Easter Eggs

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Easter Eggs

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:34 pm

Anyone know of some good secrets, inside jokes, and cameos that the programmers have cleverly inserted into games?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:39 pm

Here's one from The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, which is a spin-off of the Mega Man series. In level 1 of the Gold City mission, a cut-scene of the servbots plundering one of the houses has one of them turning on the television to find Mega Man as he appeared in the old NES games.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Zal-Utaon III » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:03 pm

It old netscape browsers you could change the N in the top right to be a Dragon.
In zelda Ocriena of time you can see mario and boswer.
Warcraft 3 has tons everywhare
"Gha Bah Glab.. Bah Bah ha.. The Foolish Samurai" -Aku
Zal-Utaon III

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:11 pm

Oh, I have a long list of those, but I'll share only a few for now. *Evil laugh*

The first ester egg was in the Atari game, Adventure. At that time, Atari wouldn't the programers put their names in they're game for some odd legal reason. So, the maker of Adventure hind his initials in the game. Sorry, I don't remember how to find the secret area.

One of my personal favorites is in War Craft III. If you click on any unit several times, they'll say something funny like a reference to Monty Python or Starwars and even Transformers. Every unit has at least five funny things to say.

g2g I'll post more later!
Link Antilles

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:20 pm

In Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, there's something you can do on the last level to make Indy turn into the main character from Escape from Monkey island, a fellow Lucas Art PC game. Also, if you shoot the bazooka, instead of a large flaming shell - out comes a meandering fried chicken.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:54 pm

majority of good CS maps have easter eggs in them. for example, you can fly in spectator mode in cs_italy, and find a room with a picture of a sheep and kings. or whatever. and you can hear the sheep's 'maa' when a new round starts.

so does de_dust2, and other countless amount of maps that have credits in them. some are serious, some are funny.
LorentzForce

Postby MillyFan » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:02 am

In FFVII (not recommending it BTW) there is a picture of Hironobu Sakaguchi in one of the houses in Rocket Town. Oh, also in FFVII: in Dio's collectible room in Gold Saucer, there is an Evangelion mech-the Magma Diver unit. It even has the same unit number.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:16 pm

Zelda 64:

When you meet princess Zelda for the first time in the garden and look trough the windows on the right or left you'll see a picture of Mario. Now, if you shoot the window a guard will toss a bomb at you.
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:49 pm

Along the lines of looking closely:

If you read all the signs in shogo, some of them are pretty funny. Some are engrish, and others are just odd. My favorite is the "Do you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome?" sign at the first military complex. Also, if you use the sniper rifle to zoom in on some signs, you can see that one is Minme and another is Priss.

Oh. And the guy selling Sauruses in Hero's Quest 2 is groucho marx. He'll sell you a brand new (for you) saurus!
Mithrandir

Postby Shinja » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:27 pm

the coolest one by far is MAX from sam and max in the original jedi knight.
hes in a house in one of the towns, its been so long since ive played it that i cant rember the name, but if you wait long engough out side a woman comes and unlocks the house and lets you in. max is just sitting there on a chair and if you shoot him he goes berzerk and starts shooting back, its awsome
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:57 pm

Mario RPG

Link cameo:
After you reach about the halfway point in the game, you can find Link in the Rose Town Inn.

Samus cameo:

When you are at the point anytime between Booster Tower and Star Hill, you can find Samus in Peach's room.
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:54 pm

In the same HQ game I m entioned above, you can read books in Keapon Laughin's shop. On the subject of magic: H, I, J, K elemental P.

After beating FFX, if you listen to the ending theme long enough, you'll hear the harp music from FFI.
Mithrandir

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:40 pm

War Craft III:
If you beat last mission on hard mode, during the cedits it will show a group of Terran Marines fighting off a bunch of Zerglings from Star Craft. You can also find 'em in the map editor.
C&C Renegade:
During the 2nd to last mission you can find a drawing of R2-D2 hidden in the center of the level on a stone wall.
Link Antilles

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:10 am

It seems that somebody at Nintendo likes old music, because in some of the games that they've put out you can hear at least one classical piece. In Tetris (NES), there's the "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy". In Kid Icarus, there's some old American patriotic tune (I don't know the name of it, though--it might be a Dixieland march from the Civil war). In StarTropics, you hear "God Save the Queen".

Now, those are games that were released 13-17 years ago; but apparently they still do it even after all this time! The second Hamtaro game has Moonlight Sonata, and the first one uses another classical tune (of which I don't remember the name; I'll post when I can find out).

Now that's an Easter egg if ever I've "heard" one! :lol:
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:22 am

In the original Diablo (Not for kids) there is a collection of cows above ground. If you and click on one, it will moo. If you keep clicking quick enough your character will say, "Yup. It's a COW!"
Mithrandir

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews