How do you stick with it?

Talk about anything in here.

How do you stick with it?

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 am

I work with my cousin and we usually end up going out to lunch together. Today she and I were talking, and she's been itching for a creative outlet, and to start doing something that she loves instead of doing something that merely pays the bills. She feels like she's found a couple potential outlets (Jewelry making and Lolita designing) which can provide income for her. As we parted to return to our respective job functions she encouraged me to do the same. I have, after all, had several things over the years I've wanted to pursue. I'm nothing if not a dreamer. There's just one thing...

I have no sticktuitiveness.

How do you remain dedicated? How do you keep yourself on task and complete a project? How do you keep yourself from becoming discouraged and throwing in the towel? What's the key to discipline? I'm looking for some suggestions and a little guidance. It's something I've fought with my whole life, and I know I could at least contribute something if I could only complete it. :lol:
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Well, it all depends on your personality, but I find that if I make a goal of doing something for so many hours each day/week/month, whatever, with something I can treat myself to if I hit that goal, then I am a little more motivated.

For example, what seems to work best for me is that I have a set goal to do 4 hours of language study a week, to start off with. I can choose which days I want to do those in, and I have a little more freedom about how much I do each day. Making a "to do" list helps too, since I like being able to check something off once I've completed it. And then, if I do my four hours this week, I let myself have a treat - buying a DVD I've been wanting, or going out for gelato, etc...and the next week, I may up it to 5 hours of studying and go from there.

Hope this helps!
Wyntre Rose

Postby DeusVult » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Hmm well I would suggest doing something that gives only yourself fulfillment at first. Then compliments or an extra $ Sale is just an added perk. That way if you ever get near burn out or in the dumps so to speak you still feel good about what your doing and will keep "sticking to it"

But Like the above poster said, it would kinda depend on you personality and how much you depend on encouragement from other or there actions to keep you going. But if that's an issue i know of some1 who is always there to listen to you. :angel:

If you enjoying doing something for the sake of it, you'll stick to it thru thick and thin. I like to make goals for myself. Such as you will finish set task by such and such. (Just as if it was a job) Now for some ppl this doesn't work because it makes the "fun" seem like work but it puts pressure on me from procrastinating and keeps me in-line.

Try to find some1 who is willing to share your pursuit. Like for example your friend who does jewelry making. Find some1 else who also enjoys doing the same thing. You can help each other during low points and share ideas constantly to improve.
DeusVult

Location: on top of a cactus, on top of a rock,waay out in the middle of a lake

Postby Esoteric » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:15 pm

...and to start doing something that she loves instead of doing something that merely pays the bills.

This is a big piece right here. The better your inner motivation, the better your stamina will be. My brother has started and quit a thousand projects--a very depressing trend. But he's stuck with the last one and is near completing. He finally got to the point in his life where he needed to buckle down and get serious about trying to make a project pay off.

I'm no expert and a procrastinator myself, but here's some advice based on my observations.

Do not 'impulse buy' your project. There's the old adage about how if you see some cool new toy in a store you immediately want to buy, don't. Instead, you should make yourself wait a month. After that cooling off period if it's still something you really want then okay, go buy it. Same with projects. Never jump willy-nilly at your first idea. Chew on it a while. Make sure you really want to, and that's it's an idea worthy of your time.

Do not have unrealistic expectations. For example, if you decide you want to try and learn 3D animation, do not expect your first, third, or twentieth attempt to rival Pixar in quality. It's better if you underestimate your abilities a little bit, especially when attempting something completely new to you. Grandiose visions and stonewall perfectionism are project killers.

Do not set unrealistic goals/deadlines. If you work 50 hours a week, do not try and finish a 150 hour project in a month. Anyone who's tried to complete NaNoWriMo will understand what a DAUNTING goal writing 60,000 words in a month is. Most people just can't, and I know I'm one of them. Avoid putting yourself in a position that leads to project failure or disappointment.

Pace yourself. It's the tortoise that wins the race, especially when you have a job/life to keep up in the meantime. Have a schedule where you set aside a regular chunk of project time and stick to the pattern. This will mean sacrificing some of your free/social/fun time, but if you balance your work/fun ratio, it should be endurable.

Fan the flames of enthusiasm any way you can. Use mood music if it helps. Get people (like your cousin) to check up on you and periodically ask about your progress. Accountability can do wonders. Keep your eyes on the prize, because when you reach the goal line, the satisfaction you get from persevering is a tremendous reward.

Good luck!
Esoteric

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:06 am

She's actually set a challenge to her husband and myself. We each pick a project or a genre of tasks and complete one portion (or one task) a night for ten days. I suspect her husband will pick his blog as it's something he's done very well at recently. I'm going to attempt to write 200 words of a short story per night. She's going to work one piece of jewelry per night, I suspect. That's one of the things she's trying to break in to. She's met so many people on her communities on LJ who make their living from jewelry and lolita designing that she wants to try her hand at it and do something that she likes.

We start next monday, and I'm attempting to stir up an idea for a short story. Had a good one last Saturday, but I wasn't thinking about it then and now I've forgotten.

Thanks guys!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Return to General