala Genghis Khan*

Secondly, very few opponents just 'give up' before a battle. It's not like they are going to spontaneously combust just because they might see themselves as the underdog. 'Bullying' diplomacy can only be conducted for so long. Anything other than that is the peace through strength tactics. It also hardens them and makes them pick up on advancing their military designs, in a way. You might be the one giving them time you cannot afford.

Thirdly, his own military career is not exactly on par with many of the historical greats. Nor was it ever really on a road of conquest for that matter. While I enjoy his theoretical works, I doubt he would survive on equal terms with the practical historical greats. Much of his theories are on the diplomatic, military structure and overall war mentality that has never really changed. It is not as if he invented the elastic defense or modern doctrines of war.

Jingo Jaden

Previous

Return to General