RPGs that are just plain ... odd

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

RPGs that are just plain ... odd

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:32 pm

Weirdest rpg I ever played was Terranigma for the SNES.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:36 pm

Actually, that whole series is weird. Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma were fun to an extent but some things in those games were just plain strange.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:57 pm

Strange?? i liked everyone of those games. come on now, you guys... :shady:
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby inkhana » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:29 pm

Aw, I liked Illusion of Gaia! It wasn't HALF as strange as Earthbound (also a good game, though)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:24 pm

yeah, earthbound was unique.

i thought about it and i think that one of the odd rpgs for me was Megaman Legends. its not bad at all and i grew to like it quite a lot, but it was maybe just crazy for me to play a Megaman game that was rpg. while M.man doesn't level up all his gear does so you need a lot of money. (i guess the M.man Battle network games were original as well, but i didn't like them as much.)
Saint

Postby Spencer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:51 pm

Did I hear Earthbound?

That game is awesome! It is as unique as...Other unique stuff. >_> Anyway, it is very odd, the whole "normal town normal kid normal beat-em-with-a-baseball-bat-and-yo-yo" thing was interesting. I loved it.
:)
Spencer

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:38 pm

I tried to play Earthbound .. I really did. It didn't perk my interest at all .. in fact, my interest sat back and laughed at it. Guess I'll stick to my other rpgs.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:44 pm

Paladins Quest 2 on the snes, that game was messed up, the graffics were horrible ( snes was cool and graffics aren't everything but this was just plane bad.) anyway. The story was messed up, and the fighting was actually in first person. You could choose to attack with anything , ycause you had a list of all your possible body parts to choose from. you couldn't attack with your belt though.... thats too bad . WHIP! HEEYA LITTLE MONSTA!

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:08 pm

I loved Earthbound!

BTW I liked Paladin's Quest for all those different characters you could have. An updated version with MUCH better graphics and sound would be much appreciated (~.^ ;) are you listening Square Enix? ;) )

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:16 am

Shadowrun. SNES one.

even though it's my favourite, it still is one weird RPG. kind of like the movie The Matrix, but better.
LorentzForce

Postby MillyFan » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:17 am

I soooooo wanted to play Shadowrun for the SNES, but I didn't. Wonder why?

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:25 am

do tell :)
LorentzForce

Postby Straylight » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:06 am

Played thru about half the Genesis version of Shadowrun. The whole thing is like something straight out of a Gibson novel.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Saint » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:43 am

Shadowrun was great. i really did like the game.... it was an intresting "world." magic and automatic weapons... which makes me think of a starnge game that i only borrowed for a week or so... Persona. the bad thing about that is that it is so heavy into the occult. but everytime you used your "power" "Persona!" hehe, thats still in my head.
Saint

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:16 am

yah definately shadowrun for the snes....

that game weirded me out by the end of it.....all the shamanic cybernetic stuff.....i did enjoy it though.

i actually used to play the oldschool paper and dice version of shadowrun when i was in highschool......cool stuff as long as the guy running the game wasn't a moron:shady:
HeavensTek

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:21 am

haha....Noz i just noticed your tag about the RIAA boycott....

i'm soooo with you on that man....

down with the nazi music killers.....

:evil:

viva la file sharing!!
HeavensTek

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:38 pm

Shadowrun was weird, all right. but strangely fun...
LorentzForce

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:19 pm

I have an addiction to Eternal E
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Will Smith, Jr » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:37 am

DragonQuest one on the NES was somewhat strange. Sword of Vermillion on Sega Genesis though not a true RPG still had a weird feel. Phantasy Star III had a good concept with the generations but somehow ended up very weird with the alternate endings.

WillieDoc
Will Smith, Jr

Postby cbwing0 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:49 am

Weirdest RPGs, eh? Let me think...

Well I would say that most RPGs are weird, because they try to make up goofy names, monsters, items, plotlines, etc., but there are a few that stand out.

Phantasy Star Online-The MAG system was rather weird, as were most of the actual MAG's names (come on...Bhirava, Nandin, Rudra...the list goes on and on).

Pokemon-Most of the monsters are odd, especially Chansey, Machoke, and "MissingNo."

Of course, these were good RPGs, but they tried too hard to be creative and just ended up being weird.
cbwing0

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:27 am

???How could you play an RPG on your G
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:45 am

cbwing0 wrote:Weirdest RPGs, eh? Let me think...

Well I would say that most RPGs are weird, because they try to make up goofy names, monsters, items, plotlines, etc., but there are a few that stand out.

Phantasy Star Online-The MAG system was rather weird, as were most of the actual MAG's names (come on...Bhirava, Nandin, Rudra...the list goes on and on).

Pokemon-Most of the monsters are odd, especially Chansey, Machoke, and "MissingNo."

Of course, these were good RPGs, but they tried too hard to be creative and just ended up being weird.

MissingNo is a placeholder and a cheat-device barrier (virus). It's not a real Pokémon... If you catch it, it will wreck your game... Otherwise, I didn't find Pokémon to be that strange. It was pretty simple, actually, though it was marketing genius (why didn't anyone think of selling different editions that could interact? Now they need to do that on console with other things besides Metal Gear Solid/castlevania or silent hill 3/2 and the other konami games... And, they need better interactions than small things like in those games!)

As for Genesis not saving, I believe Genesis would save just like the SNES: With a battery built into the cart. Didn't toejam and earl save? I didn't play all that many genesis games.

Shadowrun was great! Wasn't it a novel to begin with? I usually don't get into american games, but Shadowrun was interesting. I think it is also a PnPRPG like Dungeons and Dragons, and there is much more to the story/mythos than just what's in the video game.

CB wing: While I love RPG's, for some reason I'll have to agree with you about "trying to hard to be creative" I have my little spiel on worshipping the god of Creativity. I, instead, want to worship the creative God. Hahaha... Christianese... Sorry...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Keito-chan » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:14 pm

Oh man it took me ages to rmb what the game was called but did anyone ever play 'Ephemeral Fantasia' I really did not like that game, it was weird...also really hard. I kept getting lost :S
Keito-chan

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:09 pm

Well, it got fairly bad reviews, I believe...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews