There's something I need to say

Talk about anything in here.

There's something I need to say

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 am

I'd like to get this out. It's something of a confession. I'm don't know if this belongs in General, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

First of all, I'm 15 years old.

Which may come as a surprise, so please let me explain.

When I first joined, my Mom said not to put my age up. She'd said something more, probably concerning my ability to make people think I'm older than I am. (It happens with people in person. I don't even have to do anything, it's just my 'vibe', I think.) So I thought she wanted me to behave like I was older, to make my age hard to guess. I'm really good at being deceitful (unfortunately) so I phrased things on here as if I was an adult. The phrase "When I was younger" became "When I was a kid"; "I have brothers" became "I grew up with brothers", and so on. I should have made sure I understood what my Mom was saying, but I didn't.

Yesterday, I said to Mom, "You know, this would be easier and more honest if you'd said I could just say, 'I'm a kid and my parents don't want me to say so-and-so'." And she said something that made me wonder if I was doing what she'd wanted me to. We talked later that night, and it turns out I'd thought I was being deceitful on her orders, and she thought I was being deceitful for my own amusement. (There are things people said that they probably wouldn't have said if they'd known how old I was, and I'd tell her about them, and we'd laugh, which I'm ashamed of now.) But it turns out she hadn't meant for me to be deceitful at all, she'd just meant to make me careful about what information I give out. She said it's all right if I say my age now, since it's started to eat me up.

I don't know what else to say, except that I am so, so sorry for my deceit. I'm hoping posting this may make things right. Thank you for reading.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 am

I don't have a problem with it. It sounds like it was one big, familial misunderstanding, and I actually think that in a few years, you and mom will be able to bounce this story around and laugh about it! And since you were otherwise careful about what you put out, it looks like it won't have other consequences.

I hope you still continue to come around the board- you're great fun in goof-off, and it'd be a shame to see you go!
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 am

Well, I am glad you were able to get that off from your conscience. For the record, though, I don't think anyone will be offended. It is pretty much the unwritten rule of the internet to always assume people are lying or being deceitful about their age. That is why I list my actual age without worries, enough people will think I am lying that it doesn't matter if it is the real thing or not. (and even now some of you are wondering if I am saying this to try to confuse you)

To really tell someone's age on the internet, you look at the vernacular. While it is easy to fake a certain style of speech, after a certain while they will probably let their guard down. As for yourself, I always assumed you were in the 14-18 range, although I didn't know why until I thought about it. Looking back, I realize it was your excessive use of the word "like" that had me place you as such. So, if you are going to try to fool people in the future, watch out for that one.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks, guys.

I'll still be around, Atria. I just wanted to get the above off my conscience. And thanks for the advice, ich1990.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 am

Speaking for myself, I'm not offended at all. I'm glad you were able to see exactly what your mom meant and that your conscience is cleared :).

I agree with ich regarding age. Sometimes it just comes out on the Internet based on word choice. I know I put my real age up here when I joined. However, I was more concerned (as was my mom) about online predators. So almost every forum I joined, I would pick out gender-neutral user names or even fool folks with my choice of avatar. Just as a means of protection :)

Bottom line: Some people communicate via the Internet in ways that seem very mature (or sometimes immature) for their true age. It's just something that happens ;).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Lynna » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 am

I do the same thing all the time. it isn't very good I guess....
I did acctually think you were older thatn 15, but not allot older. people always think I'm older than I am for some reason......
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:55 am

You did WHAT!?

. . . Oh. Well, no worries, Flummoxed. There are worse fronts you could have put up.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:27 am

WAIT WUT:grin:

No problemo. It's all cool.
Yamamaya

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks, guys.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby armeck » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:51 am

lol hey man no one is going to give you crap about it! lol lots of people don't give out their age, lol no worries it's all good, don't feel bad!
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:14 pm

I feel.. I feel.. So lied to ;_____;

It's all good ^__^ Like Spoony said, there are worst fronts to put up ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

I've always assumed you were 15/16. XD Though, age can be a tricky thing to tell on the internet sometimes (for example, people have thought I was anywhere from 13 to 26).

I admire your honesty. People who are lying all the time, even on the internet, about themselves are not really good people to make friends with. But, I do also agree with your mom, you should be cautious about what personal info we give out on the internet (this thread may give you tips: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=41269 ); as should everyone else.
At any rate, I personally did not feel deceived by you, Fu. I understand that people want to keep their personal info (name/age/etc..) private and that's fine. :D
goldenspines

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:59 pm

XD No worries dude. People often assume I'm about sixteen offline, and I'm 21! Anyways, there's nothing wrong with keeping things like your age personal on the internet; especially when you haven't familiarized yourself with the community just yet! I'm glad to see you've gotten this off your chest, though!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ADXC » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Wow, you sounded older. XD Yeah, no big deal here.
ADXC

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks again, guys. And thanks for the link, Goldy. I wasn't intending to spew personal info, I just wanted to stop the deceit and get it off my conscience.

Again, thanks for being forgiving, guys. I appreciate that.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:18 pm

... I hadn't ever thought about your age. o.0 I chat like I'm three and write letters like I'm an aged college professor, so I don't even try to guess from type. I can't even tell age in person. >.<
Anyways, it sounded like it started as a measure to protect yourself, so it's fine. n.n/)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Now we must all reread your posts in this new context!
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Whitefang » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I've been told online that I sound like I'm 30 (back when I was a teen), so I wouldn't worry about it very much, unless it bothers you. In retrospect, you could have just not revealed your age. Lots of people choose to do that for various reasons, but it doesn't really matter. I totally understand why you would choose to be deceptive. I hope you had a little fun with it! ;)

In another vein, it could actually be dangerous to lie about your age, since it may encourage someone who is reading way too much into text on the internet. I wouldn't think to worry about that here, but you never can tell, unfortunately, whom to trust.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 pm

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. When I first joined my mom wouldn't let me post my gender, or tell anyone my real name. I too was 15 when I first joined and it was more for my protection than to be deceitful. :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Kaori » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Seems I may be in the minority here, but were I in your position, I would feel the same way that you do: that is, if I thought myself guilty of attempting to deceive someone, or some group of people (as opposed to simply withholding information, which is different), I would believe the deceit to be wrong, and I would feel guilty. For my part, I forgive you and have no hard feelings. I also admire you for coming clean about this--that shows courage and integrity.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Haha, I have absolutely no problem with this, it's fine fu. ^^b But it's funny, as you said, you do actolder than your age! XD So I actually did think you were older by talking to you. Haha, but it's totally fine. :P
Ella Edric

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:46 pm

No problem at all! You thought you were doing good. Glad you could get it off your conscience. ^_^ I actually guessed you were about 15 XDDD.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Okami » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:27 am

Oops....I saw this when it only had the original post. Guess I never responded to it. :O

All is forgiven by me, I understand how it is to want to respect a parent's wishes to stay safe on the internet and all that. For that reason, I only give out things like age and location when they're brought up...or if I do have them posted, generally only being vague about where I'm at... and all that. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Again, thank you all. And thanks, Kaori, for understanding how I felt in my position.

Again (again! XD), thank you all. :)

FllMtl Novelist

Return to General