soul calibur 2

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:39 pm

Most the girls in Tekken are rather...erm hoish. Sad but true most video game ladies are not very lady like...*shrug* Sorry to say I don't pay a whole lot of notice to there pixiled "assets" I rather liked using Seung Mina just to jump up and down smacking people with her stick...lol...same with the red pants guy...(name escapes me) If you look at most video games....women are shown the same way...DOA games...Tekken, SC, it stinks but it won't stop me from playing a game. Just my 2 cents.
Stephen

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:30 am

Tekken's not near as bad as DOA, is it?
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:31 am

I'm just saying that even back to the days of fighting games on sega with mortal kombat and street fighter...chicks have always been presented the same way.
Stephen

Postby Razgriz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:49 pm

Michael wrote:Tekken's not near as bad as DOA, is it?

Nope, DOA is worst....aw heck they are both bad.
Razgriz

Postby Ashley » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:38 pm

I played the Xbox version at the mall yesterday, and I am not ashamed to say that Cassandra and I totally and completely kick butt. Eat that, Chris!
(I won 3 of the 4 rounds we played...button mashing dominates stupid memorizing codes)
Ashley

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:13 pm

Hmmmm... Your right. Maybe I'll get it sometime...
Michael

Postby Zal-Utaon III » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:23 pm

Im best with link and ivy, berserker and lizardman are good 2
why would i buy a game i can beat on a rental.
"Gha Bah Glab.. Bah Bah ha.. The Foolish Samurai" -Aku
Zal-Utaon III

Postby blue elf » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:42 pm

I haven't unlocked everything yet, but I'm working on it. ^^ My favorite characters at the moment are Link, Talim, Kilik, and Xianghua. I agree that a lot of female characters in fighting games are dressed in umm...not much and it bugs me sometimes since I'm a girl, but the only girl's outfits in SC2 that have really bugged me so far are Ivy's and Taki's normal costumes. I agree that Voldo is very freaky and is it just me or does anyone else think he sounds like a dying cow or something when you hit him??
-BlueElf :dance:
blue elf

Postby Razgriz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:45 pm

blue elf wrote:I haven't unlocked everything yet, but I'm working on it. ^^ My favorite characters at the moment are Link, Talim, Kilik, and Xianghua. I agree that a lot of female characters in fighting games are dressed in umm...not much and it bugs me sometimes since I'm a girl, but the only girl's outfits in SC2 that have really bugged me so far are Ivy's and Taki's normal costumes. I agree that Voldo is very freaky and is it just me or does anyone else think he sounds like a dying cow or something when you hit him??
-BlueElf :dance:

lol, now that you mention it, he does kinda
Razgriz

Postby shooraijin » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:01 pm

> Nope, DOA is worst....

I agree, DOA is far worse with the "fanservice" (I guess that term could be applied appropriately) than many other games of its ilk. It's a shame, because at least on the DC, I think DOA2's graphics and environments outshine Soul Caliber's (the model and environment textures are much higher resolution, the environments are multi-level, and the character polygon count is very high), and the gameplay is very good, particularly the Story and Survival modes (although SC has more variety and replayability -- once you've beaten DOA2, you can't really go anywhere, but the getting there is a lot of fun!).

Xbox's DOA Volleyball, of course, really proves this point. Just look at the cover graphic.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:42 pm

<Xbox's DOA Volleyball, of course, really proves this point. Just look at the cover graphic.>

No kidding mate. Street Fighter really started the tradition of faneservice in fighting game. (Chun-Li's fireball)
Michael

Postby Spencer » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:18 pm

Whoooooooo hoooo!

I just bought it for my cube! Rockin!

Totally awesome game. Stunning graphics, fun gameplay, and overall amazing. I use Nightmare the most, since everyone else is either too weak or too slow. If I can't be Nightmare, I use Link. But Nightmare is the greatest.
:)
Spencer

Postby Razgriz » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:24 pm

I'm still trying to get the hang of Nightmare though, got any tips, or combos for using Nightmare?
Razgriz

Postby Spencer » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:32 pm

Well, I never really try to do combos. Takes too long and then they end up killing me...But anyway, I keep my fingers on the horizontal/vertical slash buttons (A & Y for GCN, dunno about the other consoles) and hit those in combination with the control stick. That way, I get a combination of different moves. His throw is awesome, I use that as much as possible. Blocking isn't worth it, IMO, but that's me. Can't time it right. If there's an enemy in the air, you can usually hit him again with a vertical slash, which is neat. The vertical slash is what I usually use, 'specially when they're on the ground trying to recover, just whack em shamelessly. Kinda cheap, but very effective.
Spencer

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:55 pm

When your versing a actual person the block crucial, also on the higher difficulties. Me and my buddies play extra team mode alot. We're all pretty much equal, which is cool.
My team:
Mitsurugi (w/ Masamune), Raphael (w/ Queen's Guard), Nightmare (w/ Glam), Talim (w/ Soul Calibar), Cervantes, Seung Mina, Maxi, and of course... Link (w/ Razor Sword)!
Link Antilles

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:31 pm

well , I just got to play soulcalibur 2 today for the first time ( aside from the demo) and though i still hate the three system three charicter thing. The game did well in keeping the solid game play of the dreamcast alive. A long time ago i had a link to a site that told all the new charicters. and imeadiatly i picked Rapheal to be my new favorite, i wasn't let down. He fits me quite well. quick precise attacks. althought im in complete agreement with myself that he should have a main-gauche at least in like a different style of fighting for him. that would be cool. anyway. Its good they brought back the extra weapons they havn't had that since the original game soul edge (or was it blade, i cant remember now its been a long time) Some of the dialog is silly in it , especially the intro to the fight speach. thats horrible.

