Didn't know exactly what I committed to...

Talk about anything in here.

Didn't know exactly what I committed to...

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu May 21, 2009 9:09 pm

SO...

YC starts tommorow. YC is Youth Conference, and it's easily the biggest Christian gathering in Canada. People from all over the country gather, and bands like Skillet and stuff play (Underoath played a couple years back), and they have world speakers come in and talk. It's usually a gathering of 17,000+ people.
I've only gone once, a few years back, and it was incredible- tons of concerts to choose from, speakers, workshops, shopping, people confessing... all that stuff.

GREAT strong christian event. I've never felt the presence of God more strongly in my life.
The only snag is the tickets are $150, plus food, and the event lasts over 3 days.

Anyway, I haven't been too keen on going the past couple years, cos its really just a hassle to get everything together and go with a group and stuff.

But, my sister goes every year, and this year, she's going with a group of 60 or so people. Her group needed a chaperone, so my mom volenteered me to go (the group offered to pay for my ticket and sleeping arrangments) thinking that I would be chaperoning my sister and her friends, which would be totally cool.
I just turned 18, like, last week too... so I'm just BARELY able to be a chaperone... and I'm still in high school.

Turns out, however, I need to chaperone 4 TWELVE year old girls. This means, I have to be with them ALL the time, in the Rexall Stadium, amounst 16,000 people, keeping track of them, AND at the Agricom, where they'll want to go to the different concerts, and shopping, and all that jazz.

To be honest, this makes me VERY uncomfortable and nervous- I don't feel at all mature enough to be responsible for 4 twelve year olds for three days straight- I honestly thought I'd be chaperoning my 16 year old sister and her 16 year old friends.
The pastor won't let me switch groups, and they're pretty desperate for a female chaperone, because otherwise another woman would have to chaperone 8 girls ages 12-15.

I don't feel comfortable going, but I committed to it (this morning, we're leaving tommorow morning... so I didn't exactly get a heck of a lot of notice here either) and they're pretty tight for people, but the thing is, they didn't tell me WHAT I committed to. I mean, I JUST turned 18... I don't feel mature enough!
On the other hand, this is a very powerful spiritual experience... and God IS getting me a FREE ticket, so I don't know if that's a sign to go.

The bottom line is... I feel very nervous and uncomfortable chaperoning 4 kids... but I said I'd do it.

So, I'm not sure what to do... I have till morning to back out of it...
What does everyone think I should do?

Thanks...
GAH. I'M FREAKING OUT OVER THIS!

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu May 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Absolutely go.

1. It sounds like a great event.

2. It sounds like it will challenge you. (This is usually good)

3. Having worked with kids that age at approximately your age for a week long summer camp, I can tell you that it often teaches you a lot about yourself.

Besides, I'm certain that if you have any trouble at all with them, you can go to another one of the chaperons for advice and help! Do it, it will probably be good for you!
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu May 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Yeah...

I've decided to go.
I mean.
Sheesh.
What's the worst that can happen, yknow?

I'm sure I'll have a good time =]
I tend to freak out over stuff a lot.

SORRY!

Thanks ^_^

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Have lots of fun and take pics \o.o/

I'm sure you'll do great ^_^ I agree with Cogni ^^ If anything gets out of hand, there'll always be the others to help ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 pm

The worst that can happen is your group gets killed and eaten by a chupacabra in front of you. Check chupacabrawatch.com for information on chupacabra sightings in your area.

Fortunately, chupacabras do not tend to wander as far north as Canada, so you'll probably be okay.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri May 22, 2009 9:08 am

I've done this tons of times. It'll be fine. Even when things get That Bad, it's really Not That Bad.
Cap'n Nick

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 pm

That sounds like an awesome event! I would even love to go ^^

Well, I hope that everything went well (and I know how you feel, I sometimes have to watch over my family at that age). God bless!
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 am

There's a first for everything. =)
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to General