Lent penance

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Atria35 (post: 1469776) wrote:But from a nutritional standpoint, they would be suffering from vitamin and mineral deficiencies. There's no way they'd get all the nutrients that they needed from that diet- again, something that's very unhealthy and could potentially cause death.

It would have provided the calories they needed to keep their bodies from eating themselves.

I would still not recommend ever doing that.

This. It's one thing to observe Lent. It's another thing to make yourself ill.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nanao » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Atria35 (post: 1469776) wrote:But from a nutritional standpoint, they would be suffering from vitamin and mineral deficiencies. There's no way they'd get all the nutrients that they needed from that diet- again, something that's very unhealthy and could potentially cause death.

It would have provided the calories they needed to keep their bodies from eating themselves.

I would still not recommend ever doing that.

I have to agree with this. The point of fasting/Lent (as far as I understand it), is to refocus on God. Extreme fasting or making yourself sick really seems to defeat the purpose, to me anyhow.

While I've participated in Lent before, I haven't for several years now. Physically, fasting is not an option for me, so I ended up giving up other things. In the past I've tried to give up something that I find gets between me and what I know I should be doing. Sometimes that was TV, sometimes it was internet. Ultimately though, I found it really didn't do anything for me spiritually.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 pm

I practice Lent, although I'm not Catholic. I gave up soda and ice cream.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Nanao wrote:I have to agree with this. The point of fasting/Lent (as far as I understand it), is to refocus on God. Extreme fasting or making yourself sick really seems to defeat the purpose, to me anyhow.

Well said, it is in fact the reason to do fasting/lent. But no one should take it to extremes and the fasting has been ruled as a, if you want to do it and not a have to do it. For people that are sick/non healthly people and old people don't have to pretake in fasting that Chruches do fasting because of nutritional standpoint.

When it comes to fasting/lent, they mostly want you give up something that you do or use every day and it doesn't have to be food but something else.

As far as I know, that it was the Catholic church that does that fasting for lent and that is only for Ash Wedesday and Fridays up until Easter and only for healthly people within the chruch to pretake in that as well as give up something else for lent.

Now a days, the church has just ask members to give up something that use or enjoy every day from Ash Wedesday to Easter.
Roy Mustang

Previous

Return to General