Anime Conventional Wisdom for a Newbie

Talk about anything in here.

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Atria35 (post: 1399957) wrote:Don't worry about it- I didn't know my first time around either! They're basically discussions about things, and cover everything, like how to find lolita clothing, themes in FMA, how to write fanfiction, and question-and-answer sessions with cosplayers (the audience gets to ask them questions, and they answer in-character!). It varies from con to con and year to year, but you get the idea :)

Thanks so much! If I ever get to go to one of these things (or similiar) I don't want to appear as a total idiot. XD!!!

Ooh, how to write fanfiction? My ultimate advice: only write one if you are totally immersed into the series, otherwise keeping them in-character is impossible! When you are immersed, it's natural.

I'm such a dork XD
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:27 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1399958) wrote:Thanks so much! If I ever get to go to one of these things (or similiar) I don't want to appear as a total idiot. XD!!!

Ooh, how to write fanfiction? My ultimate advice: only write one if you are totally immersed into the series, otherwise keeping them in-character is impossible! When you are immersed, it's natural.

I'm such a dork XD

LOLZ! I'm glad to help! :thumb:

And I agree with the fanfiction advice- I've read sooo much, I've practically given up reading it. Of course, now I'm helping one of my best friends write one... (hooray for being a beta!).... which means I'm just as much of a dork! :grin:
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Atria35 (post: 1399962) wrote:LOLZ! I'm glad to help! :thumb:

And I agree with the fanfiction advice- I've read sooo much, I've practically given up reading it. Of course, now I'm helping one of my best friends write one... (hooray for being a beta!).... which means I'm just as much of a dork! :grin:

I have to admit it's fun, and a good past-time for when you're having writer's block for your OC stories.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Definately. I have the first chapter of a fantasy story that's been sitting around for a year or two- I'd forgotten about it until I started beta'ing my friend's story, and now I feel like going over it again and writing a second chapter.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:56 pm

I am excited, 'cause I have a high slight chance of going! Not totally official, but my friend says she is going. Now I just need to know if my parents or my friend can pay for me and my bro or not. But I'm leaving it in God's hands, it's up to Him if he wants me there tomorrow. We can only afford 1 day, but 1 is better than none!!! So please pray for me, my bro, and friends. Not official yet, but still ^.^

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:47 pm

^ Think this should be in the prayers thread? Anycase, here's hoping you can go- the best way to go is with friends to marvel at the people and things going on!
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Atria35 (post: 1406421) wrote:^ Think this should be in the prayers thread? Anycase, here's hoping you can go- the best way to go is with friends to marvel at the people and things going on!

Yeah. And it is official - I am going, with my bro, friends, and Mom! Yeah, I am going to post in the prayer thread....

I shall read over these things again so I know what to do!

1 more question: difference between convention and expo? Is an expo smaller than a con? Are they similiar, or is there major differences?

AnimeGirl

Postby steenajack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:35 am

I'm not sure if there's difference (looks up on wiki answers.)
hmm, I'm not sure if I can give an accurate definition of that. They seem pretty much the same except an expo seems bigger....much bigger.

I would like to say something about panels though. There are voice actor panels where voice actors are asked questions by the fans. I highly recommend that you go to your con's website (yes, most cons do have a website) and check out to see what voice actors they will be hosting. Why? Because a fav. VA of yours may be there, and you may want them to sign something for you. I also recommend avoiding what are called "uncensored panels". It means what it says, it can be explicit. I've never been to one, but I've heard of them.

ALSO! Avoid bootlegs. What are bootlegs? Fake copies of a product. This happens with not only DVDs and manga-scans, but with other things like plushies as well. I once bought a plushie Mokona, but it turned out to be a fake cause I looked at the real product online....it didn't match up, plus it had no "sown-in tag" like plushies should have. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want a fake, low quality item. :( Plus, none of the money goes to the artists or creators when anyone buys a bootleg, so no one wins. :(....But, thankfully there are ways to tell if something is a bootleg or not. It's a bit long to type out, so feel free to let me know via PM if you have any questions about this.

Anyway, I hope I was of help to you. :D! And may you have lotsa' fun at your 1st con! XD!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:57 am

I doubt there's much difference. Conventions may only have a few hundred people. Anime Expo is a huge convention, but otherwise I think the two terms are pretty much the same thing.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:03 pm

AnimeGirl wrote:1 more question: difference between convention and expo? Is an expo smaller than a con? Are they similiar, or is there major differences?

Well, "expo" is short for "exposition," meaning at an expo you have to expose yourself to everyone at least once.

I'm joking by the way. Just like cougars, pumas, and mountain lions, "Expo" and "Con" are two words for the same thing, at least when it comes to anime gatherings.

