Magic games

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Magic games

Postby wiggins » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:08 am

Is it OK to play games with magic in them as Christians?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:08 pm

I would say yes. As long as you don't play it to learn sorcery, or accept it as efficacious, it is fine.

Just think about it this way: many of the Asian martial arts are linked to eastern religions/philosophies such as Buddhist, Taoism, Confucianism, and Shintoism. Does that mean you accept those religions by practicing martial arts? Of course not (unless you want to, but I don't think that is a problem here)! Just as the martial arts are purely secular warrior disciplines, games with magic in them are purely secular sources of entertainment.

I played Magic: The Gathering for many years, and I had no problems with it.

I suppose the only reason that you would want to avoid games with magic in them is if you had previously been involved with the occult, and were more open to that type of temptation; but, even then, it is between you and God.
cbwing0

Postby MasterDias » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:17 pm

My 2 cents:

Yes, while there are some Christians who would disagree with me, I believe fantasy games are fine for Christians to play. The "magic" in them is stuff like throwing fireballs and causing earthquakes, stuff that has no basis in reality whatsoever. You couldn't learn witchcraft or whatever from games like Final Fantasy whether you wanted to or not.

There are probably a few exceptions to this here and there but it's safe to say that 98% of fantasy games are harmless.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:54 pm

For the most part yes, but I personally think it depends on the person's mind set and maturity level. There are some people out there that are easily affected by certain games and become absorbed into their little world. What I'm trying to say is most "magic" game are harmless if you realize it's just fantasy. Magic is the same as the force stuff in starwars. It's just superhuman abilities and such. I'm not really a fan a using magic in RPGs, I like the brute force stuff.
Link Antilles

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:38 pm

Hm...I see. Thanks, madphilb, for showing me this thread.

You see, I've had a problem deciding whether or not it was alright to play games with magic in them for quite a while. I mean, I've considered myself Christian since third grade when I first got saved, but then, I was too young to really understand. Now I've gotten way deeper into the Bible and such, but I'm still a young Christian, both physically and spiritually. I don't mean to brag, but my parents say I'm smart, and I make strait A's in school, and they've said about the same thing you guys have. They said that a person like me reallly wouldn't be affected by magic in games unless I let my guard down. And that's something I don't do. I think I've gotten a little off topic here, and I've bragged some, and I HATE bragging...I dislike conceited people.

Either way, this topic has helped me decide alot. But, I realize I cannot depend on other Christian's advice alone, since we all make mistakes. I should still stay strong with God and determine with him whether it's okay for me to do it or not.

Lol, I gotta a little dramatic there....sorry, heh.
Destroyer2000

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:36 pm

I believe there is a difference between fantasy sorcery and occultic sorcery. Occultic sorcery involves power evoked through demonic influence, which is strictly condemned in the bible. Fantasy sorcery, however, is different. The magic in a game, like, say, Final Fantasy or Crono Trigger probably wouldn't exactly be magic obtained through 'demons'. However, it's entirely up to each person's personal convictions. I would say exercise extreme caution when playing games where the character's use 'realistic' magic that involves 'demons', 'chanting', or pentagrams and other occultic objects.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:03 pm

Hm...Morrowind doesn't have any occultic signs in it like pentagrams. Of course, if you download a patch for the computer version with one in it, that's a different story...there's this really cool patch that has a "Summoning Room" with one of those stars-inside-a-circle thingies. If I want that Mod, I'll just delete that part from it. Morrowind doesn't have really ritual magic, it's more like the 'wave your hands and watch it go' magic.

My preacher was talking about the New Age Cult and how it's ways of thinking have influenced Christians into thinking sinful stuff is alright. But if it's a game you're doing it in, and not real life, does it really matter? I mean, I never intend to get involved with witchcraft or anything of that sort; I'm STRONGLY against Harry Potter. In games I do use it occasionally, mostly teleportation, and that doesn't encourage me to do it in real life.

One thing though; in the Bloodmoon Expansion, the....
[spoiler] cure for werewolfism involves some witches and some ritual, from what I understand, but I'm not quite sure. You don't have to become a werewolf, though, so... [/spoiler]
Destroyer2000

Postby Stephen » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:26 pm

Personal conviction...if you feel bad about playing a magic game...don't. Everyone will feel different about things. Personaly, I feel if its just a fantasy thing...I don't have an issue with it. If you spend all day long playing it...and it effects parts of your life...I would say you have a problem and need to stop. But like I said...everyone will feel different and needs to decide on somthing like this for themself.
Stephen

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:36 pm

Guys, there's other threads with the exact same question.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:26 am

Is there anyway to stop feeling bothered while playing magic games? I mean, lots of games have it in them, and those are the fun games, usually. Would becoming stronger in faith stop you from being bothered?
Destroyer2000