"He delicately flutters into the room like a butterfly , searching to smach his enemy to tiny bits."

ok thats not a quote but you can picture that guy saying it cant you. anyway. the games good and im glad. now if only i could use all three charicters without feeding corporate greed.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Kenchii » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:05 pm

Just beat the game! I bet many dont know of the original Soul Caliber's. Soul Edge/Soul Blade - for Playstation. Soul Caliber - Dreamcast (duh). ITs the best!. The best fighting game for GC. My favorite character is Voldo! I can beat anyone with him!! bwahahaha!!
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Kenchii » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:07 pm

shooraijin wrote:> Nope, DOA is worst....

I agree, DOA is far worse with the "fanservice" (I guess that term could be applied appropriately) than many other games of its ilk. It's a shame, because at least on the DC, I think DOA2's graphics and environments outshine Soul Caliber's (the model and environment textures are much higher resolution, the environments are multi-level, and the character polygon count is very high), and the gameplay is very good, particularly the Story and Survival modes (although SC has more variety and replayability -- once you've beaten DOA2, you can't really go anywhere, but the getting there is a lot of fun!).

Xbox's DOA Volleyball, of course, really proves this point. Just look at the cover graphic.

OMG! (ohmyGOSH) You guys! Fanserves?? gees, ... get over it. :shady: THAT IS WHAT MAKES UP ANIME/ANIME-GAMES! f*$@ing n00bs
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Lightbringer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:08 pm

Kenchii wrote:My favorite character is Voldo! I can beat anyone with him!! bwahahaha!!

wouldn't it be cool if you could play somebody over caa or something like that, i know its really not possible with this game, but id love to test my Raphael skills out on a larger variaty of people.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Spencer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:10 pm

That would be awesome. Online capability or somethin. THen we could have a big tournament or somethin, that would be so cool.
Spencer

Postby shooraijin » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:28 pm

OMG! (ohmyGOSH) You guys! Fanserves?? gees, ... get over it. :shady: THAT IS WHAT MAKES UP ANIME/ANIME-GAMES! f*$@ing n00bs

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the fact that it's in a lot of games doesn't mean it's acceptable, ne?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rashiir » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:20 pm

If only it was system link or something like that, then you could use Aquaduct or something like it.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby madphilb » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:49 pm

Lightbringer wrote: wouldn't it be cool if you could play somebody over caa or something like that, i know its really not possible with this game, but id love to test my Raphael skills out on a larger variaty of people.

For this you'll have to wait for DOA Online.

I read about it a few months ago (I guess) in GMR magazine, and since then they printed that the title was going to be delayed since Team Ninja was supposed to be concentrating on another project first. The problem is I can't seem to find any of it (some of my GMRs never made it to my bookshelf, so I'll have to hunt for them).

The title (XBox only) is going to be all of DOA and DOA2 rolled together with Online play thrown in to boot. The last XBox Mag (with the playable Voodoo Vince on the DVD) had a video of it on the disk.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:39 am

Kenchii wrote:OMG! (ohmyGOSH) You guys! Fanserves?? gees, ... get over it. :shady: THAT IS WHAT MAKES UP ANIME/ANIME-GAMES! f*$@ing n00bs

Hardly, hun. That's just a small part of it. Unfortunately, there are five or six people that will buy the game just for the fanservice, and the makers are kind enough to let the rest of us deal with it. Although not everyone finds it distasteful, most people actually get the game for the game, not the cleavage and cheeks.

I apologize for not catching this before. Kenchii, keep it up and see where it gets you.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:22 pm

Well, I have a suspicion he was joking. But Kenchii... I don't remember who said it, but a wise man once said "If they don't know you're kidding, you're doing it wrong."
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:34 am

Playing Soul Calibur did for me for Fighters what playing Halo with my friends did for FPS games... It made me say "Well, i was wrong, there is ONE good game in this Genre!" and I was very impressed... Even though I played it on that stupid Gamecube controller (I hate it) I still could tell how smooth the controls were, and how naturally everything felt... And, I just plain kicked butt! Wow... It was great...

Anyhow...

I hope I win the lotto tomorrow, but someone told me to do that I have to buy a ticket, but who REALLY knows, eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby otaku » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:14 am

great game on xbx at least i gotta buy this one
otaku

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews