Life without the internet...

Talk about anything in here.

Life without the internet...

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:26 am

My internet connection has been acting up since around a month ago.

When I left my modem router off for a while and turned it back on though, it worked again.

However, as of around three days ago, it no longer worked even if I did this. It could not get the signal at all (I use ADSL).

I have become so dependent on the Internet that I really feel something is missing if I don't have net access.

I spent some time reflecting on why I felt this way, because I have gone for days without prayer and Bible reading, and yet don't feel like something is "missing". I asked myself "Shouldn't I value God much higher than my ability to get online?".

Whilst it's true that I actually need the internet (I am sometimes on-call after work, and I also coordinate some church activities via email on a weekly basis), I don't feel it justifies my placing the internet on a higher priority over God.

Having worked out that my modem router was busted (had it for three years, so probably just broke down), I bought a new one today and everything is fine again.

But in the context of what to do as a result of what I've learned (spiritually), I don't know where to go from here. I could spend more time praying and reading the Bible, but what I really need is the inward kind of desire for it. And that's something I don't really seem to have.

Have you any advice for me?
Sammy Boy

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:27 am

"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby shooraijin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:19 am

I don't think there's a lesson here other than, "I use the Internet a lot and I miss it when it's gone."

We all could certainly spend more time in the Word, but I actually think that question is wholly separate.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to General