Free Education!

Talk about anything in here.

Free Education!

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am

If nobody has seen this yet, you all must check this out.

http://academicearth.org

There are free recorded lectures from schools like Yale and Oxford. Tons and tons of lectures. History, Literature, Psychology, Neurobiology, etc!

Likewise, if you haven't, check out iTunes University. Similar thing, but I like academicearth more. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 am

I'm checking this out now. Looks like a great tool. Just make sure to remember it's not the same as classroom education in that you are not doing labwork or discussions xD
Mr. Rogers

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:28 am

You should probably consider checking out MIT OpenCourseWare, which basically pioneered the whole free courses thing.

MIT's Introduction to Algorithms is really good and it's taught by Charles Leiserson, one of the authors of Introduction to Algorithms, which is pretty much the algorithms textbook (he's the L in CLRS).
blkmage

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Oh my gosh. I think I just died and went to heaven, XD.

Too bad there aren't any writing videos or videos about Asian history.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:50 am

LadyRushia (post: 1407126) wrote:Oh my gosh. I think I just died and went to heaven, XD.

Too bad there aren't any writing videos or videos about Asian history.

Their selection is kinda limited, yes. But for each topic they have, they have LOADS of lectures on it. So while it's kinda small, it's very concentrated!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 am

I watched the first Lit Theory lecture and five minutes from the end I started getting a huge headache, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:19 am

This looks cool. I'll have to check it out.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 am

This is Great! I love the lectures they have- I'm learning a lot of stuff!
Atria35

Postby Wikiwalker » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:10 am

Introduction to psychology, Ancient Greek History, The Civil war :dizzy: Where do I start! XD
~~~~~~~~~~~

[color="DeepSkyBlue"][font="Book Antiqua"]"I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will."-- Henry David Thoreau, Walden[/font][/color]

[color="Pink"]TGJesusfreak: Is the chatroom gonna self destruct or somethin?
Chatbot: Yes[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="PaleGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
Wikiwalker

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 am

There are a lot of good courses available here, but the major catch is that since you're taking college level courses if you don't have the text you'll often times become lost. Particularly when a course starts referring back to the textbooks a lot. I read an article a year ago in Popular Mechanics where someone tried to see if they could fill in the gaps in their education using these resources and that was his major stumbling block.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:19 pm

That site looks great. I was looking for introductory literature classes. I just wish they had ripped the audio tracks and made mp3s so I could listen to them, too.

A few other resources, for those interested:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Khan Academy has 1400 or so youtube videos on general knowledge. I have personally used them to ease myself through Multivariable Calculus. The quality isn't the absolute greatest, but they were all made by the same, incredibly dedicated man. You have to give him props for that.

http://librivox.org/

Librivox is an open source audiobook project with hundreds (thousands?) of recordings of public domain books. There was a thread about this a little while ago with no responses, but I think it is worthing mentioning this again. I have used this resource during my commute many times. Again, the quality is variable, but it is free, open, and close to comprehensive so one can't complain too much.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1407346) wrote:I watched the first Lit Theory lecture and five minutes from the end I started getting a huge headache, XD.

Oh Lacan. You silly boy, you. XD I love Lit Theory. Well... sort of. I haven't taken the course yet. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to General