Poll: The CAA NeverWinter Poll

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

What kind of NWN Mod would we like?

Total votes: 0

Poll: The CAA NeverWinter Poll

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:34 am

Hey All,
I posted a link in the nw area, and received a few IMs about it. If you guys really want a CAA NWN mod, maybe we can get a project started about it. So here's the poll. It's mission is two fold.

1. Who would be willing to contribute?
2. What would everyone want?

(Answer number 1 inline, number 2 in poll.)
Mithrandir

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:42 am

NWN and D&D is all about storyline and character development. no hack/slash; if you wanted that, mod Diablo 2. puzzles get annoying in the end, chat intensive is alright but not too much. quickie intro/exit?

i can help you. ask anything, and i'll try to help. i can work in concept ideas, such as what kind of weapons, monsters, events, storyline etc.
LorentzForce

Postby Tycho » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:12 am

Dnd is about character development and not hack n slash??? I hope that was a tongue in cheek comment. DnD is based on hack n slash. You know, go into the DUNGEON and kill the DRAGON. :thumb:

Not to say you couldn't run anything else. With a good GM and player group, you could have a very non-HnS game. And that would be something I would be very interested in
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:20 am

hack and slash as in killing 20 knights in armour in a single turn. like Diablo 2 style hack/slash.

but i guess that's not really worthwhile in NWN.
LorentzForce

Postby Straylight » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:24 am

First of all I think this is a really cool idea, and I'd be happy to contribute. To aid things, I could set up a shared FTP account to exchange module components. As for ideas, I think an interactive Narnia would be cool. To make it reusable, it could have a central portal area to move between different regions (eg. Calormen, Narnia, Underworld etc.) This portal area could be located in the Wood between the Worlds, or Uncle Andrew's (now abandoned) house, and there could be a message when you start "Like many people in the past, you have stumbled into Narnia" :D

Perhaps we could set up a dedicated server every weekend :)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Tycho » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:41 am

LorentzForce wrote:hack and slash as in killing 20 knights in armour in a single turn. like Diablo 2 style hack/slash.

but i guess that's not really worthwhile in NWN.

Ok. That I will agree with. You can't really do that in DnD, unless you use Cloudkill<grin>.

For my 2¢, I would prefer to do an online Pen and Paper game, using either some chat client or a forum. Reason 1 is I don't own NWN and have no desire to since Bioware let down that Mac community twice with NWN. Reason 2 is the possibilities with a PnP game are soooooo much greater than with a computer game. NWN may look prettier, but PnP is a lot more fun.
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Razgriz » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:46 am

I'll have to agree w/the people here, definately not hack n' slash. I've played too many of those types in real life, and it's making me sick. I was wondering, with the NWN engine, can you do a "battlefield engagement?" Note: I'm not being contradictory, there is a difference between one man vs. an army and an army vs. an army.
Razgriz

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:25 am

Tycho wrote:Reason 1 is I don't own NWN and have no desire to since Bioware let down that Mac community twice with NWN.

??? I don't get it... I use both Mac and PC versions. You can have both client versions logged in. I have a friend with a linux based server that allows multiple clients into the normal word.
Mithrandir

Postby Tycho » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:40 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:??? I don't get it... I use both Mac and PC versions. You can have both client versions logged in. I have a friend with a linux based server that allows multiple clients into the normal word.

I guess I was a bit vague. My disappointment is the lack of the toolset. Bioware was quoted as saying the Toolkit was 90% of the game. Both them and MacSoft said the Toolkit would be for the mac. I really wanted the toolkit. Without it, its just a poor single player game.

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Rashiir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:27 pm

It's all about the toolset.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Straylight » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:16 am

Yeah, you definatly need the toolset to make the most out of the game. Kinda sucks that they didn't release a Mac version.. oh well...
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:16 pm

Yeah. It also sucks that you cant launch the toolkit on a machine that is not powerfull enough to run the game. That seems kinda silly to me. What's the problem? Anyway, I'll look into seeing if the toolkit can function under Virtual PC so that I can do dev work on my new way-cool mac. Incidentally, if anyone is behind a firewall, they may have trouble connecting. Especially if it's a store-bought one. Just PM me if you get stuck.
Mithrandir

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:06 am

i found out that the toolkit is very, very resource incentive. a single .mod file could take me a long, long time to load. yes, around 30 minutes on a 1.4Ghz machine. it's not funny. or maybe they updated it and it's better now in terms of resource usage...
LorentzForce

Postby Tycho » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:06 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:Yeah. It also sucks that you cant launch the toolkit on a machine that is not powerfull enough to run the game. That seems kinda silly to me. What's the problem? Anyway, I'll look into seeing if the toolkit can function under Virtual PC so that I can do dev work on my new way-cool mac. Incidentally, if anyone is behind a firewall, they may have trouble connecting. Especially if it's a store-bought one. Just PM me if you get stuck.

'Fraid that won't work. The toolkit requires OpenGL or Direct3D (I forget) and VPC doesn't support 3D cards.

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews