Human Displays of Affect With Animals and other Humans

Talk about anything in here.

Human Displays of Affect With Animals and other Humans

Postby Dante » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

The following is going to sound REALLY weird, but lately my personal psychological state has left me with a strange sort of world view that makes me notice things like this. That stated, please realize that this is being written by someone whose understanding of cultural "normality" is being replaced slowly and daily by a wall of questions about what constitutes reality and what is merely perception altered by my cultural paradigm.

The question in particular that is bugging me considers a seeming difference in behavior between human beings and animals and the behavior of human beings with their own, especially with regards to expression of personal affect. That is to say, it seems to me (at least from what I've observed) that human beings seem to display different behaviors among animals then we do among other human beings.

In and of itself, I suppose this wouldn't seem entirely startling - except the expression that we seem to choose seems all together different from expected. That is, we seem to be willing to grow closer to animals faster then we do other people and the level of depth of our relationship often exhibits behaviors that we do not allow ourselves to exhibit with other humans.

For consideration, it would be entirely acceptable and fairly common behavior for a human being to preen (pet), cuddle, hug, nuzzle or even kiss their pet dog, cat or bird. Yet the same behaviors are rarely seen between two human beings save the most extreme interpersonal circumstances - particularly, those who are pair bonding (at least in western civilization).

This strange behavior also seems to extend to animals we've just met. It at least seems relatively common for a human to approach a dog or cat they've never met, observe that it's behavior isn't erratic and give them their hand to smell... this may immediately be followed up by scratching the animal behind the ears or other displays of affinity between the two. However, if I were to walk up to another human, let them smell my hand and then scratch them behind the ears (the same behavior). This would suddenly be cause for alarm and even perhaps the police - even though no one had actually been harmed, just creeped out.

That is to suggest, that there does seem to be a different level of expressible affection that we allow with animals that we do not allow with one another.

So then to pose my question,

Why do humans seem to display different behaviors with animals then we do with one another? Furthermore, what would the consequences be in society (good and bad) if such behaviors were considered acceptable?

:hug: <--- another one of those things you never see
-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Dante » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:06 pm

I've officially scared everyone off haven't I.... >_<

You don't have to worry, my persona is an INTJ, there is no one more misanthropic on planet Earth... unless my real self ever comes out... the ENFP. It would be odd though if people preferred the INTJ over the ENFP side of me. On the flip side, I do suppose this world is lacking some good physical villains. In which case I really need to wipe the dust off my plans to wipe out the human race to give you a good run for your money... or lack thereof.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:17 pm

XD Its not that you scared us off...

I was just thinking that you can find all of those actions and more at Furry conventions... And I mean that in a very light-hearted way. >_<

Interesting thought though, I for one, am glad there are no nuzzling or smelling of hands with fellow humans. There are other things animals do that I just don't think would be all that awesome...

Also, we are humans and that's how God created us. We can speak and relate to each other through words and actions that don't require as much physical contact.... we are different. *shrugs*

That's my two thought anyways. :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby SailorDove » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Not sure how I missed this post yesterday.

Interesting line of thought, although a wee bit wordy it is humorously true. I don't know the answer to your inquiry. But, I suspect it has to do with verbal and non-verbal communications between species. As when 2 people, (who speak different languages), try to use action &/or impromtu sign language to effectually communicate.

Animals seem to be adept at picking up the meaning of the tone of our voices better than the words. My family has longed believed they have a more acute sense of empathy towards people. (Empathy is the ability to sense or read the feelings of others.)
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Hohenheim » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 pm

That's a very interesting question. I haven't read any of her work, but a blog I visit regularly has mentioned a college professor named Barbara King who delves into that kind of stuff. Try looking her up, maybe she has some insights.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby Twila27 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Um, I myself see the issue of breaking trust and hurting one another to be there, as well. I'll pet and cuddle my dog and, well, she can't do much else other than get up and go away or stay seated next to me, right? Another person, however, could insult, fight, or otherwise emotionally crush me under the right circumstances. Maybe that's only from the perspective of the cautious, but it's still something I'd throw out for consideration. I don't expect my dog to do things a person does; I don't expect people to do things my dog does. There's definitely the God-created aspect involved, as well as the purposes of certain relationships (I can't intellectually grow intimate with the dog, the way I might with a close buddy, nor could I have an emotional breakdown and have Maggie be depressed alongside me--although she might sit and I might gain some comfort from not being completely alone, there's not the same opportunity present if it were a friend or a parent). Distinctive differences, or something like that? X3
Seeking to find shelter, fellowship, and healing in the community of those who love Jesus.
Twila27

Postby Dante » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Welcome to CAA Hohenheim. I hope you enjoy your stay with the rest of us crazies... some more then others and I take the cake if at all possible, outside of perhaps ROFL. Looked up Barbara King, interesting stuff there (might check out some books in that direction and also learned of something called Oxytocin... might ask to give it a try if it does what it claims to do).