Postby inkhana » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:44 am

If you're feeling bothered, it's a sign that God's telling you to stop what you're doing and turn to Him. It may not be for the sole reason that there's magic, but it is not a feeling that should be brushed aside or "overcome" necessarily. The thing to do would be to pray about it and find out what He wants you to do. If He gives you the green light, then by all means, enjoy freely. But those feelings are His way of trying to get your attention for some reason or another.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:51 am

Yea, I don't get why some
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:07 pm

I don't always feel bad about playing it, but at certain times I do. My preacher was talking about how we would do something wrong for so long that it wouldn't feel wrong anymore. I'm wondering if that's how it is...besides magic, the game has some drug references, alchohol, one woman who says she is an entertainer and will "reward" you if you help her (referring to sex, I believe), there is a strip club, but you don't have to go there. One Fighter's Guild Quest requires you to, and there is a quest about a lost slave or something from a drunken man in there. How would I know whether or not God said yes or no after I pray about?
Destroyer2000

Postby inkhana » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:02 pm

Well, sometimes the answer is nothing more than a "twitch" of conscience. But the sheer fact that you've wondered about it may be an answer in itself. But like you (and your preacher) said, it's very easy to harden our hearts and not be able to hear when God is speaking to us, so it feels "right" or, more accurately, "not wrong".

If it does continue to bother you, you might try stepping back from it a while. Sometimes things are clearer when you spend a little time away from the source of the problem, so you might consider it a "game fast" (there are all kinds of fasts...^^) Or maybe a different game? But most definitely pray during this time, so that you can find your individual tolerance level...^^

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Retten » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:11 pm

Chris4150 wrote:I believe there is a difference between fantasy sorcery and occultic sorcery. Occultic sorcery involves power evoked through demonic influence, which is strictly condemned in the bible. Fantasy sorcery, however, is different. The magic in a game, like, say, Final Fantasy or Crono Trigger probably wouldn't exactly be magic obtained through 'demons'. However, it's entirely up to each person's personal convictions. I would say exercise extreme caution when playing games where the character's use 'realistic' magic that involves 'demons', 'chanting', or pentagrams and other occultic objects.

I agree with this 100% nice job Chris and If you feel bad when your playing any game with magic then it probally is bad!

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:59 pm

Hm...it's really strange. I mean, I get so excited about what's awaiting me in the game, and don't really have that little twitch. Then sometimes, I do feel bad about playing it. I don't really see why that happens...
Destroyer2000

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:47 am

IMHO, magic is best avoided on the grounds that as one gets immersed in the assorted games, then the mindset can start to encroach on real life. One can start thinking, "gosh it would be easy to just wave a wand and have my housework done" or "I wish I could fireball those bullies". The problem arises that even if it is a fantasy solution, we start looking to the fantasy instead of the real solutions from the Bible. Having said all that, it is up to each person how they handle the choice, and the person we have to answer to is not here on Earth, but God in Heaven.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:49 pm

righteous_slave wrote:IMHO, magic is best avoided on the grounds that as one gets immersed in the assorted games, then the mindset can start to encroach on real life.

Well, I played Magic: The Gathering regularly for about three years (I still have the cards, and play occasionally), and I have to say that nothing like this has happened to me. I also watch plently of "fantasy" movies/anime, played video games, and read books that might fall into this category, and I have yet crack a "real" spell book, use a ouija board, or anything else that could be considered an occult practice. In addition, I consider myself to be a practical man; so I don't look for fantasy solutions to my problems. Most importantly, I am prepared to answer for my actions if they are found to be sinful.

I suppose the thing the keep in mind is that if you are generally a weak person, then there is a chance you will be drawn into the occult by playing "magic" games. If you had a history of involvement in the occult before you came to Christ, it would probably be a good idea not to tempt yourself with games; but, if this is not the case, there shouldn't be a problem. It is different for each person, but I still believe that fantasy games are safe for most people.
cbwing0

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:16 pm

I agree with both Righteous slave and Inkana
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby righteous_slave » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:14 am

"IMHO, magic is best avoided on the grounds that as one gets immersed in the assorted games, then the mindset can start to encroach on real life. "

Note: I said "can" not "does automatically". My major point is that as believers we are already under constant attack by the enemy, so why should we choose to swing a door wide open for him into our thought processes? I do not think that playing Magic, D&D, Final Fantasy or whatever is a sentence to hell, nor do I judge those belevers who choose to play. I have my opinion, my foundations for aforementioned opinion, and share that with others.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:42 am

righteous_slave wrote:I have my opinion, my foundations for aforementioned opinion, and share that with others.

As do I, but that doesn't solve the problem.

I would challenge the assumption that these things tempt everyone who engages in them. For some (like myself) they are not a temptation; therefore, there is nothing wrong with them. They may not be right in the sense that they do no positive good in themselves (other than improving grammar, vocabulary, problem solving skills, teamwork, and providing a potential forum for reaching others for Christ), but the same can be said of many things.
cbwing0

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:42 pm

I love RPG's because they are deep and immersive, and you don't just zip through them in a few hours like some games. They can last a long time. Just don't let the fantasy merge with reality.
Azier the Swordsman

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews