Sword of Mana

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Sword of Mana

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:33 pm

Topic.
Does anyone besides myself have this yet?

Not the best in the series but I do think Square-Enix did a pretty good job on this remake.
I've been enjoying it so far.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Taslin_Jewel » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:37 pm

MasterDias wrote:Topic.
Does anyone besides myself have this yet?

Not the best in the series but I do think Square-Enix did a pretty good job on this remake.
I've been enjoying it so far.

I have it. I LOVE IT!!!! My life consists of eating, sleeping, school, computer and Sword of Mana. YAYAYAY!!!!
In a world shrouded in mystery, the winds of change begin to blow.

A proud member of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars and Darklight: Chronicles of Tairis.

"I'm a warrior-hero-adventurer-goddess who CAN'T SWIM, okay?!?!" ~Skye of Lynlora, from the video game Darkened Skye
Taslin_Jewel

Postby inkhana » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:37 pm

I've heard very mixed reviews about this game, and as a result I'm not sure about picking it up...I did enjoy what I played of Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3...do you guys think I would like it based on that?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Retten » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:02 pm

Yeah I havent picked it up yet either I have seen so many mixed opions on it :dizzy:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Taslin_Jewel » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:02 pm

WhiteBlaze wrote:Yeah I havent picked it up yet either I have seen so many mixed opions on it :dizzy:

I think it's totally worth it!
In a world shrouded in mystery, the winds of change begin to blow.

A proud member of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars and Darklight: Chronicles of Tairis.

"I'm a warrior-hero-adventurer-goddess who CAN'T SWIM, okay?!?!" ~Skye of Lynlora, from the video game Darkened Skye
Taslin_Jewel

Postby inkhana » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:16 pm

Cool! I want to get some more GBA games (gotta justify buying the SP by getting something besides Metroid Fusion...he he) I'll look into that.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:28 pm

Hmm, I remember the original Mana game. Is it anything like that?
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:32 pm

inkhana wrote:I've heard very mixed reviews about this game, and as a result I'm not sure about picking it up...I did enjoy what I played of Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3...do you guys think I would like it based on that?

Well, it's pretty enjoyable IMO. Technically, however, it is the weakest entry in the series.

If you liked SD 2 & 3 then you will probably like it although not as much since those are, in fact, much better(especially SD 3).

It's not the best GBA game that has come out this year but if you are looking for another good GBA game, I can give it my recommendation.

Hmm, I remember the original Mana game. Is it anything like that?

It's a remake of SD 1(called Final Fantasy Adventure in the states). However, some things are quite different so playing Sword of Mana will be a different experience.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:16 pm

Ok...

Sword of Mana is a COMPLETE remake of "Seiken Densetsu" aka "Final Fantasy Adventure" (it only had the "final fantasy" title attatched to it to sell better) SD was followed up by 3 sequals. SD2 was released in the US, after FFA had aquired a small following, as "Secret of Mana" It was greatly improved over SD in story, gameplay, and graphics. This game earned a MASSIVE following. Despite that, because of the rift between Nintendo and Square, the third game, SD3, never got released in the US... I consider SD3 to be the best in the series. Some were annoyed by the seeming lack of control during battles, but I say you had MORE control and quickly acclimated (sp?) to the differences. It was improved in Gameplay and graphics, and I thought the story was just as good even though it was a tad more non-linear. The same could not be said for SD4 for the playstation, which was called "Legend of Mana" in the US. That brings us to the SD1 remake...

The Graphics are halfway between SD3 and SD4. That is quite impressive. They are very detailed, but the sickenenly cute visuals of SD4 are peeking through in this one, whereas in SD1-3 they weren't as obvious because they didn't put as much detail in them.

The gameplay is a modified version of the original game... Instead of charging by sitting still, you charge by attacking, ala SD3, but like the original, it takes a lot longer to charge. It's not as good of a fighting enging as Sd3, but it sure beats 4 (they only had left and right sprites, no up and down... that was annoying) In addition to that, they addded some features to this one, such as a bestiary that, once you defeat a monster for the first time, it tells you the best way to kill them... That was pretty cool.

Music: The music was improved over SD1 because they used better instruments than the gameboy could offer... It was great to hear Lester's theme, only the second song I ever played on the piano, in a more realistic instrument... The only problem I have is that the GBA sound always ends up sounding like a Genesis... They made the graphics better than the SNES, why couldn't they have fixed the sound?

Plot: It was essentially SD1, but they added a lot... Beefed up dialogue, expounded plot points, new character, and even the ability to play as either character, which opens up the girl's story, which you had to mostly guess in the original... The thing is, it doesn't look, sound, or play like the original game... That means for those of you who got your start on FFA, you wont find much that's familiar to give you that nostalgic feeling... It is not the same game...

Overall: I Still love this game, though it doesn't replace the original SD1. It's not as good as SD3, but it is interesting to continue the series when, in my opinion, SD4 didn't do that well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:03 pm

I will have to say that Sword of Mana has the easiest class change system I've ever seen.
But I guess that's to be expected...

MasterDias

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews