Total Annihilation

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Total Annihilation

Postby Straylight » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:01 pm

What a great game this is.. I just had a dig through the crates and pulled it out. 7 years old and it's still a total classic.. very nice, balanced gameplay, loads of add-ons, just an overall awesome game.

For those of you that don't know, it's a strategy game that came out some time after Red Alert. The cool thing about TA was that it had literally hundreds of units, allowing multiple approaches to winning. The graphics were pretty good for their time, and still look quite nice today. Nice soundtrack as well.

If you haven't got this then you don't know what you're missing.. and if you have, then you know what I'm talking about!

[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:19 pm

I have Total Annihilation, awesome game! It's right up there with Starcraft for me. O'yeah, the maps were soooo freaking huge and it still run on my old PI system. It's got some fairly nice mods out too.

My favorite side was the ARM. What was yours?
Link Antilles

Postby Straylight » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:27 pm

I prefer the ARM too, mainly because they have something called a "Brawler".
However there were a few hacks/mods later on that introduced some pretty crazy units... lol
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Razgriz » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:00 pm

This game is still my fav. strategy game, because it's pretty realistic (bombing runs by bombers, etc) and it has a lot of units.

I like both sides, I think the Krogoth is especially cool, along with the Vulcan Big Bertha.
Razgriz

Postby madphilb » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:42 pm

Someone gave me a copy of the original game (came with their computer or something and wasn't really their thing. I've since picked up the expansion pack for it as well.

The game gave me fits for the longest time, couldn't get much past the 2nd or 3rd level. After some reading and research (a few FAQs/Stratagy guides) I was able to take it all the way to the end of both games (and both sides).

The game just flat out rocks. (oh, and it's got a semi-3d terrain, much better than the C&C series, though those are good too).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby LorentzForce » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:14 am

i have the original and the expansion as well. one of those games i still have it installed on my computer because i might just feel like playing it again one day.

excellent game. put it on full graphics and on highest resolution, and it still runs mighty fine. all 3D, all sweet, so many units, so much strategy (actually, not really, since both sides are pretty much the same except a few units), i'd give it 96%+ if i were to review it.
LorentzForce

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews