Twilight Saga

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Winry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:35 pm

I think one of the worst things about Twilight is now when I go to the bookstore there seems to be hundreds of books about vampires. Ugh. No more vampire books please!
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Blacklight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:27 pm

I think there's also a fallen angel craze now, but it could have been only one or two books.

Honestly, I used to like vampires, but after the outbreak, I lost interest. I wasn't interested in them because they were sparkly "romantic" pretty boys.

Not so crazy about the fallen angel thing either.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Furen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Out of curiosity, why do people find vampires so interesting? And this goes for both pro sparkly and to those that are pro not sparkly.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby samurai10 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 am

I'd just like to say one thing guys.

@Ich and Nate
This is starting to turn into a debate.....

Sparkly vampires are ridiculous. Any body who does not agree with me on that one is crazily insane. "Oh look, I'm a SPARKLY vampire!" :grin: *rolls eyes*

I think it just depends on how you think of vampires. People have differing opinions. As shown by you two.

Basics of vampire lore, (you can disagree but whatever) Vampires suck HUMAN blood, usually pale, though there are a couple of vampires that aren't, and evil through and through. It's kinda hard to act evil when you're sparkling.....

and @Ren
For me, I don't know about anybody else, but before this awful saga came out, i LOVED vampires. I read Dracula, and i loved it, how he was evil, and it gave me the shivers. I use to love vampires, because they were COOL! At least in my eyes.

Sparkly vampires are so not cool.

and last, @W4J
NO! I AM THE PERSON WHO ALMOST RAN OVER BELLA, AND I DID IT BECAUSE I HATE HER!!!:grin: THEREFORE, YOU CANNOT BE THE PERSON WHO DID THAT. BECAUSE I WAS THE ONE WHO DID IT!!! :grin:
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:40 am

Furen (post: 1442481) wrote:Out of curiosity, why do people find vampires so interesting? And this goes for both pro sparkly and to those that are pro not sparkly.

I didn't really love them until I read Dracula. And then they became awesome. They were powerful, mysterious, able to induce fear into an entire nation, but with some pretty awkward weaknesses. Basically, the same reasons people are facinated with serial killers, Hitler, Nero, and other powerful, evil people.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I liked it when I first read it, but started analyzing my literature about halfway into the series. I'll admit, I still think it's a fun story... but not necessarily a good one.

For one, I personally think it sets a pretty bad example for teen romance. When considering the three main characters, you'll find that none of them are very noble and leave a lot to be desired.

Bella's pretty whiny and can't do anything for herself. When Edward leaves in New Moon, she becomes immensely depressed and can't seem to get herself out of it. She has to rely on somebody else to feel happy at all. She even goes to the point of doing insane things that endanger her life just to hear Edward's voice say "no" in her head. This is pretty much the prime example of an unhealthy dependence on somebody else. I've seen dependence like this eventually tear apart friendships, because others tend to go ignored and/or get their feelings hurt when somebody else they care for has this type of unhealthy relationship with somebody else (romantic or otherwise). And in regards to the person in whom confides in New Moon...

Jacob's just a self-centered jerk. He pretty much forces Bella to kiss him, and does whatever he can to tear her apart from Edward. He's always making the most awkward come-ons, and it just gets annoying. But hey - at least he's willing to admit he's a jerk.

And Edward... Wow, where do I begin? Stalker to the max, if you ask me. I realize that he's trying to be protective of Bella, but when he gets to the point of monitoring every single place she goes and everybody she's with, then it just gets creepy. I do like the fact that he supports remaining abstinent until marriage... But if I found out that somebody was watching me from the tree by my window while I sleep, I would *not* find it romantic. I would find it outright disturbing...

...So, even though I still read Twilight and enjoy the story itself (especially to laugh at the overall awkwardness of it and think of what a great parody it makes), I can't recommend it to anybody who would want an example of good literature. I'm hoping it doesn't become a classic... I'll admit, it's fun literature. But it's not good literature.

P.S. And in addition to all these things listed here, one thing that bothers me about the actual picture of vampires that is presented - they were *never* meant to sparkle.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:33 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1442230) wrote:I can just keep linking the excerpts, or you could watch one of the blogs linked earlier where someone else reads twilight.

The whole point of reading it (or attempting it) myself would be to see it in its entirety, without a filter. So, no thanks.

If I ever decide to do it, it won't be for a while, anyway. I've been busy and have other stuff to read. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Winry » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:03 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1443118) wrote:And Edward... Wow, where do I begin? Stalker to the max, if you ask me. I realize that he's trying to be protective of Bella, but when he gets to the point of monitoring every single place she goes and everybody she's with, then it just gets creepy. I do like the fact that he supports remaining abstinent until marriage... But if I found out that somebody was watching me from the tree by my window while I sleep, I would *not* find it romantic. I would find it outright disturbing...

Super creeper status. Not to mention he is controlling, constantly tells her what to do, obsessive, and an arrogant jerk. I have a hard time with why Bella likes him so much, especially in the first book. :eyebrow:
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Winry

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Found this today, thought I would drop it here for you guys. XD

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:07 am

Winry (post: 1443395) wrote:Super creeper status. Not to mention he is controlling, constantly tells her what to do, obsessive, and an arrogant jerk. I have a hard time with why Bella likes him so much, especially in the first book. :eyebrow:

Well, in the first book, he seemed mostly okay to me... But I haven't read it in about three years so memory's a little sketchy. I do remember he consistently told her that he wasn't good for her for awhile (which is why he left in book 2), but I have to agree that Bella was very unwise to not understand that he really wasn't good for her. And, he does get pretty possessive and demanding of Bella later on in the story... So in the long run, he really isn't good for her. And she puts herself and several others in danger just for the sake of being in a romance with him, too!

To be totally honest, it seemed to me like she was just interested in him because of how handsome he was in book one. It seemed inevitable that they'd eventually become a couple, but they'd hardly even gotten to know each other at all by the time she admitted she was in love with him... All she really knew about him is that he's a gorgeous and secretive vampire, and goes on with about a half a million synonyms of "angelic" to say so every couple pages. Even the first time I read it, I couldn't help but think: "Does she really have to say that Edward's handsome that many times, and in that many different ways? I get it, he's gorgeous..."
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:50 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1443404) wrote:Image

:thumbsup::dance:
Another reason to love Hermione
Atria35

Postby KougaHane » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 am

I've never seen or read twilight. I make jokes about it though. All in good fun, of course. I tend to make fun of anything with excessive popularity.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Sparx00 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 am

What I would do to Edward:

I would drive wooden stakes into both of his eyes, shove whole cloves of garlic up his nose, and drag him to my church where I would then give him a swirly for being a disgrace to vampires. (Regular vampires are bad enough but sissy vampires just terrible.)

What I'd do to Jacob:

I'd pound Jacob's face in with a pair of silver gauntlets for not being a proper werewolf, force him to eat wolfsbain, then trap him in a silver mine. which I would then collapse with a remote detonator.

Then I'd hire that one guy who almost ran over Bella to actually run over Bella because she couldn't decide which evil monster she wanted to be with for the rest of her life.

In other words, I greatly dislike the series.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:45 am

I think Sparx00's issues kinda outweigh Twilight's...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Winry » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:36 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1443404) wrote:Found this today, thought I would drop it here for you guys. XD

This is great! *thumbs up*

Winry

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Winry (post: 1442380) wrote:I think one of the worst things about Twilight is now when I go to the bookstore there seems to be hundreds of books about vampires. Ugh. No more vampire books please!
Quoted For Truth
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Blacklight » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm

I only read the book once, a while back, so my memory might be failing me, but didn't "the guy who almost ran over Bella" try, persistently, to take her to prom after almost running her down?
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes, he did. A quick wiki search reveals that he seems to have had good intentions at first, he was trying to apologize for the running over with a car incident. Though it speaks to his ego that he would think "I'll take you to the prom" is a good apology for almost killing her. But any good intentions he may have had are destroyed when he just decides to tell everyone that he's going to prom with her despite her not agreeing to it, and then showing up at her house to pick her up.

So yeah. Kind of a jerk.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Geez, there really are no redeeming qualities at all about Twilight, huh?

Also...

Shao Feng-Li

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Nate (post: 1443628) wrote:Yes, he did. A quick wiki search reveals that he seems to have had good intentions at first, he was trying to apologize for the running over with a car incident. Though it speaks to his ego that he would think "I'll take you to the prom" is a good apology for almost killing her. But any good intentions he may have had are destroyed when he just decides to tell everyone that he's going to prom with her despite her not agreeing to it, and then showing up at her house to pick her up.

So yeah. Kind of a jerk.

Pretty much, yeah. He knows that Bella's getting a lot of attention from guys, so he thinks it'd look good for him if he takes her to the prom... Though I will admit, I've always wondered - just how is it that the book says Bella is clumsy and average looking, but half a million guys want to take her to the prom in the first book? Guess that's just another way Twilight contradicts itself...

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1443645) wrote:Geez, there really are no redeeming qualities at all about Twilight, huh?

Also...

(In response to your first sentence...)

Yeah, there really isn't much good that can be found in Twilight. Though at the same time, as one who pretty much grew up in the generation of the target audience, I can pretty much say from experience that a lot of the unfortunate aspects of it happen in real life... So I guess it's kind of one of those "not good, but realistic" situations (if you take out the sparkling vamps and boys turning into wolves of course XD).

(And in response to the picture...)

Oh my gosh!!! That was brilliant... XD So true, too.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Previous

Return to General