Graphic Tablets- input, if you please

Talk about anything in here.

Graphic Tablets- input, if you please

Postby choklit » Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 pm

I've been thinking about buying a graphic tablet for my drawing use. If you do use one, can you tell me what it is, how much it costs, and how happy you are with it, and why? It'll be a great help in my search for one. Thanks, all.

Oh, now I see this is a tech question. My apologies, honored mods. Move it if you wish.
So what's the speed of dark?
choklit

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Do NOT get UC Logic! I have one, and it's very poor. And when I tried to contact customer service, none of their email addresses worked!

(Other than that, a lot of people will probably recommend Wacom. Maybe Bamboo, if you are just getting into it.)
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:10 pm

I use a Wacom Intuos, and I really like it. It cost me around 300 dollars.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Definitely go with Wacom. They're really the best out there. XD I use an Intuos 2, myself, and though it put me out about $300, it's lasted me for...at least five years, and it still works like a charm. XD I think they're up to Intuos 4 now, but they have a lot of other, cheaper models available that won't cost as much. If you're thinking of going into a career where you'll be using a tablet, definitely get an Intuos, but if you're just looking for one for fun, the cheaper models (like the Bamboo) would be a good choice!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:24 pm

The bamboo is actually a pretty good tablet from what I've seen, and pretty durable.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Whitefang » Mon May 24, 2010 3:49 pm

I have used a Wacom cintiq before, just for playing around as I have no artistic skills. Even so, I found it quite useful. The reason I don't have it now is because it was leftover property from a prof who moved and I no longer have access to the tablet now. It's a very good tablet and it works great with photoshop and every day use. Unfortunately, I was unable to test it with any other graphics programs, but it should work just fine for those as well.

Of course, these are obscenely expensive, so stick to your budget, but I highly recommend a tablet monitor. It is that much more satisfying to draw on the screen than on a pad, provided you can afford the cost (I cannot, and thus I have neither input device). One issue, however, is that Windows, in its infinite wisdom, does not allow the pen input tools to be used on a secondary monitor, so if you would want to use the tablet monitor for everyday tasks, it would have to be your primary display. Yes, it's very irritating and I hope MS fixes that in their next OS...we'll see.

If you can't afford the monitor version, then yeah, I definitely recommend Wacom. Their drivers work well with Windows and so does their software. I don't know about Macs, but usually drivers are simpler in OS X than Windows.

P.S. I like the pun in the thread title.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Alcuinus » Mon May 24, 2010 3:59 pm

I use the Wacom Bamboo Fun CTE-450, but Wacom doesn't seem to carry it any more :\

It's my first tablet so I can't provide a lot of insight but I have liked it so far. :)
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon May 24, 2010 4:11 pm

I have a, I think it's a 12" diagonal, Wacom Intuos2. Cost $250 from a friend. It's wonderful. (Hopefully it'll last, or I'll be toast.)

Go with Wacom.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Whitefang (post: 1396331) wrote: I don't know about Macs, but usually drivers are simpler in OS X than Windows.

Mac and PC drivers for Wacom have the same functionality as far as I can tell, though the only major driver issue I ever saw was on a Vista PC.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon May 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I have a Wacom intuos 3 that cost me around 200 dollars I ordered it right before the new model came out. It's only 4 x 6 but it gets the job done :) Its very spiffy!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby choklit » Mon May 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Thank you all very much for your contribution; I'll be sure to keep all this in mind. I'll keep checking this thread; you guys are really helpful.

Whitefang: haha, i actually didn't intend to put a pun. Maybe it was subconcious. :P
So what's the speed of dark?
choklit

Postby Okami » Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm

I believe my tablet is a Wacom Intuos 2, can't recall how much it was, given it was a birthday present many years ago...but it still works great, and I've got no complaints. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon May 24, 2010 6:33 pm

I also want to add, since mine's fairly large, it's a bit cumbersome and I even have to keep in on the floor between the desk and wall XD The frame around the drawing surface adds about 6 inches.

Anyway, I think also they make some that'll match the ratio of your display.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby jim_wijit » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 pm

I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun CTE-650 which, as far as I'm concerned, is THE GREATEST INVENTION OF ALL TIME! But I've not really messed around with any other tablets so I'm not very balanced on my opinion. It was about $220 last time I checked.
jim_wijit

Postby ST. Attidude » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:19 am

jim_wijit (post: 1396428) wrote:I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun CTE-650 which, as far as I'm concerned, is THE GREATEST INVENTION OF ALL TIME! But I've not really messed around with any other tablets so I'm not very balanced on my opinion. It was about $220 last time I checked.

Is that the most recent bamboo tablet with the wider touch surface?
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Return to General