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Hohenheim » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Pascal wrote:Welcome to CAA Hohenheim. I hope you enjoy your stay with the rest of us crazies... some more then others and I take the cake if at all possible, outside of perhaps ROFL. Looked up Barbara King, interesting stuff there (might check out some books in that direction and also learned of something called Oxytocin... might ask to give it a try if it does what it claims to do).

-Pascal

I'm honored to be a part of the group. FYI, I'm secretly crazy too.:dizzy:
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Just because it's a cultural paradigm through which you're viewing it does not mean it is an illusion. Additionally, the answer you're looking for doesn't exist solely because humans are what they are. It also exists because animals are what they are. Now... There's another level here. Even not all animals want to have us pressed against them like that. We have bred in a culture of mastery over dogs, so they'll accept our affection. Cats will accept it when they darn well please (but I've learned don't you dare try to foist yourself on one). These animals are domesticated to one level or another. You could cuddle and pet a cow as well, and it won't go away. Because it doesn't care. I want you to try this with a fox. Foxes are wild animals requiring space, and unless you've already established a long-standing personal relationship with one it's going to react much like a human: 1) it will attack you until 2) it can get away. Even then, my money is on it still doing that even IF you raised it from a kit.

We could take this further as well. Crocodiles?

Animals are hard to generalize. People act differently because we assume (due to a cultural paradigm again) that animals across the board what to love us and shower us with affection. As though they exist to love us. Because of this, we believe we can exert control on them, even if that control is well intentioned. Part of this is because we can't really talk to an animal. Not on its level. Suuure, there's animal psychology, but no matter how "dog whisperer" you are, you'll never be communicating with a dog like another dog would. You can't. Humans on the other hand...? We respond differently because we CAN communicate with a human. Being humans ourselves, we can also understand their feelings most of the time. When we've crossed a boundary there will be a very human way for them to communicate that, and so we learn. Generally speaking, it's not just culture but experience that tells us that running up to a perfect stranger and hugging the will get one smacked.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

I find this thread very interesting. To add onto a little bit on the topic, I would like to say that I believe this is one of those things that shows there is a major distinction between animals and humans. Animals don't know about things like crime and "psyco-ness", so they (at least domesticated ones)wouldn't mind if a human were to "pet them" under certain curcumstances. But, another human would see "being petted" like an animal a bit belittling and degrading, and may even think there was something seriously wrong with you. The reason being is because we are aware of things like crime, mental instability, and the like. Animals are not aware of that kind of thing because they are not intelligent or observant enough to notice it. Things like "creepy" aren't going through an animals head as they are being petted, but for a human (since we have so much knowledge of the extent of human creepiness) creepy would most likely be the first thing a human would think.

That is my 2 cents on the subject thus far. I may post more later.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 am

You can change "animal" to "child" in a few of those statements, and it still works. Works better if you change "child" to "baby" or "infant".

I think it's related to intelligence or understanding of certain topics... or something. Or the level of cute, if we're talking about the difference between dogs and crocodiles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1383705) wrote:I want you to try this with a fox. Foxes are wild animals requiring space, and unless you've already established a long-standing personal relationship with one it's going to react much like a human: 1) it will attack you until 2) it can get away. Even then, my money is on it still doing that even IF you raised it from a kit.

Ever heard of the Russian silver fox? Yeah, it honestly all comes down to domestication on the animal side. Pet dogs, cats, birds and even foxes have been domesticated and created to exist for our pleasure. This is the big difference between pets and wild animals and even other humans. We already know pets are of no harm to us. Wild animals and, like Twila said, especially other humans possess a far greater risk of harm to run up to and pet/hug/whathaveyou.

Pets and other humans are in no way similar and as such should not be treated similar.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:12 am

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1383786) wrote:Ever heard of the Russian silver fox? Yeah, it honestly all comes down to domestication on the animal side. Pet dogs, cats, birds and even foxes have been domesticated and created to exist for our pleasure. This is the big difference between pets and wild animals and even other humans. We already know pets are of no harm to us. Wild animals and, like Twila said, especially other humans possess a far greater risk of harm to run up to and pet/hug/whathaveyou.

Pets and other humans are in no way similar and as such should not be treated similar.

Don't do this to me! I've already had to realize I can't have one as a pet once. lol. You're killing mah soul!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1383788) wrote:Don't do this to me! I've already had to realize I can't have one as a pet once. lol. You're killing mah soul!

Baw, don't worry, you're not the only one who wants one. :c
CrimsonRyu17

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

I only treat animals I know in a friendly and close manner, just the same as humans. That may be due to several experiences with ostensibly domesticated pets taking snaps at various parts of my anatomy, and at this point I actually feel a bit safer with cat's than dogs, since one can always presume that a cat might attack you at any moment, while dogs can switch gears extremely rapidly and their greater size can lead to different consequences.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General