Another Invasion Of Privacy Issue

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Myoti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:17 am

This isn't a case of the school attempting to spy on the students outside of school, it's a case of, at worst, the misapplication of a useful technology by an individual.

It should also be noted that the school district has completely removed this software from the computers, and are looking to prevent anything of this nature from happening again.

Sounds reasonable. Still pretty silly to begin with, but at least they're trying to satisfy the situation.

It could be worse, such as some problems with my own school (college, but still a pretty close example):

Well, to get into a private school you have to agree to their code of conduct among various other things to be allowed in. Once you agree to this, there is literally nothing you can do.

At least when you go to a private school, you know what you're getting into.

When I moved in to student housing in 2007, all the rules and regulations of the building were listed on numerous pages of fine print, and and you had to initial every point before signing. Most were reasonable: no alcohol (you could move to the 21+ housing if you wanted that), no drugs, no weapons, etc.

Of course, it wound up not mattering as I found people with this stuff on numerous occasions, and rarely did anyone running the building do anything about it. A friend of mine even reported a room that was throwing a loud party (of course, with alcohol and drugs), and the RA that was sent up knocked on the door and joined in instead of taking care of the problem!

The building even has hired security, but they're not allowed to actually do anything (even if they see the evidence).

So, with all this nonsense going on, how do they respond to fix the problems? Why, by adding more rules without informing anyone, of course! That's right, they add more rules, limiting even more what you're allowed to do, a curfew on certain entrances forcing you to go round about even if the other entrance (which HAS security guards) is closer to your room (and this building is huge).

To get around being 'legal' they make you sign another paper that looks similar to the lease, and they do this every single quarter (despite the fact the lease itself lasts for three quarters). The last couple of quarters, a friend of mine had a bunch of trouble dealing with them over mold in his room. The head of housing threatened him with slander, despite him having over fifty photographs and numerous people that could vouch for this happening.

The next few months after this, a clause was added onto the psuedo-lease stating "if there's mold in your room, it's not our problem."

The next few months after we finally moved out of that stain of an apartment, ANOTHER clause was added essentially stating "if ANYTHING happens, it's not our fault, even if it happened because of us."

Oh, and to keep with the "invasion of privacy" issue, RAs were sent about once a month to check the state of students rooms (they would leave little notes saying they would fine you if your room didn't meet "standards," though half the time I really had to question their judgment). They had master keys, and some of the RAs were known to have stolen stuff from people's rooms. This wasn't the schools fault in particular, but you'd think after enough complaints they'd do something about it.

This private school in question at least seems to be trying.
Myoti

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:48 am

Wading through all the tl;dr, the kid took the laptop home, against the rules. The school goes "Hey, where did my laptop go?" Then school turned on their webcam in their laptop and caught the kid doing something he shouldn't be doing.

Right?

Nate (post: 1375009) wrote:http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0034/0034_01.asp

Warning: Jack Chick contains major amounts of stupidity, read at your own risk!

Wait, what? None of that even begins to make sense. Nothing makes me want to worship Satan like Journey.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 am

Heh... Yep. All rock music is of the debil. Also. AIDS!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

And comics! Especially that manga stuff!

Anyways...No, I'm not sure what to say right now.
Ante Bellum

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Shame on you, Cognative Gear! You should know better than to post actual relevant research into a heated discussion. On the Intertubwebs.

>.>

No, seriously, let's move away from the intrathread debate, please. "Nothing to see here."
Mithrandir

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1375565) wrote:Could they drag you into an office for it, though? I don't think the school could actually force you to accept friend requests. Then again...
I can only imagine what would cause someone to freak out over a MySpace or Facebook page. I personally don't have anything on there that could get me in trouble, but I've heard of what some people have on there...
Yep. Pretty sure they could, if they thought you were doing it in order to hide something. I'm not sure where they'd go with it, and depending on the student my principal would probably decide himself if it needed to be addressed. If, for whatever reason, there was cause to believe that the student was hiding something inappropriate, then yes, they probably would get dragged into the office to discuss it.

Richard Dawkins and calling someone stupid their entire life wouldn't have any effect on their performance (which has been proven that it does by the way).
Do you happen to have a link to that proof? I don't doubt what you're saying here (or even know who Dawkins is, really), but I happen to be working on an assignment where that kind of information would be useful. /unrelated

Saying the parents have a right to sue the school because of the staff remotely activating the camera is the same as the age-old story of the thief breaking into someone's house, hurting their leg, and suing the family for it. If the thief hadn't been breaking the law in the first place, there would be no reason to sue.
So then we can assume the families will sue and will win then if this analogy is accurate lol.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 pm

SnoringFrog (post: 1376315) wrote:Do you happen to have a link to that proof? I don't doubt what you're saying here (or even know who Dawkins is, really), but I happen to be working on an assignment where that kind of information would be useful. /unrelated

Look for studies on negative reinforcement correlating with self esteem and self identity. Are you a college student? If so, most colleges are hooked into a pretty good network that you can make use of for finding technical and medical sources for papers.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

SnoringFrog wrote:(or even know who Dawkins is, really)

Richard Dawkins is a biologist who's best known in the Christian world for writing a book a few years back called "The God Delusion," which was a book that said God was a delusion and religion was a false set of beliefs.

Dawkins himself isn't directly related to the negative reinforcement studies Etoh and I mentioned, the reason I brought him up was because, when I was misunderstanding what Rusty was saying, I was proving a point that if words were just words and couldn't hurt people, why would we be so against Dawkins? The proof that he is consistently attacked by religious people proves that words can do harm.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1376321) wrote:Look for studies on negative reinforcement correlating with self esteem and self identity. Are you a college student? If so, most colleges are hooked into a pretty good network that you can make use of for finding technical and medical sources for papers.
No, I'm not. Finishing up high school. Thanks for the help on what to look for though, I wasn't entirely sure what to search for which made finding info a tad difficult lol.

Richard Dawkins is a biologist who's best known in the Christian world for writing a book a few years back called "The God Delusion," which was a book that said God was a delusion and religion was a false set of beliefs.

Dawkins himself isn't directly related to the negative reinforcement studies Etoh and I mentioned, the reason I brought him up was because, when I was misunderstanding what Rusty was saying, I was proving a point that if words were just words and couldn't hurt people, why would we be so against Dawkins? The proof that he is consistently attacked by religious people proves that words can do harm.
Ah, okay. Thanks for filling me in there.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Nate wrote:because, when I was misunderstanding what Rusty was saying

Yay! That implies that I got understood eventually!
Rusty Claymore: 1
Life: 397,895,654...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Previous

Return to General