CBN removed all trace of Superbook episodes on youtube...

Talk about anything in here.

CBN removed all trace of Superbook episodes on youtube...

Postby JerRocks2day » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:31 pm

For those who didn't know this, a week or 2 ago, CBN has been removing all episodes of the original Superbook off youtube; they even went to the extreme of banning users who uploaded them. :(

I can understand the potential copyright issues on youtube, but it seems really absurd for a 'Christian' network to stoop to the level of banning youtube users for uploading their vids, especially if their bible stories.

I guess we should be lucky that they didn't remove any episodes of Flying House (I watched an episode this morning).
JerRocks2day

Postby Nate » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:40 pm

The people uploading them were breaking the law. CBN is not allowing people to break the law. That sounds like something a Christian network would do to me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby JerRocks2day » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm

In my opinion, it really depends; Benny Hinn did the same thing years over a video that exposed him. He felt 'violated'--the loony.

Another factor (though kinda unrelated to what we're posting) why CBN is absurd is because they're charging too much money for the new CGI Superbook [25 bucks for one episode and 50 for two episodes].
JerRocks2day

Postby Nate » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:47 pm

It doesn't depend. People were uploading videos that they did not hold the copyright to. That's clear violation of copyright law, as well as Youtube policy. CBN is clearly in the right.

Now does it suck? Yeah. I remember watching anime on Youtube and was upset when the videos got removed for copyright infringement. But hey, it's against Youtube policy and against the law.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Copyright law just plain sucks, if you ask me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 pm

I agree, it totally sucks. I don't agree with it at all. All I'm saying is that under copyright law, CBN has every right to do this. I don't think they SHOULD have the right to do this, but that's just how it is.

Nate

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:59 pm

If it's a whole episode, then I do kind of think it's wrong to upload. I'll admit, I just watched a movie not to long ago for free on YouTube that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, but I felt a bit guilty because I knew it was more then likley illgeally uploaded. AMV's are different I think, because they are in least not a whole episode/series, or sometimes just slideshows of fan-art, but that still all goes against copyright I guess. I get so confused.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:04 pm

The thing with series like Superbook, though, is that they're not really avail--

You know what, I probably should stop talking about this.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby JerRocks2day » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm

It's kinda ironic to say SB is no longer 'available' on youtube, yet Flying House managed to get away with it.

*rolleyes*
JerRocks2day

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:37 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1465090) wrote:If it's a whole episode, then I do kind of think it's wrong to upload. I'll admit, I just watched a movie not to long ago for free on YouTube that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, but I felt a bit guilty because I knew it was more then likley illgeally uploaded. AMV's are different I think, because they are in least not a whole episode/series, or sometimes just slideshows of fan-art, but that still all goes against copyright I guess. I get so confused.

I remember watching Cannibal Holocaust for the first time on YouTube I think lol
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1465116) wrote:I remember watching Cannibal Holocaust for the first time on YouTube I think lol

What a lovely sounding movie. 0.o The movie I watched was just a German animated film about cats solving a murder. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1465077) wrote:Copyright law just plain sucks, if you ask me.

it all depends on what's being copyrighted
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:44 pm

We can always copyright sucking
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby armeck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1465136) wrote:We can always copyright sucking

this.
armeck

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:23 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Copyright law just plain sucks, if you ask me.

Where they are a pain, I'm glad that they are in place. After all it is the copyright law that keeps my photography or people's art work from being used without their permission or getting permission to use it and they have to pay the person that did the work.
Roy Mustang

Postby byrocat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Essentially, opyright law is to protect the work of authors, and the rules are pretty well defined on that basis.

To answer the people who ask, I pose the counter question: do you do your job for free? Do you tell your boss not to cut you a paycheck for the week's work?

In the anime arena, the original producers (the Japanese copyright holders) don't seem to mind that much, even with the fansubs and such. I think that they see this as a means of generating more business as well as finding talent.

It's the US-based copyright licensees (the ones licensed by the Japanese companies for broadcast rights) that are doing the chasing after the torrents and YouTube, protecting thieir profit base.

So far, I haven't seen or heard anything from the Japanese or US-based companies on <modsnip>, which seems to be the world's largest collection of on-line anime.

The interesting bit that I've seen recently is that the US-based licenses are now showing some of the episodes on their websites as freebies. Sad to say, there's a line where it's pay-and-play for more recent episodes.

<modnote: Please do not mention sites hosting or linking to illegally copied anime.>
byrocat

Postby armeck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1465146) wrote:Where they are a pain, I'm glad that they are in place. After all it is the copyright law that keeps my photography or people's art work from being used without their permission or getting permission to use it and they have to pay the person that did the work.

yeah, or imagine if every time you bought a product you didn't know if you were actually getting what you bought
armeck

Return to General