Space Channel 5

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Space Channel 5

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:38 pm

Ok, I know that Aaron and Steve are probably laughing at me already.

After convincing him that I could not survive the wait for Soul Caliber 2, my good friend lent me his Dreamcast. Being the generous soul that he is, he also packed lots of games with it. One of them was Space Channel 5.

At first, I only took time to laugh at the concept of the game, along with the name of the main character. Then I put it in and tried it. Somewhere between laughing at the music and being impressed with the smooth graphics and motion captures ... I found that I had been playing the game for 2 hours. What's more, I liked it quite a lot.

What do you guys think. Is it deceptively addictive, or am I not nuts and it really is a fun game?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:48 pm

You are not nuts. I saw it in the bargain bin for $5 and said even though it looks kooky I can't pass it up, and I ended up blowing an entire afternoon on it. That big pink blob moved too erratically for me, though (just because I dance erratically in real life doesn't mean I can match erratic dance moves ;) ).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:36 pm

Good! Always nice to know you're not crazy. My brother told me last night that a Japanese Pop singer is suing the makers of the game, because I guess Ulala matches her looks and dance moves. I have no idea where he got his info, but I found that interesting.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:07 pm

I wouldn't be surprised. It really has a very J-Pop style to it.

One thing the game does very well is blend pre-rendered backgrounds with the characters. It really does do a very good job showing off the DC's capabilities. How far did you get, anyway?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:19 pm

Beginning of the second level ... (I had to re-do the first level so many times because my rating was really low). I was playing fine until I started thinking about what I was doing. Somehow it's easier to play that game with half your brain shut off. All you need is your ears, thumbs, and you eyelids to blink once and a while.

My final attempt to rescue hostages went something like this:

Up down up up ... left left left up down ... ... up up ... right up right down down ... up shoot left shoot shoot ...*Gypsy tips over in a death-like state while still grasping the DC controller*
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:12 pm

Sigh...next think ya know Ami is gonna be a DDR fan...*eye roll*
Stephen

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:07 pm

I spent a few minutes on that game..... and more watching it cause Sam liked it so much.... erg . the game definatly has a fun factor but man.... i hate the music. And it dosn't help my butten presses are always off EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK RIGHT TO ME!!!.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:14 pm

That *did* drive me nuts -- you actually have to be a tad bit *ahead* of the beat in order to properly do some sequences, which is somewhat irritating.

shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:32 pm

I'd like to try DDR ...
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:51 am

DDR is available for PS2, isn't it? (Haven't checked.)

shooraijin

Postby BrianC » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:52 pm

I used to have this game, but I tried to buffer the disc and it stopped working. I loved it, though. It was a very fun rythm game. I prefer DDR, though. DDR is on PS2, but I only have the first PSX version. I don't even have PS2 yet.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:25 am

Shoo showed me this one once. That was enough. :) I guess I just can't deal with these kinds of games because my brain's rythm lobe was cross wired to my william shatner dramatic reading node from watching too much Star Trek.
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:44 am

Hate it when that happens.
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:59 pm

He does that a lot. It's easier to understand if you know him personally. :grin:

shooraijin

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:42 pm

"Is that a Robot? I can't tell.
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby shooraijin » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:20 pm

Well, obviously, as you can see from the above, I have SC5 for the DC. Haven't had much time to play *anything* on the DC lately though ... I was intending to sink some serious time in on Grandia 2 but that sort of went by the wayside.

shooraijin

Postby Icarus » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:13 pm

I fully intend to get part II for the PS2. Once I have money.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:56 pm

Ahh well I have something to
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Icarus » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:50 pm

Volt wrote:Ahh well I have something to tell ya... It's NOT Space Channel 5 Part 2....Oh no. that's a misconception. It's NOT a sequal in any way...

Space Channel 5 Special Edition

At http://www.Compusa.com for only $12.35 everywhere else $29.99

They Sold Out :waah!:
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:21 am

sold out.
Fsiphskilm

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews