The White Mage Debate

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

The White Mage Debate

Postby Vyse » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:29 pm

Well since SquareEnix is releasing remakes of FF1+FF2 on GBA, I thought I might bring back the age old question of contraversy, is White Mage male or female? And do you think SquareEnix will ever provide us with an offical answer?
Vyse

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:10 pm

I dunno.... I'll go with the 8-bit theatre comics and say, "female". ^^
Link Antilles

Postby Spencer » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:21 pm

Yeah, I think it's a girl too.
:)
Spencer

Postby Elric_kun » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:45 pm

i think it(notice how i say "it") is a girl
Elric_kun

Postby Omega Amen » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:56 pm

Vyse wrote:Well since SquareEnix is releasing remakes of FF1+FF2 on GBA, I thought I might bring back the age old question of contraversy, is White Mage male or female?
I always thought that the White Mage is a female. Maybe it is my wishful thinking....
Vyse wrote:And do you think SquareEnix will ever provide us with an offical answer?
I sincerely doubt it. I do not see how answering this question will benefit them.

*looks at previous posts.*

So far, only men have posted on this subject. Do any of our fellow CAA ladies have an opinion on the original Final Fantasy White Mage?
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:23 pm

Maybe it's one of those... "morphors" that can... :sweat: "change"... I know baby aligators do that.

Seriously though, It's a Girl. I think in all the Final Fantasies the Girls have always been the White Mages. I think the Japanese see this job as a feminane one.

:shady: I don't care I'd love to be a white mage.
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Saint » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:32 pm

Geez... i thought it was an elephant creature... turns out that it wasn't a trunk but a pattern on the robe... however i thought it was a guy cause the artwork that shows the 4 warriors seemed like men... or am i mistaken... its been quite a while.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:46 pm

In the original Final Fantasy (NES version), I always thought that the white mage looked female but the white wizard (that is, white mage grown up) looked male. Figure that one out if you dare.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Straylight » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:14 pm

I definately think the white mage is female. Take a look at FFX -- the black mage is Lulu, and the white mage is Yuna (look at the clothes and see how they are similar - eg. those red fringed sleeve things that Yuna wears)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby MasterDias » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:40 am

Volt wrote:Maybe it's one of those... "morphors" that can... :sweat: "change"... I know baby aligators do that.

Seriously though, It's a Girl. I think in all the Final Fantasies the Girls have always been the White Mages. I think the Japanese see this job as a feminane one.

That's not totally true as you could have male White Mages in Final Fantasy Tactics...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Lightbringer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:55 am

well this is easily taken care of. We'll preform a little experiment, we'll give IT a bunch of soda, take it too the rest room, and see if it chooses the urinal or the stall. problem solved. :thumb:

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby MasterDias » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:59 am

Right...

What a lovely idea.
:eyebrow:
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:28 pm

But what if..
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:17 pm

Three posts and there goes the topic...

I have only three things to add on this subject, not necessarily helpful:
1) The White Wizard (upgraded White Mage) is male.
2) FFIII states its main characters are four boys and if you change them to the White Mage class they look the same as the White Mage of I and II.
3) Concept art I have seen of White Mage (of this I am uncertain) was female.

So ah well.
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:00 pm

TheMelodyMaker wrote:In the original Final Fantasy (NES version), I always thought that the white mage looked female but the white wizard (that is, white mage grown up) looked male. Figure that one out if you dare.

White mages have flowy robes and their heads are covered so it's hard to tell gender. They sort of look feminine because of the robes, but it's black mages' hats and "faces" that make them look masculine, though their robes are essentially the same... I think White mage is a male, for the very fact that the White wizard looks like a man. It's the same person, just "upgraded." It was only our imaginations, a bad iconic representation, and the undetailed sprite that made people think they were female... All of the playable characters in FF1 are male. Of course, they were made for us to project ourselves on (Hmm... So final fantasy used to be one of THOSE kind of RPG's, eh?) so it may have been left ambiguous on purpose.

EDIT: UC: "3) Concept art I have seen of White Mage (of this I am uncertain) was female."

Who's art? Was it the guy who did the art for FF6? (actually, every FF before 7) I'm trying to find some of his art for the white mage, but I can't find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:01 pm

Why don't we
Fsiphskilm

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:59 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:EDIT: UC: "3) Concept art I have seen of White Mage (of this I am uncertain) was female."

Who's art? Was it the guy who did the art for FF6? (actually, every FF before 7) I'm trying to find some of his art for the white mage, but I can't find it.

I can't answer those questoins, which is why I was so uncertain. It was only a glance, attached to FF3 in some way. However, it could well have been decent fan art, or I could be completely mistaken.
uc pseudonym

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews