Favorite UnPopular Games

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Favorite UnPopular Games

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:00 pm

Well there are TONS of
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:04 pm

Does anyone play Blood Wake or Kabuki Warriors, for Xbox? I've never met anyone who owns either of these games.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:51 pm

Panzer Dragoon Orta that was a over looked game for the X-box that I loved. Hmmm....others? Double Dragon for the Snes, The Bomberman series, Command and Conquer: Renegade, that's all I can think of right now...
Link Antilles

Postby Spencer » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:30 pm

Tokyo Xtreme Racer for the Dreamcast. No one knows about it, but it's such a neat game.
:)
Spencer

Postby Technomancer » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:34 pm

Cybermage- noone's ever heard of this game, but it's one of the best 3d shooters ever made.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:36 pm

O'yeah, how can I forget.... Tales of Phantasia! That was an awesome game that very few people I know have played!
Link Antilles

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:30 pm

Ooh! ToP... Yeah, it never got a US release, but I played it in ROM form a while back... The second SNES game i ever played to have a lyrical theme song (first was one of the "Clayfighter" games) and the very first to not suck (the song, I mean)

Honestly, while it's not severely underrated, I honestly don't understand how people could rate Seiken Densetsu 4 higher than 3... I can understand 2, because for many people, that was their first RPG, but 4 was horrible and didn't fit in with the other 3... SD3 is my favorite SNES game. Now that I'm trying to stay legal, I hope it sees a rerelease like part 1 did... Even though I know I wouldn't like the translation (like what happened with FF5... I can't play it on the playstation because of the Woolsey hack job)

Hmm... A game I like that never got popular enough to make it to the US (though a bad clone of it called "PacMan 2" made it here minus the more interesting features) is "Wonder Project J"

As for underrated american games? I LOVED secret of evermore. I spent hours figuring out how to trick people in the market so I could make money, and leveling my stone throw potion thing so I could have a cheap, but very powerful, attack. And who can hate a dog that's a toaster? Obviously a lot of people, because it's one of the most hated RPG's ever made (other than 7th Saga 2) Maybe the story wasn't as epic as it's mama, SD2 (aka "Secret of Mana") but it was a fun game in its own right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:55 pm

Seth Able's Legend Of the Red Dragon.

I acutally purchased the full version for a board I ran one time. But now I'm REALLY dating myself. Hmm... Where IS that game anyway...?
Mithrandir

Postby Straylight » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:02 pm

Shadowrun on Genesis... :)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:18 pm

:O Shadowrun!!! That game was COOL!
Mithrandir

Postby calcnerd256 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:47 pm

one word: cubivore
/\/\3554!4|-| '/45|-|u4 !5 10r|) 0|= 411

610r'/ 910r'/
|-|4131uj4
|-|3 r3!9|\|z0rz
Code: Select all
   _
 _\ \_
|\_   _\
\|_|\ \|
   \ \_\
    \|_|
calcnerd256

Postby Roll » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:43 am

I'm not sure how popular it was in its time, but I really enjoyed Princess Tomato and the Salad Kingdom for the 8-bit NES! Most people have never heard of it....
[color="YellowGreen"]Got a Wii? PM me to trade numbers! ^^[/color]

[color="Yellow"]As a supporter of MOES, I would like to take this opportunity to kindly ask that the content of your signature be kept to a minimum as a courtesy to your fellow forum members. Thank you![/color]
Roll

Postby MillyFan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:53 am

Paladin's Quest on SNES. It was a good game, all those characters were cool, the plot was OK but could have been better, and the music and graphics were NES type. . .

I think a remake with a better plot and much better graphics and sound would be great. :)

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:41 am

i agree with MillyFan. i too finished Paladin's Quest... well, it honestly was so bad i can't remember the storyline anymore (all i can remember is being in this place where i'm trapped with this invulnerable monster...). and characters barely. truly a game where i'll never play it again. unlike most RPGs.

i even finished playing Sailor Moon - Pretty Solidier. not twice, three times. oh i am so sad...
LorentzForce

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:15 am

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (prequel to Mega Man Legends). Even though it's nothing like any Mega Man game I've ever played, it's actually quite good. That's Capcom for you. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:21 pm

Woah man, watch it..
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:48 pm

Heh. I think FFX had better graphics than FFX-2. All things concidered, that was pretty funny from that perspective. I actually saw a copy of Bouncer at EB for about 10 bucks the other day. I didn't have any cash, so I didn't get it, but I thought of you, Volt.
Mithrandir

Postby Locke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:54 pm

ummmmm.......

initial D second stage
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:38 am

Dreamcast (The most underrated system ever):
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand-One of the best multiplayer games of all time, with simple controls, and a ton of characters. There is also a lot of stuff to unlock, giving it tons of replay value. You could play ffa's, team battle, boss battle, or other cool things. The graphics were also pretty good. It also had an interesting dynamic of melee vs. range characters, which was intense given to large size of the multiplayer levels.

Power Stone 2-One of the most innovative fighting games ever made. You had dozens of weapons, interactive levels, stages that changed mid-game, stylish characters, and tough bosses. With 4 players, the game became quite fun and challenging.

Playstation:
Brigandine-A fantasy strategy game with rpg elements. You played as the ruler of one of 5 kingdoms (6 w/gameshark ;) ), each one with a different storyline and personality. Your monsters and heroes gained experience, allowing them to change into a number of different classes. There were also side quests in which you could find items, new heroes, etc. The music also wasn't too bad. The nearest current analogue is advance wars, except this title has a lot more depth.

Playstation 2:
Street Fighter EX3-Most people gave this game average reviews when it came out, but it is difficult to understand why. It has the basic mechanics of SF games, with the addition of "meteor combos," which were ultra-powerful (and risky) moves that too off most of an opponent's life bar. You could have four players in tag matches, and, unlike the Capcom vs. SNK series, you could actually switch fighters in the middle of the match, and perform tag combos depending on your characters. This title also includes several fighters that are not found in any other SF game, giving SF veterans (like me) something new to master. It also had the tough 3 vs. 1 matches, which were perfect for honing your SF skills that you would later use to beat your friends. :grin:

Robotech: Battlecry-A cel-shaded shooter set in the Robotech universe. However, this is no ordinary shooter, since you are in control of a veritech fighter. That adds air combat, sniping, and assault elements to the standard shooter premise. You could unlock different veritechs and paint schemes by peforming certain (often difficult) tasks. The system for switching between battloid, guardian, and fighter modes is ingenious, and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the Robotech serise. It also has a good versus mode, allowing you to test your piloting skills against a human opponent. The graphics are excellent, and the space battles are simply awesome. On top of that, it includes the classic Robotech theme song. :thumb:
cbwing0

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:00 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Ooh! ToP... Yeah, it never got a US release, but I played it in ROM form a while back... The second SNES game i ever played to have a lyrical theme song (first was one of the "Clayfighter" games) and the very first to not suck (the song, I mean)

That whole series has been somewhat underated in the U.S. I've played both Tales of Phantasia(one of my top ten favorite RPGs) and Tales of Eternia(labeled Tales of Destiny II in the U.S.). The series, from what I've heard, has been pretty popular in Japan. There were a whole bunch of great games that were never brought to America; Star Ocean 1, Front Mission II, Tales of Phantasia, Seiken Densetsu 3, and others.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:12 pm

card...online... :sniffle:
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby madphilb » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:11 pm

I got a few that got good reviews, but seemed to not have been popular (nor nearly as popular as games like Half-Life)....

