Appropriate?

Talk about anything in here.

Appropriate?

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:38 pm

I have a... question.
About sex, actually, and what is considered christian and such.

I'm just not sure where it would be most appropriate to discuss this?

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:02 pm

For one thing, sex isn't unholy or anything. God created it to be enjoyed by married couples.

Everyone has personal boundaries regarding physical contact in relationships. Some are convicted not to kiss before marriage and others aren't.

The only way I see sex going against God is if it's done outside of marriage.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:08 pm

I'd say General is the proper forum for it. If you feel anything is too inappropriate, you can always PM one of the mods and ask for his or her opinion on the subject.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm with LadyRyushia here. God created sex to be a very good thing between married couples. But unfortunately, mankind kinda perverted it into what it is today...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby NekoChan_C » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 pm

go for it! I'll be glad to answer honestly, as I know everyone else will!

Neko
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby CAAOutkast » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 am

Sex out side of marrage is perfectly fine,as long as you're 18 or over and intend to stick with that person for a very long time. Of course,relationships are much much more then just about Sex.

The reason I said "18 and over" is because sex wasn't and never will be ment for Children.
CAAOutkast

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:17 am

Christisright (post: 1249485) wrote:Sex out side of marrage is perfectly fine,as long as you're 18 or over and intend to stick with that person for a very long time. Of course,relationships are much much more then just about Sex.

The reason I said "18 and over" is because sex wasn't and never will be ment for Children.

That is unBiblical. The Bible speaks clearly against sex before marriage.

1 Corinthians 6:9, 2 Corinthians 12:21, Galatians 5:19, Hebrews 13:4 and Deuteronomy 22:13-28

Sex before marriage is harmful --it creates soul ties--and then if you break up with that person, it tears you apart --it damages you physically, emotionally, spiritually. Which is why God reserves it for marriage.

Link to article

That said, God can restore people who have engaged in premarital sex. I forgot where I saw this statistic, but I read that couples who have engaged in premarital sex and then have remained celibate and committed to purity have the same success rate in marriage (# of divorces) as those who stayed pure before marriage.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:34 am

In answer to the original post, which may have already been answered, the answer is.

God created humans with the capacity and necessity for sex to produce offspring.

Biblically speaking, sex is only allowed between a married man and woman.

The common protestant belief for those that hold that the Bible is 100% auhoritative in how to live our lives is that sex is also good for other purposes besides producing offspring, WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF MARRIAGE.

Roman Catholic traditional teachings discourage birth control, but this is changing somewhat.

Many people of all denominations that are demoting Scripture's authority/relevance say that casual sex is wrong, but that it is ok in "serious" relationship - some even going so far as to include homosexuality.

I stand with the majority of protestants that believe the Bible is 100% authoritative - sex is perfectly good inside of marriage. Outside of marriage it is a sin. Homosexuality is also sinful and a perversion of even the intended sexual attraction.

Hope this helps some. PM me and I can give you some verses supporting this view, and discuss others as well.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 am

I have to agree with Sparrowhawk. The Bible is 100% authoritive and clearly denotes that sex before marriage is sin. Marriage goes all the way back to Genesis and I want to say it began in the Garden of Eden. PM me if you want scriptures.

As to the take on homosexuality, Rom. Ch.1 is very clear that it is wrong, and it is a direct result of rejecting God.

In either case, the important thing to remember is the cross. When we fall short, we go to the cross. It's never too late to say the sinner's prayer, I do it daily. So did the Apostle Paul. Every day is a brand new day, and God wants to be apart of it. All we have to do is ask Him to go with us.

Paul
Paul

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:53 am

This looks like it's leaning towards theological debate guys. We might wanna back up a few steps.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby randomuser83 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 am

Oh boy another one of these discussions. Please dont get religious on this subject. It will never end just because when you use it there is no room for compromise or understanding.
randomuser83

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:18 am

Black Roses, I encourage you to not worry and ask away. You may get mixed answers, but we'll make sure that we point out those who give you the wrong answers. ~_^

Christisright (post: 1249485) wrote:Sex out side of marrage is perfectly fine,as long as you're 18 or over and intend to stick with that person for a very long time. Of course,relationships are much much more then just about Sex.

Uuuuhhhh.... that's dead wrong. Sheenar has said it perfectly.

Unless you can somehow show me reasons as to why you're correct, Christisright...
randomuser83 (post: 1249535) wrote:Oh boy another one of these discussions. Please dont get religious on this subject. It will never end just because when you use it there is no room for compromise or understanding.

And dare I ask what the problem is with thinking this with a religious mindset? Many of us have our religion encompassing our entire lifestyle, hence why we'd approach an understanding of any subject in a Christian mindset.

And I'll have to disagree with you when you say that there's no room for compromise or understanding. That's simple close-mindedness on your part.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:30 am

Christisright wrote:The reason I said "18 and over" is because sex wasn't and never will be ment for Children.

*sigh* Eighteen is NOT a magical age where people suddenly become adults. Eighteen is an ARBITRARY age that means NOTHING.

In fact, in Judaism, the age where a child becomes an adult is 13 (12 for females). That's what a bar mitzvah is, the ceremony in which a boy becomes a man. The Talmud explains in greater detail.

Also remember the age of consent varies not only between countries, but even states as well. It's 18 here in Virginia, but in North Carolina and South Carolina, 16 is considered a legal adult.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:39 am

And even in "18" states, 18 is not necessarily static. The age can become variable in some states depending on the age of the other person. the deal is, "childhood" is something we invented earlier in the last century. Previously you had maybe five to ten years to be a kid if that and then it was to the work-force for you, or if you were a girl it was to the "baby makin'" force. Children were more assets than anything else and towards the middle of the 19th century it even became necessary at times in England to sell them in order to simply survive.
Kids are technically adults when they are physically mature enough (not completely, just enough). Mentally we're all kids in to our late twenties now because of how we've been raised. Heck, some of my manages are mid thirties and still living with their parents. That's the kind of generation that's coming in now. Childhood becomes longer and longer every generation.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:16 am

Rose, I'm sure this is a fine spot for this thread (As RD pointed out already) ^ ^

Feel free to ask away ^ ^

Sex before marriage is harmful --it creates soul ties--and then if you break up with that person, it tears you apart --it damages you physically, emotionally, spiritually. Which is why God reserves it for marriage.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but I believe it really up to the two of you ^__^ How do you two TRULY feel about all of this?

If there's any doubts at all (as it kinda sounds like now), then you should wait. The littlest glimps of doubt can be Gods way of telling you to wait ^ ^

(I agree with toning this down a bit as well. Rose needs our help and we can't do that if this thread gets locked before it actually gets started :hug:)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 am

Something I've always wondered about is what technically constitutes "marriage." Certainly it can't be the slip of paper or governmental sanction. I doubt any form of ceremony would have existed at all for Adam and Eve, if they were literal or metaphorical. I'm not sure that it's the ceremony or the piece of paper that make you married.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:03 pm

I wonder about that myself, Etoh.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:32 pm

Hmmm, not trying to start anything, but it could be because marriage certificates cost money and we all know how money makes the world go round <sarcasm> u_u

Not sure if that made sense, but.. meh.. sorry ^ ^;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Marriage is constituted by a man and woman entering into a covenant relationship before God in which they pledge themselves completely to each other and solely to each other. This is typically done in a ceremony performed by a minister with witnesses now days. In Adam and Eve's case, since God quite literally "brought them together" and no other humans existed, no ceremony with others was needed. EDIT: Cause I can see where someone may take this, yes I would say God recognizes marriages that were made by people who are not Christians (as long as it is between man and woman, which I am not stating to start a debate here but rather saying that this is the majority Christian view and is found in Scripture). The definition I just gave is the definition of a Christian marriage.

By the way xblack_x_rosex I sent you a pm talking about a common view held by Southern Baptist (which is the denomination I attend, though I claim to be a Bible-believer who happens to agree with Southern Baptist on the key areas of Scripture, but not all) the purpose of which was to avoid making a debate on this thread on a highly controversial topic. I discussed other views respectably as well though I did state I disagreed with them. I also stated that their are multiple areas that even people of the same basic theology disagree on in this broad, controversial topic.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:00 pm

Getting back to the original question: as Radical Dreamer said, General is a fine place to ask your question unless you feel it's especially sensitive. If it is intensely personal, the Prayer Forum might be a better location.

With that having been said, this thread is done. Question answered, everyone move along until she makes her actual thread with a specific topic. As I think the previous posts have shown, "Sex - go" is not a good way to start a discussion.
uc pseudonym

Return to General