About the default layout

Talk about anything in here.

About the default layout

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:51 am

I didn't want to, but I finally switched to the default layout instead of "Lite" so that I could use the chat. By now, I'm mostly adjusted to the difference, but one thing still bothers me: the white borders around everything. What I'm wondering is, am I the only one who's bugged by that?

I'm considering making a quick Stylish userstyle to change the border colors. (For those who might not know, Stylish is a Firefox extension that allows users to plug-in CSS styles to alter webpages, there's a large collection of styles at Userstyles.org, so you don't have to be able to make them yourself), and if there are any other browsers with a way to input a userstyle, then I don't mind tweaking it for those as well.

So, does anyone else want a style like this? And if so, what color should the border be changed to?
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:46 am

No, they don't bother me (I do use FF, btw). They keep the layout of the forum nice and clean cut. I can't really imagine changing the color of the border would improve it in any way. XD

Though, if enough people would like to see it changed, I personally wouldn't be against it. Or, if there was some way to get the chat to work with both skins.
goldenspines

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 am

It doesn't bug me at all. I like the black/gray background and not a lite color background.

As a wed designer major and most web designers will tell you, you never go with a light background for a web site. Light colors not really easy on the eyes and style that CAA uses works well as it's easy on the eyes, but not too dark as well of a theme.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby ADXC » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:14 pm

I think it's fine. I like the black and white contrast. I think keeping it simple like this is best and lets the users do the "coloring" as in their own posts, avatars and sigs.

But that's just my opinion.
ADXC

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:40 pm

For a moment, I thought you meant the button images, and I would have said yes, it's annoying that the button images blend to the wrong background color, but I like the white square borders.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Gee... I didn't know my design skills were going to be the source of a board wide discussion. XD

Usually when I'm working on upgrades to CAA, I kinda have to do them pretty fast - everyone I've talked to universally says they want things up sooner rather than prettier.

<O.O#
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:30 pm

It doesn't bother me ^^

CAA is pretty much the only Dark Skin I can tolerate on sites (The gray makes it easier on my eyes. It's not dark dark) xDDD; Most dark skins makes my eyes go: >_O.. @__@.. O_<

Ooh, when/if you do change it with the extension, you should take a screenshot ^O^ I'd love to see what you decide on ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm not bugged at all. White borders help me distinguish between postings and keeps them organized. I like them just the way they are. If they were to change, then maybe a shade of gray and that's it.

Just give it some more time and you'll get used to it. Switching from white/black to a sudden black/white can be pretty jarring.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Dante » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 pm

But... the every dark cloud should have a silver lining :(.

I like them, but I'm sorry to hear that you don't (and I have Google Chrome).
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Nah, they've never bothered me before. XD I don't really notice them while I'm browsing, but I think they serve their purpose in separating a box from the background pretty well. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 am

Or, if there was some way to get the chat to work with both skins.
That would be awesome, but, I suspect, the most work for Mith. I messed with that once and gave up and just switched skins.

I miss the old dark layout. Only saw it briefly, but I recall liking it when I did. At the time it was too much for my horrible, dial-up bearing comp of the time to put up with though.

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1404092) wrote:I'm not bugged at all. White borders help me distinguish between postings and keeps them organized. I like them just the way they are. If they were to change, then maybe a shade of gray and that's it.

Just give it some more time and you'll get used to it. Switching from white/black to a sudden black/white can be pretty jarring.

I had a reply typed up, but it wiped itself. Oh well.

I switched a few months ago (don't think I made that clear enough initially, but the white borders still jump out more than I feel they should. They're needed to separate posts, most definitely. The change I was thinking of was exactly what you said.

But, seeing as how there's a grand total of two of us that are bothered by them, and the other one is using IE, which (to my knowledge) has no way to support userstyles, I guess I'll just tweak whatever for me and leave it at that. ^_^

I'm also thinking of tweaking the reply boxes to make them darker as well, so there aren't the giant splashes of white on the nice dark background. Those'll take a few more minutes than the border changes though, and since it's somehow magically 4am already, I don't think I'll be finishing that up tonight lol.

For anyone who wants to at least give the darkened borders a temporary shot, just copy/paste one of these lines into your address bar and hit enter (changes will vanish with a page refresh)
Code: Select all
javascript: document.body.innerHTML+="<style type='text/css'>*{border-color: #777 !important][code]
javascript: document.body.innerHTML+="<style type='text/css'>*{border-color: #333 !important;}</style>"; void(0);

But... the every dark cloud should have a silver lining .
XD Technically, they're just a tad brighter than silver :P
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
SnoringFrog

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Ok, got what I'm going to do done, for now at least. Judging by the reactions in this thread already, I doubt many people will want to use these, but I'll share them anyways.

Here's the Userstyle for Stylish: http://userstyles.org/styles/32611?r=1277610005

And here's the Userscript for Greasemonkey: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/80214

For anyone who wants to test the GM script without installing GM, just copy and paste this into your URL and hit enter.

Code: Select all
javascript: document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].innerHTML+="<style type='text/css'>* {border-color: #777 !important;}select {background-color: #999 !important;}#vB_Editor_QR, .imagebutton, .alt_pickbutton, .vBulletin_editor, .imagebutton + td {background-color: #777 !important;} #vB_Editor_QR_textarea, textarea, .bginput{ color: white !important; background-color: #333 !important;} .fieldset td{background-color:#414141 !important;} table[width="95%"] {border: 1px solid silver;}</style>"; void(0);
The Stylish style doesn't have quite as much as the GM script; it leaves the reply boxes white instead of grey. I'm working on figuring out how to fix that.

Pascal: I added a "silver lining" to the "dark cloud" quote boxes for you in both of those. ^_^

Apologies for the double post, but I thought it was significant enough a change from my last post to warrant it.
SnoringFrog

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:05 am

I have no problem with it... I didn't like it at first, but that time has long passed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Alcuinus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Kaligraphic (post: 1403849) wrote:For a moment, I thought you meant the button images, and I would have said yes, it's annoying that the button images blend to the wrong background color, but I like the white square borders.

I offered to fix those... no response at all :S
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Alcuinus (post: 1404795) wrote:I offered to fix those... no response at all :S

That's actually one of the things we're looking into fixing in the next update. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Alcuinus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1404796) wrote:That's actually one of the things we're looking into fixing in the next update. XD

Glad to hear it :D

When will that be if I may ask?
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:40 pm

"When Mith has time" is the only answer I can give. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby ADXC » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Mith is very busy these days, meaning fixing the button images is probably at the bottom of the list. XD
ADXC

Postby SnoringFrog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Sometimes it seems like having another person helping out with all that would be good, even if only grabbed for temporary volunteer work, just to lessen the load on Mith (i.e., 'hey we need this done if someone can do it', but I suppose then there's the extra work of sifting through replies and help that just...fails) but I'll leave that all to them to decide.
SnoringFrog

Return to General