Are electronics male or female or...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 am

I call my mom's SUV Greenie. 'Cause she's green. xD I'm a weirdo like that.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 am

I used to call my car The Banshee, but that was before I changed out the tires that made the high pitched noise on the freeway.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm

It's amazing how long this topic has lasted. We like Goof Off :)
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Lynna » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1453301) wrote:I wasn't aware that calling cords "male" and "female" was a weird thing. I mean it only makes sense.

By that logic, is a male-male cord a "gay" cord and a female-female cord a "lesbian" cord?

This is exactly what I meant by "weird things". It's creepy.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 pm

I never thought of electronics as male or female, but I do refer to them as "idiot machine", "useless piece of junk", and "stupid" sometimes.

The only time I can remember assigning a name to an inanimate object was when I jokingly dubbed one of my erasers "Ari". (You should get this, Nami. XD) My sister and I call my enormous eraser Max (short for Maximum, a female character's name), too, so I haven't assigned a gender to erasers. Just a name to two of them. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Wow, reading this thread I'm really glad I'm not the only one who mistreats their poor computer at times. :sweat:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nanao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:24 pm

funny i've never thought of my computers as being either exclusively male or female, but i think they've all been male. before i switched over to macs my PCs were all named for roman emperors. moody, arrogant, high maintenance, everything must be an epic fuss...

this computer is definitely male. in fact, his name is Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle. it really does suit him.
Nanao

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 pm

I've never viewed my electronics as any particular gender... XD Just machines.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Blacklight » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 pm

This is directed at the numbers subject.
I thought I was the only one who gave numbers biographies... But I only have 0 through 9...

(As for giving them names, this reminds me of getting a chicken on a Harvest Moon game and naming it Ed... even though it's a hen... but I only really realized it after I named her...)

On topic, what makes it their gender? I don't think my computer could have any electronic children, so I vote computers are genderless, as they can't reproduce. >.<
(That, or multi-gender...)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Furen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Blacklight (post: 1454547) wrote:On topic, what makes it their gender? I don't think my computer could have any electronic children, so I vote computers are genderless, as they can't reproduce. >.<
(That, or multi-gender...)

Some people can't reproduce... Plus computers often times are built from old computers with old parts people find.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Blacklight » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 pm

(Something I could say, but I'd rather not turn this into something it's not.)

Building something out of older pieces though, makes me think of either transplants, or Frankenstein...

I guess they're multi-gender? All walls are female?
This will never end. >.<

*Slowly backs away and hopes no one notices*
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Blacklight wrote:(Something I could say, but I'd rather not turn this into something it's not.)

I think he was just taking issue with "It's genderless because it cannot reproduce," which is obviously fallacious logic as there are people who cannot reproduce and they still have gender. :p

Don't make me post the Dinosaur Comic about gender again! I'LL DO IT!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Blacklight » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Yes... I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that... what I was referring to was what made the computer a certain gender, and what I'm saying doesn't seem to make any sense at all... >.< I should shut up now.

(And what I meant by 'turning it into something it's not' was just that; I didn't want to keep talking and end up saying something stupid... more stupid... than usual... and cause trouble. I can't predict what I might do.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 am

I know what you mean. Our first security alarm was a female (female electronic voice) and our second one is a male (male electronic voice). Learning french, I've associated gender to objects, so I the coputer (ordinateur) wold be male and stuff...
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:19 am

Nate (post: 1452961) wrote:Correct term is intersex/hermaphr...

...wow this thread got weird fast.

I couldn't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VePxbFQ-qfw

I guess you could use the gool ol-fashioned color theory to determine the gender...Since the front of mine is orange I would assume its male.

But what about the iMacs?...
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Color theory? I haven't heard that one before, but it doesn't matter, because it's subjective. Remember that long ago, pink used to represent baby boys and blue used to represent baby girls. In today's modern society, it's the opposite. Color is too subjective to determine gender. :p

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby KougaHane » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 pm

My car was "The Luminator," because it was a '96 Chevrolet Lumina that only worked due to a miracle. Then I got a new one. I like it, but driving just doesn't feel as epic anymore.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby MrKrillz0r » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Nate (post: 1452953) wrote:*looks at computer plug*

*notices it has prongs sticking out*

Yep it's a male.

Hhahahaahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhaha, made my day!

And yeah, I don't think my computer is either male or female. Judging by the sound I think its a jet plane.
MrKrillz0r

Postby Lynna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Nate (post: 1454646) wrote:Color theory? I haven't heard that one before, but it doesn't matter, because it's subjective. Remember that long ago, pink used to represent baby boys and blue used to represent baby girls. In today's modern society, it's the opposite. Color is too subjective to determine gender. :p

YES!! I try to tell this to people, but they don't believe me! They say "Impossible!! Pink has always been for girls"
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Lynna (post: 1454678) wrote:YES!! I try to tell this to people, but they don't believe me! They say "Impossible!! Pink has always been for girls"

That's when you tell them to talk to their grandparents. Pink=girls and blue=boys wasn't popular until the 50's- Disney acknowledged the culture shift in the pink/blue of Aurora's dress (Sleeping Beauty).
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Atria35 (post: 1454691) wrote:That's when you tell them to talk to their grandparents. Pink=girls and blue=boys wasn't popular until the 50's- Disney acknowledged the culture shift in the pink/blue of Aurora's dress (Sleeping Beauty).

I get a sense of deja vu reading this post... probably just me being weird, though. @_@

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 pm

^ No, no, I'm pretty sure I've said something very close to this in another thread. But it's something that bears repeating :3
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Okay. Good to know I'm not losing my mind. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Previous

Return to General