Really the difference is that a convention is just a meeting of people who share similar interests, and an expo is where companies usually try to show off new ideas or innovations. This doesn't particularly apply to the anime industry though, so "con" and "expo" mean pretty much the same thing.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Returned from my first expo! Not sure if any of you were there, but I was at...I think it was called Anime Expo AX in L.A and it has really fun!!! It was so cool to see the cosplayers, it made me really wanna do it next year. I was going to cosplay as one of my own charries, but since it was last minute, my friend didn't have time to make the school uniform. XD!!!

AnimeGirl

Postby steenajack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:53 pm

OMGOSH! I'm glad you had fun. You went to Anime Expo?!?! Lucky! That's one of the best Anime conventions in the U.S.A!!!!
How was your expeirience? Did you go to any panels? Did you buy any plushies? Did you watch cosplay shows? :3! Steena-chan wants to know. XD!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:01 pm

I was there friday and saturday with a slew of CAA members and non CAA friends.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby steenajack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Aww! I wanna go one day! XD!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:11 pm

You were there those 2 other days? Cool! If anyone else was there today, I had black little cat ears on, and my nametag, the nickname was "Kokoro" since I decided my new mangaka name will be "Kokoro Hane"

steenajack (post: 1406752) wrote:OMGOSH! I'm glad you had fun. You went to Anime Expo?!?! Lucky! That's one of the best Anime conventions in the U.S.A!!!!
How was your expeirience? Did you go to any panels? Did you buy any plushies? Did you watch cosplay shows? :3! Steena-chan wants to know. XD!

Really??? It's considered the best??? Cool! I did alot there. I even saw 2 cosplayers as Syaoran and Sakura! We went to a library like reading place to read manga, I checked out xxxHOLiC and Kimi Ni Todoke. I saw alot of cool commission art. There was a mangaka there, I think, creator of something called Kira Kira and some other one, and we watched him draw. They also have really nice Copic Markers there, though it is SOOOOO expensive! So I only bought 1 black (you can never go wrong with black!). I think a Japanese singer was there, she was singing in Japanese, and looked Japanese. Had a cute voice, too. It was so cool to see the cosplayers, my friends took pictures with some of them. I probably should of taken one with the Syaoran and Sakura cosplayers, I sadly missed my chance though, and they were like the ONLY Tsubasa cosplayers I saw that whole entire day! Mom spotted Yuuko, though I missed her. Didn't buy any plushies, though they had ALOT of Mokona plushies! I should of got one. I bought a pair of Made in Japan purple plastic chopsticks that come with a case, I ate it with my bento lunch that my friend made me. My friends' mother cosplayed as someone from Kitchen Princess, it's the only manga she reads. Me and my friend just wore cat ears to look like neko-jin. Anyway, lots more to tell, but that is the gist! I can't wait for next year, we are so doing it next year! And we'll be more prepared, cosplayed and everything, and maybe with our magazine out or manga published!

AnimeGirl

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:39 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1406757) wrote:You were there those 2 other days? Cool!

I almost went sunday, but couldn't justify paying for parking to just be there 4 hours, since sunday is the last, shortest and least eventful day usually. Unfortunately it means I missed the US premere of the last FMA episode. :<

AnimeGirl (post: 1406757) wrote:I can't wait for next year, we are so doing it next year! And we'll be more prepared, cosplayed and everything, and maybe with our magazine out or manga published!

Going to try to have a booth and a hotel then?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 pm

AX is huge...I heard it was having some problems though.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1407230) wrote:AX is huge...I heard it was having some problems though.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting actually. Just about everything I went to went off decently with few delays.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby airichan623 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:09 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1406757) wrote:I think a Japanese singer was there, she was singing in Japanese, and looked Japanese. Had a cute voice, too. !

that would be Mano Erina. I love her. I wish i could have seen her.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1407241) wrote:It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting actually. Just about everything I went to went off decently with few delays.

Okay. I haven't really heard a lot about its problems so I wasn't sure how bad it would have affected the con.
Ante Bellum

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:58 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1407167) wrote:Going to try to have a booth and a hotel then?

Hopefully, if it's God's will!

AnimeGirl

Postby PonderingChibi » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 pm

you'd call me a newbie to conventions, too. I've only been to one convention. and it had Vic Mignogna in it. @_@ it was so fun. anyway, nothing went wrong at all. I wouldn't be afraid to go to another one. ^_^
PonderingChibi

Postby Garland » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:10 pm

I went to AX on Saturday as well. I felt odd at first, it being my first convention, but I had a good time and I definitely want to go again.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:29 am

Ante Bellum (post: 1407249) wrote:Okay. I haven't really heard a lot about its problems so I wasn't sure how bad it would have affected the con.

Apparantly they affected a bunch of stuff I didn't go to.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Previous

Return to General