PC:
Outcast
Nocturne (not necessarily a favoriate, but a good game)
Gruntz
X: Beyond the Frontier

I may come back and expound on those titles (as to what they are).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:35 pm

Volt wrote:I'm Dieing to play that!!! Not only that but I don't know Japanese...BUT I'm also Dieing to Get Star Ocean 2...It's driving me crazy!!! But I don't want to use my credit card...online... :sniffle:

Online stores, or at least legitimate ones, have pretty heavy safety and security designed to prevent credit card identity theft or whatever it's called, if that's what you're worrying about.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:08 pm

Oh no, it's not that...
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby calcnerd256 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:57 am

heh

610r'/ 910r'/
|-|4131uj4
|-|3 r3!9|\|z0rz
   _
 _\ \_
|\_   _\
\|_|\ \|
   \ \_\
    \|_|
calcnerd256

Postby Taslin_Jewel » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:27 am

Cubivore, definitely. I love that game!
And also Skies of Arcadia: Legends for the Gamecube. For about a year or two Skies was my life, and it really bothered me that just about every time I mentioned it someone would say, "What on earth are you talking about?" or "What's 'Skies of Arcadia'?"
In a world shrouded in mystery, the winds of change begin to blow.

A proud member of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars and Darklight: Chronicles of Tairis.

"I'm a warrior-hero-adventurer-goddess who CAN'T SWIM, okay?!?!" ~Skye of Lynlora, from the video game Darkened Skye
Taslin_Jewel

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:22 pm

I've herd it lots of times...Of cours
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby calcnerd256 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:40 pm

so n ur area non-mainstream stuff is mainstream?

610r'/ 910r'/
|-|4131uj4
|-|3 r3!9|\|z0rz
   _
 _\ \_
|\_   _\
\|_|\ \|
   \ \_\
    \|_|
calcnerd256

Postby Kenchii » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:40 pm

Well. I am a collector of unpopular games. Haha! It came that way over the years. It seemed I was interested in games NOT popular at all! I was searching for rare,fun games that few Americans knew about. Not only because I wanted to be diffrent, but I was more in the Japanese-wacky gamming, while most of my friends were into Goldeneye 007 , or Half-Life.

I collected alot of rare games over the years, and sold many. But these games are not only unpopulair, but VERY VERY FUN. I mean, addictive!! I rather play these games then the newest popular game!

Here are the ones I own, are VERY FUN and unpopular:

Playstation:

Trap Gunnter - My all time favorite game ever created for any system in the world period.
Silhouette Mirage - action, adventure, anime shooter.
Rakugaki Showtime - super smash for playstation, mixed with Japanese wackyness.
Poy Poy - 4-Player fighter, like Powerstone 2.
Team Buddies - My second all time fave game created.
Evil Zone - Anime fighter, like tekken mixed with marvel vs. capcom.
Galerians - Horror, resident evil, mixed with the anime Akira.

Don't know if these titles count:

Micro Maniacs - racing, fighting, roadrash.
Tales of Destiny - cool rpg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dreamcast:

Powerstone 2 - 4-player brawfest
Cannon Spike - 2 co-ot adventure shooter, 3rd person.
Tech Romancer - mech fighting from famous anime series.

Don't know if these titles count:

Bomberman Online - 3D bomberman, nuff said.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Gypsy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:11 pm

Tales of Phantasia for SNES was great! I, like Bob, played the ROM. I loved the battle system, and the story kept me hooked until the the end.

[Ps2]Gungriffon Blaze - I think it was a Saturn remake - a very fun mech game indeed (and I don't even really like this genre, so that should say something right there!).

[PC]Lords of the Realm II - I played the fudge out of that game.

[PC]Tachyon - the Fringe - It was great! Like an rpg flight sim! Bruce Campbell fans have probably heard of it, but it's not that well known.

[PS1] Tales of Destiny II - one of the sequels to the Tales of Phantasia. Awesome rpg.

[PC]Delta Force - another game that got the fudge played out of it

[SNES] Terranigma (I doubt I spelled that right) it was ... very odd, but I liked all the weapons you could get.

[Ps1]Lunar SSSC, and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue - Saturn remakes of rpgs. The graphics weren't very good, and the battle system was simply and dull - but the story of the first one ... wow! The anime cut-scenes were excellent as well.

I'll think of more later, I'm sure. Basically any game by Working Designs or Game Arts is going to get played by yours truly.

Side note for those who liked Tales of Phantasia - Bummer that it never made it here .. they could have changed those few little lines ... I've heard that there's an anime based on the game. Anyone know anything about it?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews