Mith's online Japanese flashcards: Learn online, fast and free!

Talk about anything in here.

Mith's online Japanese flashcards: Learn online, fast and free!

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Hey everyone,

Years and years ago I built a simple website to help myself (and some students in the same class as I) learn Hiragana, Katakana, and a bunch of vocab. Sadly, this site was destroyed in a server crash. I have since re-incarnated this site (read: totally re-written), and it is now available in public beta as I try to work the kinks out of it. I'll be adding features and fixing bugs, but I figured there were a bunch of users here that would be interesting in playing around with it. So if you want to learn Japanese (or just brush up on your Kana skills), check it out! If you have the "Learn Japanese New College Text" series of textbooks, this site can seriously help with the rote memorization of vocabulary. If you DON'T have said books, I strongly recommend them. :thumb: Just FYI: If you register for an account (so it can remember your preferences), you can tell it which kana you want to use - that way you can learn the kana slowly. That's very useful for beginners.

http://flash.holdmeaccountable.org/

Over the next few weeks, I will add additional vocabulary lists, so stay tuned!

- Mithrandir

PS: Feel free to post bug reports here if you find any; I need the pants kick to get things fixed quickly anyway. :D Have fun!
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:26 pm

I think I broke it, Mith O___O

Lesson One doesn't seem to work o_o
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:34 pm

As of when you were looking at it, Lesson 1 wasn't quite yet ready. Only the Hiragana and Katakana were available. The pop-up list should say: "Lesson 01 (not yet ready)" for the title.

:D

EDIT: Updated - Lesson 01 and Lesson 02 are now available!
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:42 pm

That was fun! I'm looking forward to more lessons being added. It would be really cool if the Japanese was written in kana rather than romanized, too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:59 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1275632) wrote:That was fun! I'm looking forward to more lessons being added. It would be really cool if the Japanese was written in kana rather than romanized, too.

That's actually on the docket, eventually. If you follow the Learn Japanese text, there's only one book where it's mostly Romanized. I intentionally created fields in the DB, and set it up as UTF-8 so I can add the kana/kanji entries for each item. Then I'll add a toggle for the end-user to select their preference for each lesson.

Great idea, and it's in the works! :thumb:

Keep the creative juices flowing - the only limit to what this can end up being is our imagination.

BTW: If anyone registers for an account (so it can remember your preferences), you can tell it which kana you want to use - that way you can learn the kana slowly. It's very useful for beginners. For example, I have a friend who is learning a, i, u, e, and o. The system shows him those over and over and over.
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Ooooooh, I guess I never noticed that before ^__^;

I have slacked so much on my lessons... Hopefully, this can get me back on track ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:02 pm

ooh wow that was cool! ^_^ I had fun doing that, Thanks, Mith! 8D I'll probably look at it often.. XD.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Cool! Glad you got use out of it. :thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby Sparrowhawk » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:45 am

I want to learn Japanese so bad, but school keeps getting in the way with its crazy schedule. Stupid school, always getting in the way of learning XD
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Mave » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm

OldMith, I think this is fantastic and so do my friends as well. *spreads the love around*
Mave

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:05 pm

:D Yay! Glad it's useful to ya!
Mithrandir

Postby White Raven » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Is there any way you could put a pronunciation thingy along with the words?
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby GeneD » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:59 am

This is great. I'm definately going to be going through the lessons a lot. A pronunciation indication would be pretty useful.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:18 pm

That's a very good suggestion. I have the infrastructure in place to allow that, I just need to add it. ATM, I'm working on a different present for you guys (a descriptions of which may make it's way to CAA's main page in the next few days, if things go as planned).

- Mith
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1278883) wrote:That's a very good suggestion. I have the infrastructure in place to allow that, I just need to add it. ATM, I'm working on a different present for you guys (a descriptions of which may make it's way to CAA's main page in the next few days, if things go as planned).

- Mith

A surprise is something good to look forwards to ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Postby animechica » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Um, Mith? I still see the "Please wait..." screen when I first come here... o_o;
animechica

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Yeah... I've had a few people notice that. I'm going to have to catch some peeps on AIM/Skype tomorrow and have them run a few commands to try to figure out exactly what's going on.

Thanks for the heads up!
Mithrandir

Return to General